Various old shops, now gone.

Hepworths tailors was next to Pearson's above was Stanley Barber's Hairdressing school, John Collier tailors was at the bottom of exchange walk now a Wimpy's it was next to the Horse and groom, Warring and Gillow was on King street and Jessops was above it. Long Row where Littlewoods was use to be The Black Boy Hotel, other side of town where Farmers was next to it was the Flying Horse Hotel next to that was the Exchange pub if you were lucky you good pick up a good time girl or if you wanted one with a past sell by date you went to Yates.

I use to set a little old ladies hair (Mrs Oakland) and she used to tell me about Mr Griffin and Mr Spalding as she was friends with them, they started there store on markets selling haberdasher then they moved into a small shop where it is now and the rest is history.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before self-service.  When there was a sales assistant in the middle of the counter at M & S.  

Posted Images

Point of order re Griffin and Spalding . They met working at another department store in London before coming to Nottingham . Not sure they were ever market traders .

Both Mr Griffin and Mr Spalding were dead by 1932 . Some history here :

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4908&page=1

Could be right DAVIDW it just goe's to show don't believe everything your told.

• 3 months later...

Loving this old thread ! We used to get the bus back from town to Wilford Hill from this stop, and remember Macfisheries so well - I'd been wondering since discovering this forum this weekend whether I'd see it and Hey! Presto! Thanks (2 years late!) Merthyr Imp! And others (very nostalgic seeing that logo of a circle with the saltire in it and four wee fishes!)

Only I don't remember these banana and chocolate coloured buses - the ones I recall were mainly the beige and olive green ones, they were perhaps more 70s livery.... it may be because I was very young in the 60s... :biggrin:

These were West Bridgford Urban District Council buses which ran from the Market Square to West Bridgford and Broad Marsh to Clifton. They ceased running in 1968 when they were taken over by Nottingham City Transport. I assume you're referring to the latter by a 'beige and olive green' livery. Not just plain green and cream?

• Upvote 1

I used to work in Market Square House over looking the Market Square. You always had a good view of what was going on.

I seam to recall that Pearl Insurance was on the corner opposite Burtons and the caretaker of the building was rumoured to live in an annex on the roof.

Never really used Macfisheries as it was on its last legs in the early 1970s.

These were West Bridgford Urban District Council buses which ran from the Market Square to West Bridgford and Broad Marsh to Clifton. They ceased running in 1968 when they were taken over by Nottingham City Transport. I assume you're referring to the latter by a 'beige and olive green' livery. Not just plain green and cream?

I'm learning a lot... Many nice examples of liveries here: http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Old-Bus-Photos/questions/nottingham_area_bus_photos.php

• 5 months later...

I worked in town and passed Macfisheries on my way.Burtons....my mam used to ask me to call in to get cheese for Dads snap,I've never seen so many different cheeses,I used to treat myself to some gherkins,love them...wonderful shop.

Ooh!! gherkins, luv ' em!! Mac fisheries used to sell Bicks cucumber burger relish..the green one,can you still get the red one?? Had a bad accident with my eye when I was younger and practically lived in Ropewalk eye hospital, called in Mac Fisheries every time to buy a large glass jar of Libby's orange juice,as I was waiting to see Dr. Haworth for eons!!

• 1 year later...

Another photo of a bus which includes a Macfisheries in the background. This is Carrington Street - about where the entrance to Broad Marsh Centre is now - and the West Bridgford bus is travelling into the city centre.

nFF55BC.jpg

I agree, and it made me double check everything; the bus crew were obviously planning ahead. This is a wider view of the area; MacFisheries is the building on the far right, and the bus was in the roundabout on the left. The building on the left (Dunn & Co) is still there, but everything else was buried under the Broad Marsh Centre.

D6D6w6H.jpg

Cliff Ton

Was  this were the gas show rooms used to be?

As a callow youth (student) I had jobs at Macfisheries, Burtons food shop and Burtons tailors - not all at the same time. Macs was next to the bank on the market square. Burtons was under the council house and Burtons (some called it the 'fifty bob tailors') was on the corner of Clumber St facing what is now viccy centre.

Sacked from macs for wrapping a frozen salmon round the head of a bullying supervisor. Left Burtons foods of my own accord. Was 'advised' that maybe retail mens wear was not my forte after a whole week without selling a single item. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

A bloke walks into a pub, goes up to the bar and orders a pint of mild, the landlord notices that the left arm of his suit coat is hanging loose and says to the drinker, "Where did you get that?", the bloke replied "Dunkirk" and the landlord said "The drink is on me".

A little while later another bloke comes in and orders a pint of bitter and the landlord notices that the right arm of his suit coat is hanging loose and says "Where did you get that?", The bloke replied "El Alamein" to which the landlord responded "Have this drink on me"

An hour or so later another bloke comes in and orders a double scotch with ice, the landlord couldn't help but notice that both arms of his suit coat are hanging loose and asks "Where did you get that" and the bloke says "Burton's and its going back in the morning"

I'll get me coat then shall I?

#119 Oz, surely the man walked into Mac Fisheries, walked up to the counter and asked for a nice cod fillet.

On 31/05/2017 at 2:07 AM, mary1947 said:

Was  this were the gas show rooms used to be?

On 31/05/2017 at 9:24 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Mary the gas show rooms was on Parliament Street, corner off Glasshouse Street. 

And the building is still there today but has been empty for several years.

4nP6IQ4.jpg

In the late 60s/ early 70s I remember a little shop called 'things to love'

They sold hippy type clothes and collectables such as old toys I used to find it fascinating 

I thought it was up a little street at the side of the theatre royal,but either the street has dissapeared or the shop was somewhere else.

Can anyone remember it?

I don't remember such a place, but if it was at the side of the Theatre Royal, could it have been Pennyfeather's ?    

Look at post #95 onwards on this thread  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/2541-shops-etc-on-goldsmith-street/?page=4#comment-37819   The way it's described could be what you are thinking of.

Cliff Ton sorry I was thinking of the Electric show room's. Which used to be some were near the fountain and woolworths.