Hyson Green

OK, I aslo lived in Hyson Green on Gregory Boulevard/Radford Road crossroads - just where the trees are to the left on the satellite pictures.

Across the road were shops - a post-office and a pie shop - are all I remember.

Going left at the crossroads with radford road was a laundrette. On one corner was a concrete apartment block, small estate (?) but I can't remember what it was called.

On the city side of the crossroads was a small supermarket and a little up the road was a greengrocers, just on the left at the bus-stop. Across the road was a pub.

Those are the bits that I remember - can anyone fill in the gaps?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere earlier, I've mentioned that everyone on Nottstalgia is related to everyone else. The name Corpe is uncommon around here, but it's in my family history as my mother's maiden name. I have t

EY UP Mess,you lucky man,...........most bald men will never admit they are,i started thinning at the front at about 20,so changed my hairstyle from a DA to a Beatles to hide it,then it took me a few

As a kid I too used to find bald blokes somewhat intimidating especially men who were completely hairless. I'm still a bit wary even today. Bizarre and irrational I know and made worse because it

Have a little knowledge of the area. I think the large concrete block of flats you are thinking of was Braidwood Court. On the corner of Radford Road/Gregory Boulevard was Staddons Bed Shop which had been in Hyson Green for decades but I believe it has recently closed. Further along Gregory Boulevard was the Hyson Green Police Station later taken over by Nottingham Social Services. Adjascent to that was the Victorian Public Toilets, one of the last to have a full time attendant who kept the place spotless and polished the brass fittings. These were next to a private house which was occupied by a Nottingham City Council employee who worked in the area in some capacity. Next was Hyson Green Community Centre although what it was before I don't know, possibly a school. This takes us up to Noel Street Crossroads. On the Opposite side of the road was the Forest Park Hotel but don't know if it is still there.

On the opposite side of the road on Gregory Boulevard I seem to re-call the Bits and Bobs Emporium which was a second hand shop, a chemists and the bakers shop you mention.

There was also a large Woolworths on Radford Road near the corner. This later became an Asian Supermarket.. Memories coming back now. Also recall Clauds Cafe on the corner of Radford Road/Belper Street, Run by a West Indian who gave real value for money.

These were the times when Hyson Green was so busy on Friday/Saturday it was difficult to walk on the pavement.

I drove along Bentick Road from the direction of the Forest the other day, (for the first time in many years) I looked down Radford Road as I passed. There used to be a large department store on the first left hand corner. It had a rounded front with lots of glass 1930-40's?

I see its all now bricks at the front now.

The name Staddon's or something similar comes to mind. In the 70's it became a video rental shop.

• 11 months later...

Woolworths was on the left as you went down from the Bentinck Road end towards the Gregory Boulevard junction. I remember that when it was closing down (most likely in the early 1980's), they sold off all the stock at half price and it was packed. I queued for over half an hour at the checkout. Only as a child in the 1950's could I remember their shops being that busy. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it is going to be a common, but short lived sight, soon.

Further along towards the Gregory Boulevard junction was a branch of Boots which I think has gone. And on the other side of Radford Road on the corner of Gregory Boulevard was a Fine Fare supermarket which subsequently became a "Shopper's Paradise" (- sort of Kwik-Save type of place). On the right of Radford Road going down, in the vicinity of the junction with Palin Street, was an electrical shop called Alberta or something similar.

And sort of Hyson Greenish were some shops on Alfreton Road at the other end of Palin Street. Does anyone remember "Flo's Cafe".

Passing gregpry Blvd, going out of town, on the right corner (60's) was a derelect building, on the left side going up the hill was a Pram/Toy shop where I remember, whilst going to and from the 'tanner rush' at the 'Flea Pit' (Lenos), hanging my nose over Pelham Puppets.

Round the corner onto the left side of gregory blvd was a second hand shop that displayed its wares out on the pavement. Called 'Bits an Bobs'. Had a tall owner I remember him always wearing a brown dust coat.

