Tug Wilson, Commemorative Plaque?

What about a Plaque for Tug?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He definitely would not have continued to exist down here in OZ either.

Whose brilliant idea was it for the poor sods to be dressed up as quasi police officers?

Just asking for trouble. Big neon sign over their heads, I look like a policeman but I am not and have no real powers so abuse me all you like!

Do they let them out at night?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dan Hyndman (1940s Uniform) and Geoff Baker.

I remember me mam telling me that she was sitting in the Square one day wearing a pair of pointed shoes, when Tug Wilson came up to her and said ' do your toes go all the way to the ends'. To which sh

Tug Wilson just popping into his tardis - dont worry sarge i will be back before you know it

Posted Images

Lambs to the slaughter.

As previously mentioned on other threads etc, Mick, Nottingham Constabulary were famous throughout England back in our time for having the tallest police force. Would be interesting to put them up against the current cops and see how they measure up.

Their presence alone was sufficient to quieten things down. Remember about a dozen of us were upstairs at a cinema one night. Probably a bit noisy and some things might have been accidently dropped/launched over the balcony...not us though. One solitary cop appeared out of the dark and stood near the exit door behind us. None of us spoke or hardly moved until the end of the movie. Happened to us a few times and saw it occur with other groups but that was all it would take back in the late 50s, one copper!

Don't know what it is like now over there but here in Melbourne, it is patrols in pairs, threes or fours and at times, you would swear it was kids in fancy dress!

In 1975 I failed pre recruitment test because I was 1/2 inch short.

Pre amalgamation of City and County Forces Nottingham City was 6'00" minimum.

The county was 5'8". Now 'Equal Opportunities' has removed any 'height standards'

I remember when you saw a tall man out in Nottingham, you would always say,

"He must be a copper"

Height brings respect.

Height brings respect.

I'm not so sure that's true any more, Mick. Some of the scum out there on the streets nowadays are respecters of nobody, particularly those using substances. They'll have a go at anybody.

You are right Stu. It is a lovely thought to have police with enough size and muscle to sort anyone out, but unfortunately with the proliferation of lethal weapons, the police are still at a disadvantage. There is an old saying "A Smith and Wesson beats four aces."

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I recently heard that Tug Wilson was a pall bearer at King George VI's funeral in 1952, apparently because he was so tall. Maybe he was still in the Guards at the time.

I remember me mam telling me that she was sitting in the Square one day wearing a pair of pointed shoes, when Tug Wilson came up to her and said ' do your toes go all the way to the ends'. To which she replied ' does your head go all the to the top of your helmet'.

• Upvote 3

mick who was the other officer in the pic with casius clay and tug i remember him as he was often in the square at night with tugbut not his name.

Those were the days when 'Nottingham City Police' had height minimum of around 6 foot.

Unlike the short arses of today!

thanks rob wrighting a bit too small for me to read from the picture

When my uncle joined the City force after the war, he had no problem as he'd been in the Guards during the war so had already been proven to meet the height requirements.

Interestingly, when my brother applied to join Notts Fire Brigade in the early 70s, he was borderline for their height requirement. After he carried the interviewer up a flight of stairs without a problem, the height measure was "adjusted".

• Upvote 1

Danny Hyndman is in a picture with Tug earlier in this thread, and is a member of this forum so watch what yer say!

And I had not read the caption on the picture before I posted the image on another forum. asking if anyone knew who he was???

Reply from the other forum...

It is Geoff Baker who also served in the Guards and together with Tug Wilson carried the coffin of the King (Queeens father) As far as I am aware Geoff is still alive
  • 10 months later...