Hyson Green

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere earlier, I've mentioned that everyone on Nottstalgia is related to everyone else. The name Corpe is uncommon around here, but it's in my family history as my mother's maiden name. I have t

EY UP Mess,you lucky man,...........most bald men will never admit they are,i started thinning at the front at about 20,so changed my hairstyle from a DA to a Beatles to hide it,then it took me a few

As a kid I too used to find bald blokes somewhat intimidating especially men who were completely hairless. I'm still a bit wary even today. Bizarre and irrational I know and made worse because it

I drove along Bentick Road from the direction of the Forest the other day, (for the first time in many years) I looked down Radford Road as I passed. There used to be a large department store on the first left hand corner. It had a rounded front with lots of glass 1930-40's?

I see its all now bricks at the front now.

The name Staddon's or something similar comes to mind. In the 70's it became a video rental shop.

it was called Stadons, they had a a big clock outside with Staddons name on it. i was never late home because of that clock

• Upvote 1

Walked past Staddons hundreds of times. Mentioned before but the money chutes to accounts seemed very futuristic at the time.

Just down from Staddons, on the left is Palin St. As a teenager, Palin St Baptist Church with the youth club and scouts were quite important to me. The church is still there but no idea what goes on these days. My cousin was married there. I was baptised there. Some hot times with girls there too. :jumping:

My mate knew the landlord of the Langham & had many after hours drinking sessions in there, as well drinking they would shoot rats walking along the bar in semi darkness with air rifles !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

i worked at Staddons in 1968, from the November till March 1969, i was upstairs with the furniture and the top floor was for kitchens and bathroom, the window in the Cliff Ton #58 behind the clock is where we had our staff room, spent more time in there than in the shop, used to go out in an old van, delivering, with a gentleman who had a very large lump on his head, don't remember his name but there was a lady on the ground floor, haberdashery, who was the spitting image of Mrs Slocum, (are you being served). Staddons also had a branch at the bottom corner of Gregory Boulevard, now open ground, because of its location, between 2 slopes the cellar always got flooded, i was sent down the cellar once with a torch, saw a few bodies floating in the water, scared me witless till found out, of course, they were window dummies,

• Upvote 2

Robbie, I see that your old watering hole was the Scotholme.. mine too..though I often wandered down to the Groom on the same side of Radford rd. Great juke box and pool table upstairs!! After a shift in the Wendy house- two in the Scot ..then off to the groom,"child of the moon" by the Stones...two more then chicken n chips on the bottom of Noel st.. A soap opera them days surely were!!

It certainly was Ian but only lunch times but four days a week. On the friday we either went to the General Gordon to watch the strippers, The Palm Tree to play cards, The Lion or the Raven for a complete change.

But the Scotholme was my favourite, kept by the Trengroves then followed by George ?. I frequented the place between 1970-78.

Never like the Horse and Groom always thought it a bit posh.

I use to go out with a girl from Basford so spent the odd evening in the Shoulder of Mutton, which was different.

#72,

Ian, If l recall George was an ex miner and a amateur boxer in his younger days. I remember the Robin Hood printers opposite the brewery on Radford Road, tooked between a row of terrace house and the brewery's bottle warehouse.

Robbie: George would certainly turf you out!! Printers was exactly where you said.was Egypt rd opposite?? Funny really it was pubs or girlfriend's that added to my Nottm knowledge..both you lot would say!! The Haven..Old General..and a small boozer up noel st..painted cream.. lovely macko on draught. I drifted from job to job really,probably why i've got nowt now!! It was painting a house on Noel st. that took me to the Briton.. Another tale..plenty of memories in me noggin.. if nowt else!!