Charlie

Various old shops, now gone.

Grand photo Ian, not only Commercial Square around which a lot of my childhood revolved, but on your photo it's raining!! 

I have a photo of the building in 1875 when it was occupied by a chemists, Huskinsons, who also offered dentistry facilities!

• Like 1

Cheers Commo..i know the housing and damp conditions etc..but it just seems they didn't get the balance right.

My Mam would take me shopping all around these parts..i am sure we went down Union Rd.one day to a shop selling lino..and mats..the yellow vinyl ones..that were grainy.

"Nothing on tick" was scribbled on the back of a cardboard box hanging up.

Was always an area for niknaks.

You and other members must have some fond memories.

A bevvy of business's all now gone..63792.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgAbacus Agency..just peeking behind the Cortina...Brentnalls music shop..purchased a pricey gold top from there..next( upstairs) was Gladrags..run by my Mates Mum ..Mrs.Smeeton.Josiah Brown Barbers are further up.Did he sell walking canes and pipes and tobacco also?

Out of shot would be Moss Bros, The Classic and Skipton Building Society.

• Like 2

Baker & Plumb...1970's.56484.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThanks again to the work of Reg Baker..taken from ouside Gestetner Offices.The narrow St.is Derby Street and an Equestrian Shop can be seen.

The Strathdon Hotel takes up most of what was once Vernon St.

Before i left Nottm a Bargain Suit Shop was at the back of these shops.

• Like 2

We once had a shopfitting job on at B & P, to get all the brick rammle out from the 1st floor we contructed a chute & I parked my wagon on the road with the chute on the back, that canopy was strong enough to walk on ! Near to where rhat J4 van is parked.

About 1970-71 ish !

All weekend work I remember, luvely jubbly

• Like 1

Nice memory Catfan..i post these photos to hopefully stimulate more posts and thus develop memories and conversation!

• Like 1

Exactly & thank you.

• Like 1

Before McDonalds.67045.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgWigfalls, Early Learning Centre and Millets on a deserted but sunny Exchange Walk.

• Like 2

Good one Oz!..i never ventured next door for a game of Bingo..might have vanished in 1978?

8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Before McDonalds.67045.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgWigfalls, Early Learning Centre and Millets on a deserted but sunny Exchange Walk.

When I worked in the city centre, I was walking past that Wigfalls when two scrotes ran out with a portable telly. I followed them up Exchange Walk and managed to attract the attention of a copper in Slab Square. They were followed into another shop and arrested. The Wigfalls shop manager, who actually knew who I was, never even said ta.

• Like 1