Re Gregory Boulevard, there was and still is a Library after the toilets and before the former church was became Hyson Green Girls Club. Staddons is now an asian supermarket after being a fine fair for years, anyone recall the airdriven "money transfers system" in there? you paid and money wen off down tubes to a central till, recall getting some triang train loco in there, christmas pressie from an aunt, The newsagents mentioned was owner by a chap who had reputation of flashing cash in local pubs, one night he vanished and never seen again far as I know, rumour had it he was in foundations of the flats being built at the time. Gregory Boulevard is a mile long and in 1920's they had motorcycle timed sprints on it, unofficial but my uncle swore blind the police held up radford rd traffic when a rider approached, used to race with horace rogers there

No Horace Rogers for years had a motorcycle shop on Alfreton Road just below where still there Gaggs shop is now, Dave Needham's dad used to work there late 1960's, lowater street yard was run by Dennis Rogers, his son still has a garage/MOT station

Horace Rogers was a work colleague of my Dad's, prior to World War II - my first kid's bike was a gift from Horace.

He began with a cycle shop and expanded into motorbikes...the Reid's of Netherfield, of his era.

Subject to major family tragedy when his first wife murdered their two young children, before taking her own life.

Cheers

Robt P.

Paul Rogers had a unit down Little Tennis Street (Off Trent Lane) last time I bumped into him (About 1995) I used to be really pally with him as we both drank in and played pool for the Nags Head on Carlton hill.

Didn't know that re Horace Rogers, before my time. Remember the original Joselyns shop sort of across the road from the Langham? that too was a cycle shop, never met original owner but chap we thought of as Mr Joselyn around 1961 and onwards later moved to opp old general selling motorbikes, never remember a motorbike at old shop? His real name was ? Gregory, his son was police motorcyclist who packed that in to open Gregory's Motorbikes. Another shop who sold motorbikes was on the corner of Bentick Rd and Southey St, a TV shop! looked funny seeing motorbikes and tv's side by side with for sale labels. I remember they had a Norman, not a Nippy but a B4 250cc with square fin twin villiers engine that I fancied but never bought. Paul Rogers is still at Little Tennis Street, did me a MOT a few years ago and very fair

Gregory it was...son's name was Colin - I'd known him earlier at NCB Bestwood...unsure about the police motorbiker bit, he didn't seem the 'type'! When Colin had taken over the shop he eventually transferred it to the Mansfield Road junction with Thackeray's Lane at Woodthorpe, opposite The Vale pub...or, that could have been a second shop?

Cheers

Robt P.

I think a different business altogether? certainly the 2 shops both in business at same time with different trading names, pretty certain re police connection as heard from 2 different sources, the 2nd also said father and son didn't get on, but who knows? I wasn't aware Colin took over? maybe he did? or some partners moved in? or the old man just sold up? didn't see him, and then Granby's took over

Could well be...I rather assumed that Colin took over from his Dad, as I knew he owned Joselyn's and that Colin worked there. Certainly the Woodthorpe business was in the name of Colin Gregory Motorcycles

Cheers

Robt P.

Getting a bit off topic but Joselyn's was owned by Colin Gregory's father. Colin subsequently joined the police and was a motorcyclist there, but he gave that up to open the shop at Daybrook (which was a separate enterprise to Joselyn's). He subsequently moved the business further up Mansfied Road into the old Wards garage building. Eventually, he sold the business (and the majority of the building was taken over by a tyre/exhaust business).

Totally off topic, but Colin Gregory is now married to Jackie Trent, the singer/songwriter.

Ah Jackie Trent, as per Neighbours? and Ward's Garage, where was that? Seem to recall a garage of that name on Hucknall Road opposite the waterworks next to Quorn Hotel? (which incidently had a reputation of meeting place for bondage fans! :wub:) The garage was run by 2 brothers who originally started in an old stable or bakery (I think) off North Gate, bought couple of bikes off them

Sorry to appear ignorant but I thought Jackie trent was married to Tony Hatch. Just shows we ain't all as clever as we thought!!

Ward's garage was in the large building on the corner of Mansfield Road and Bedale Road at Daybrook. My recollection of their bikes was that they were agents for Laverda, Ducati and Moto Guzzi. I don't know if there was any connection with them and the people mentioned on Hucknall Road.

Jackie Trent was divorced from Tony Hatch in 2002.

Alvin Lee later of Ten Years After and Woodstock fame also played The Cherry Tree when band was called The Jaybirds, going back to hyson green one of few businesses that is still the same is Manchester Direct, next to the bank on corner of Greg Blvd.

No Horace Rogers for years had a motorcycle shop on Alfreton Road just below where still there Gaggs shop is now, Dave Needham's dad used to work there late 1960's, lowater street yard was run by Dennis Rogers, his son still has a garage/MOT station

did horace rogers have a son carl?....lived at wollaton