Hyson Green

Ian, The printers were virtually opposite Mosley Street. The pub on Noel Street was on the corner with Berridge Road, a shippo's pub named the Carlton Hotel, my mate was barman there in the 70's.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere earlier, I've mentioned that everyone on Nottstalgia is related to everyone else. The name Corpe is uncommon around here, but it's in my family history as my mother's maiden name. I have t

EY UP Mess,you lucky man,...........most bald men will never admit they are,i started thinning at the front at about 20,so changed my hairstyle from a DA to a Beatles to hide it,then it took me a few

As a kid I too used to find bald blokes somewhat intimidating especially men who were completely hairless. I'm still a bit wary even today. Bizarre and irrational I know and made worse because it

Mr Digby use to own the Langham in the 1970s he also owned the White Hart glasshouse st very popular with the Irish

As for me I have lived in Crickets Rest Sneinton. The Nottingham Arms Radford. And The Spread Eagle Alfreton road

Worked for Tony Digby about 3years as barman in both pubs but liked the Langham best!!

Hyson Green: a quick glance!! Queued for bread from Morley's during the bread strike..'79, bought my first pair of cowboy boots from Roses, the first ghee sweet shop I ever saw ( royal),dated a very posh girl from Manning School,played nick in Gregory Boul..library, looked at H and E mag in crofts newsagent, supped tea in that old caff on Patterson rd.watched Resnick being filmed.

Hyson Green....anyone recollect an Uncle of mine. a gent called Herbert (Bert) Corpe from Hyson Green?

Family folklore indicates he enjoyed a drink and drank in most watering holes in Hyson Green, Sneinton and around the Lace Market.

Born in Hyson Green in 1925...enlisted in the Fleet Air Arm re WW2...on demob, married Ella Jean Reaville and migrated to Australia in 1951.

Somewhere earlier, I've mentioned that everyone on Nottstalgia is related to everyone else.

Hyson Green....anyone recollect an Uncle of mine. a gent called Herbert (Bert) Corpe from Hyson Green?
Born in Hyson Green in 1925...enlisted in the Fleet Air Arm re WW2...on demob, married Ella Jean Reaville and migrated to Australia in 1951.

The name Corpe is uncommon around here, but it's in my family history as my mother's maiden name. I have traced links with at least two people named Herbert Corpe born before 1925, but that's because I haven't (yet) got round to investigating more recent arrivals. And my Corpe people lived in Radford / Lenton, so not too far from Hyson Green.

If you have any more background info on your Herbert (PM if necessary) I might be able to make a connection !

UPDATE

I've done a bit more digging; I'm pretty certain I have a direct link between Herbert's parents and my great-grandparents.

• Upvote 2

You've probably found this now, having just seen your message and then the update, but Herbert Corpe (born 1924, not 1925) appears to have been the son of Herbert Corpe and Ada Shaw (married 1918)

Off to look for Elizabeth!

annswabey & Cliff Ton,

Bert was born in 1924 however, the shipping list for the journey to Australia shows him as being born in 1925.

Not to worry.....We are talking about the same Bert Corpe.

Cliff Ton, I will send you a PM with details as I know them, including information from the original Marriage Certificate of the pair.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone, I don't suppose anyone has any information about the cafe on Bentinck Road, during the 1980s. As I am trying to find out more about it and the bloke who used to run it/live above it.

It's to do with my search for Ken Smith, and that I'll be going to see if he's at a certain place in Nottingham tomorrow, as I have been ill lately and have had to put of possibly tracking him down :)

I have been given a possible location for him, so fingers crossed.

Anyway, the cafe on Bentinck Road in the 1980s, I just wanted some more info on it, if anyone has any? or photos would be great, thanks :D

This was the ONLY cafe on Bentink Road the time you mentioned. (I lived just around the corner) later '74-'86 I drove buses past their everyday !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9619503,-1.1699251,3a,75y,325.02h,87.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQBAWhc0L5yX66EbwwAqx_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly the first two shops was the cafe, at one time the cafe was called "George's Cafe" in the late '70s it was completely re-furbished & the upper floors were converted in to flats. After the modernisation the name changed to something like the "Copper Kettle" cafe.

An old school mate of mine was involved in the renovation.

Google Street view from 2008.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9619399,-1.1699413,3a,75y,89.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLUCaJsGmMu5FJ1YCpv1aKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, that's the one. But I still can't track down Ken Smith who used to live there in the 1980s.

I was given one location that he may be at, from what Ashley said a while back. But unfortunately I've not been able to find Ken yet.. Although I will pop back over to the residential home this week and ask one of the wardens, as the people who live there don't know of any Ken Smith's living there. :(

I know that the flat above the cafe, was his last known address in 1985. But all I have is this info,

Ken Smith

1+3 Bentinck Road (Then he's gone over the D, with a B or vice versa)?.

Radford

Nottingham.

I have searched at that address, but he is no longer there. And I have asked people in the shops nearby, but still nothing.

That's the only Bentinck Road in Radford, Not unless I am missing something?.

That's all I have, his name and his last known address, sorry.

I know that he wants me to find him and contact him, but I've been searching since I was 18 years old, and I'm now 33, but I have to find him because he saved my life when I was a baby, and found me the family I have today, I'm adopted you see.

I just want to find him and thank him for doing so, also to put a face to a name and see how he is.

I won't give up until I have found him, he's my father.

Sorry for this guys, Just thought this would be the best place to search and get help with this quest. :(:)

Best of luck finding Ken Smith SamPanther. I vaguely remember a Ken Smith who was a cycling contemporary in the 50's. He would be about 80 now.

#100 that street view brings back memories. Bentink Rd School was my first school and I lived almost opposite, near the bottom of Peveril St. I don't remember there being a cafe there in the 40's or 50's.