Hyson Green

Thank you everyone, you have all been very helpful. I'll keep on searching for a few more years, hopefully finding him one day :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere earlier, I've mentioned that everyone on Nottstalgia is related to everyone else. The name Corpe is uncommon around here, but it's in my family history as my mother's maiden name. I have t

EY UP Mess,you lucky man,...........most bald men will never admit they are,i started thinning at the front at about 20,so changed my hairstyle from a DA to a Beatles to hide it,then it took me a few

As a kid I too used to find bald blokes somewhat intimidating especially men who were completely hairless. I'm still a bit wary even today. Bizarre and irrational I know and made worse because it

Hello everyone, long time no see

I checked out Churchfield Terrace like Ashley suggested, in my search for Ken Smith from Radford in the 1980s.

But unfortunately he doesn't reside there.

I even phoned there head office, and they haven't heard of him and told me he doesn't live there either.

So I'm still searching for him.

Thanks to everyone who's been helping me, I'm sure I'll find him sometime.

• 2 months later...

Joselyn's was a robbing bxxxxxd used to charge a fortune for lambo bits,used to have a couple of lambrettas  sx 200 bored to 225 with wal phillips fuel injection ancilloti seat and exhaust and a tv 175 and vespa ss180,born and bred down the green from a big family the martins,and searcys we had fxxk all as kids but one thing we did have is good mates and good neighbours even though we row like hell we all had respect for old hyson green famalies,all the family went to berridge then the younger ones went to peveril,

As a young child, I went with my grandfather on Thursday mornings to collect his pension from Hyson Green Post Office. The postmaster there in those days was a chap with a bald head who, to me, seemed quite old. For some reason, I took a rabid dislike to this chap, whose name I can't recall. On occasions when my mother went in to buy stamps or birthday cards, which they sold on the opposite side to the post office counter, I insisted on remaining outside, such was the level of my dislike!

On one occasion, he came out to talk to me and I virtually stopped the traffic on Gregory Boulevard by screaming blue murder! Mum had to drag me away. She said he was a very kind chap whose own son was at Peveril with my sister but I didn't like him and that was that. He was there for years. Anyone know what his name was?

The name David has just popped into my head. I think that may have been the name of his son.

Jill, If your talking about the Post Office on Gregory Boulevard then the bald headed Post Master was Mr Clark. I was at Forest Fields Grammar School with his son Nicholas from 1961-66. He had an older brother who I think was called Chris.

Nick was at Berridge before FFGS and we used to go to see Notts County at Meadow Lane together around 1963-4. He had blonde curly hair and his mother used to remind me of Petula Clark.

I believe Nick took over the Post Office after his dad retired but he's probably retired now as well. He would be 66 or 67 now.

FYI Mr Clark was a nice guy. I remember him giving me a lift into town in 1967 when I missed my bus and had an important exam at Peoples College on Maid Marion Way.

• Upvote 1

Clark rings a bell, Mess. I knew someone would know. My mother obviously knew him and must have meant my sister was at Berridge with Nicholas who, from the dates you've given, was her contemporary. I will ask her about him but her memory isn't brilliant.

I've often felt guilty about my irrational dislike of that poor chap who, unlike most people I take a dislike to, had done nothing to deserve it!

As a kid I too used to find bald blokes somewhat intimidating especially men who were completely hairless. I'm still a bit wary even today.

Bizarre and irrational I know and made worse because it's generally not their choice.

I'm very lucky that at 66 I still have a full head of hair which is mainly dark brown with only a bit of grey at the sides.

If you knew my kids you'd realise it's bloody amazing actually LOL

• Upvote 2

EY UP Mess,you lucky man,...........most bald men will never admit they are,i started thinning at the front at about 20,so changed my hairstyle from a DA to a Beatles to hide it,then it took me a few years to admit I had a 'bald spot' at the back,so started having my head shaved number two style to hide that,...........now at 71 I have a number one head shave every two weeks,to hide the fact i'm nearly Bald,........bleddy game int it,..........good job i'm not vain...........lol.

• Upvote 2

Or known in the trade as a 'Monk-head' Jill......and the answer is a definite no,.....almost as bad as a Bobby Charlton 'comb-over'....lol.

• Upvote 1
On 2016-10-23 at 8:40 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

It's supposed to be dictated by the genetics of the female line, male pattern baldness. Looking at your maternal uncles, if any, should give a good idea of what may befall your own follicles, if you're a bloke.

That seems to be how it works for me. Here is my Mothers Dad (3rd from right, back row in the hat) with all of his siblings. These would be my Great-Uncles of course.

21wjut.jpg

• Upvote 1

That sounds about right.  My youngest son started losing his hair in his mid 20s, before that he had a fine head of thick hair but my eldest son hasn't lost any at all, he's 40 this week.

My male cousins on my mother's side are all bald and so were my mother's brothers.   Brother is bald too.