Hyson Green

Thought I should help to clarify...

Jackie Trent was divorced from Tony Hatch and is now married to Colin Gregory.

Jocelyn's was run by Walter Gregory, father of Colin and Keith Gregory. Both sons worked there; neither took over the running of Jocelyn's, the premises of which was sold to Granby's.

Colin Gregory was in the police, and was a Motorcycle Cop (although other bits as well) before he started the bike shop at Daybrook. This expanded around the corner of Mansfield Road and Ribblesdale Road before moving up to the old Wards Garage premises on Mansfield Road. I think that this was the same people (Ward's) as the garage on Hucknall Road although I wouldn't put money on my word here.

Colin sold the business to Keith, semi-retired for a bit and Keith and his business partner took over the business as Gregory Motorcycles (upstairs at the premises at Mansfield Road, before it moved to Carlton). Sadly, Keith died of a heart attack some years ago and I'm not sure that there is a Gregory Motorcycles anymore.

Hope that helps :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere earlier, I've mentioned that everyone on Nottstalgia is related to everyone else. The name Corpe is uncommon around here, but it's in my family history as my mother's maiden name. I have t

EY UP Mess,you lucky man,...........most bald men will never admit they are,i started thinning at the front at about 20,so changed my hairstyle from a DA to a Beatles to hide it,then it took me a few

As a kid I too used to find bald blokes somewhat intimidating especially men who were completely hairless. I'm still a bit wary even today. Bizarre and irrational I know and made worse because it

Welcome

Thanks for that.

Colin Gregory I knew I knew that name from somewhere.

I thought I migh find a picture of Colin on Bobs NottsCops Site, but he must be the only traffic man thats not on there!

...he's my Dad.

Now THIS is what Nottstalgia is all about! What an amazing coincidence, and a great contribution to the site!

Welcome to Daisy from the far side of the pond!

Yes I can remember buying a battery for a Honda 50 (ETV 8C) in the early/mid seventies from there. There was also a very good push-bike shop called Ralph Holmes just down from there on the corner of Wilkinson Street.

Bought a Triumph Bonneville from Roy Whartons, £120, (£25 deposit and 7/6d a week for 10 years or something daft via RIGP) nothing but trouble, snapped primary chain and wrecked chaincase after 2 days, finally total engine blowup after oil pump failed, dumped it back on him and never did pay for it! He built a "Wharton Special" (said such on tax disc) a Velocette KSS or KTT OHC engine in homemade frame, Dave "Death Wise" Frost (if anyone knows him) bought such. As for the bike shop recall the name Ralph Holmes, but always knew that shop as Jackie Claytons, remember when still at school went over a kerb stone on the forest at speed in the dark (never fell off) on my elswick hopper 3 speed benelux geared bike ( on the drip from Rains on Carrington St. via Progressive cheque) Clayton said needed 2 new wheels, AC sports on Haydn Rd bashed such straight with new spokes cheaply no problem

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My Uncle, Bernard Banks used to run a motorcycle repair shop off Peas Hill Road for many years. I'm sure it was up Raglan Street on the right short distance from the top of the steep hill.

My Uncle, Bernard Banks used to run a motorcycle repair shop off Peas Hill Road for many years. I'm sure it was up Raglan Street on the right short distance from the top of the steep hill.

Remember him up Raleigh Mews, how did he lose those fingers?

No idea Ashley, he never had much to do with his nephews and nieces, bit of a miserable bu99er most of the time. He was Dads "half Brother" I recall Dad having engine problems with a car, so drove up to see if Bernard would help him sort the problem out. Bernard was "just too busy" I never had a lot to do with him. Dad's other Brother, Sid, was a biker from way back after he'd done his war service, right up until he left the UK for NZ in the early 50's. He passed on last year, was in his late 80's.

• 6 months later...

Hello - Horace Rogers was my Grandfather, I saw he was mentioned here and am interested to know if any of you knew him or had any photos of his shops etc. I am actually looking for a bike frame that I think he made possibly call Paragon. But anything about him or his shops would be interesting.

In answer to an earlier question. His stepson was Carl. But his daughter my mum is Heather.

my uncle was a big mate of horace rogers, or so I was told, he was born 1902, does that fit in? Paragon bikes and frames were made in Hull Yorkshire, Paramount ones were made in I think Mansfield though with an Arnold and Haydn Road Sherwood connection (AC Sports shops)

my uncle was a big mate of horace rogers, or so I was told, he was born 1902, does that fit in? Paragon bikes and frames were made in Hull Yorkshire, Paramount ones were made in I think Mansfield though with an Arnold and Haydn Road Sherwood connection (AC Sports shops)

Yes that would work I think Horace was born in 1909?? What was your uncles name?

• 2 years later...

I recall an 'Elmo' supermarket on Radford Road.

It was bought out by Tesco, and I worked there for a week or so.

And many many years earlier, I worked at the J Farrands grocery store further up towards Bentinct Road on the same side. This was part of the Marsdens Stores empire.

Ah memories - ain't they good!

TTFN

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Two great buildings, as a mod I bought all my scooter chrome from Warton's and years later whilst working for Shipstone's I drank in the Scotholme every single lunch time, Monday to Friday. Lovely memories and some good times.

• 3 weeks later...