Various old shops, now gone.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before self-service.  When there was a sales assistant in the middle of the counter at M & S.  

Posted Images

Hubby is pretty sure it was on the same side as the Odeon. Maybe the shop turned into Austin Reed's afterwards?

Austin Reeds was on the opposite side of the street to the Odeon in the seventies. Not sure about MacFisheries.

Yes it was definitely Burtons, Mick. A very nice store that my mum used to shop in. For some reason when I was thinking about MacFisheries I was thinking about those premises. No notion of it though really.

I remember there being quite an ornate Fish counter, a bit like Harrods.

We were far too poor to shop there, but the food smells were great.

What ever happened to that company?

Ah yes, the smells!

I'm not sure what happened to Burtons but my memories of it cease at about the time the supermarkets came in. I wonder if that was a factor as shopping at the like of Burtons entailed lugging the stuff home on the bus.

In our locality in nearby Arnold we had the likes of a small 'Fine Fare', the Co-op, and Sainsbury moving in and they quickly became favoured. None of them a patch on Burtons though.

I rember the "Burtons" market too - but more especially, the distinct smell it generated in the Exchange!

I loved Burtons, and the smells. In the 60's when I went in town on Sat mornings, I'd get bacon, cheese, ham. They'd slice the bacon on a machine, slice the cheese with a wire, and carve the ham off the bone. Hams would be hanging from hooks above you. My friends aunt worked in the wine and spirits dept, so we'd go in for a chat. I think the greengrocery shop was seperate and is now where the Nottingham Tourist office is now.

My mum worked in Burton's during the war. She told the story of coming home with a bag of Granny Smith's apples, on the No. 22 bus. She sat upstairs, and ate an apple as she rode along. A kid was watching her, and as she neared the end of her apple, he said 'giz us your coggin, missus' Instead she gave him an apple and his eyes nearly popped out of his head. Hard to believe other folks would eat your coggin, but that was the war for you. Shortage of everything.

• Upvote 1

Coggin being the core ?? never heard it called that though...

And as for the smells I always used to go through the fish market in the 'Vicky Centre' just to enjoy the smell (Nowadays SWMBO won't let me now cos she is allergic to fish)

I remember that great fish display in Harrods and had to take SWMBO in there when we were in 'the smoke' last time (She was well impressed but only looked at it from the doorway)

I had SO forgotten Burtons!

I always thought it was a little bit of Harrods (although I hadn't actually ever seen Harrods) - Very occasionally I'd go in and walk around!

Thanks everyone - funny how MacFisheries has faded in the memory. It was on your left if you stood on the steps - I too think it may have become Austin Reeds, but not for sure.

Does anyone know if it was part of a chain or a one-off in Notts - I don't remember any others anywhere.

Austin Reeds was on the opposite side of the street to the Odeon in the seventies. Not sure about MacFisheries.

I think that may have been Burton's the tailors - sort of on the corner with Queen Street? Or maybe it was Hepworths?

I think that may have been Burton's the tailors - sort of on the corner with Queen Street? Or maybe it was Hepworths?

Burtons tailors was (or maybe still is)on the other side of the Council house (Smithy Row)

I used to collect from Mac Fisheries in Grimsby in the early 80's a very big place IMMSC so I'm pretty sure it was a national conglomerate

Hubby still convinced Macfisheries was near the Odeon, nr the furniture store on the corner [now the library] He said Parr's pork shop was opposite. I had forgotten all about Parr's, they used to be everywhere.

Parrs were based in a factory on Lilac Grove Beeston I think Pork Farms (Under the guise of F.W. Farnsworth or Northern Foods) Bought them in the late 70's early 80's

I used to do my shopping in MacFisheries when I first married. It was definitely opposite the old market square tram stop where the Wetherspoons pub is now. After MacFish it was Halfords. I shopped there 'cos I worked above the Lloyds Bank and it was the nearest shop for me. There was another MacFish on Mapperley Top 'cos my mum used to go there. I think that's a travel agents now.

Burton's - like someone said it was too posh for the likes of us. I used to go in when I was feeling flush and buy a posh loaf - I think they cost twice what they would anywhere else but you just felt so good walking along with your posh paper bag! unionflag

Here goes - from memory.

MacFisheries was on South Parade.

The gents outfitters under the Council House was Hector Powe. Austin Reed were on Angel Row just up from the Odeon. Burton's had several outlets in town - on the corner of Friar Lane and Beast Market Hill and also at the corner of Clumber Street oposite the Corner Pin. Hepworth's were on St Peter's Gate where McDonald's are now.

Other notable gents' outfitters were Bell's on Pelham St and Will Hill in Trinity Square.

Can anyone remember where John Collier (the window to watch) was In Nottingham?

And yes Tug did work for a couple of years at Lloyds on Beastmarket Hill.

Was John Collier on Wheeler Gate somewhere? Seem to remember it wasn't far from Burtons at the bottom corner of Friar Lane.

Another men's outfitters was Hornes (Hornes Brothers). It was in the building at the bottom right-hand corner of Clumber Street. I worked there for precisely three weeks as a sixteen-year old in the mid-seventies. Easily the worst job I ever had! What I particularly recall about it was that due to the proximity of the Council House one could hear the chimes of Little John every single quarter of an hour all day long. Boy those days did drag!

How could I forger Horne Bros! And, a little further out of town, Price and Beale.

I'm having second thoughts about the location of Hepworth's though - I may have confused them with Jackson The Tailors.

In fact I'm pretty sure that Jackson The Tailors (a subsidiary of Burton's) were on St Peter's Gate and Hepworth's were on Long Row West close to Pearson's.

How could I forger Horne Bros! And, a little further out of town, Price and Beale.

I'm having second thoughts about the location of Hepworth's though - I may have confused them with Jackson The Tailors.

In fact I'm pretty sure that Jackson The Tailors (a subsidiary of Burton's) were on St Peter's Gate and Hepworth's were on Long Row West close to Pearson's.

I'm certain you're right there about Hepworth's. I bought my first suit in that store!

The Horne Brothers store had a history which included being Skinner and Rooke department(?) store. Before my time but my partner's mother worked their as a young woman. She left these shore some fifty years ago so it's a while back we're talking. A quality store apparently.

bu99er me! I remember Lloyds too - I kept my overdraft there! I do now rememebr MacF turning into Halfords.

I did a Google on images for South parade and Slab square nowadays - can't say I think it's much of an improvement, but maybe you need to be there!

I must be totally senile - I'd forgotten Clumber street - and I must have walked down it every day for three years!

Thinking about Tug reminds me that back then you could actually speak to the police without being too worried as to what might happen - these days they scowl at me and i hurry by - and I'm respectable now!

I have made a New year's resolution to come back to town in the New year and walk around breathing it all in again. maybe I'll get to have a beer with a couple of you guys! :smile: