Tug Wilson, Commemorative Plaque?

What about a Plaque for Tug?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always thought there should be a plaque to commemorate Tug somewhere on the Square.

Theres even a plaque to commemorate Frank the Xylophone Man!

Is there one for Tug?

Tug is mentioned in many places here, and is held in high regard.

What do you recon that we have a whip round and try to arrange one?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dan Hyndman (1940s Uniform) and Geoff Baker.

I remember me mam telling me that she was sitting in the Square one day wearing a pair of pointed shoes, when Tug Wilson came up to her and said ' do your toes go all the way to the ends'. To which sh

Tug Wilson just popping into his tardis - dont worry sarge i will be back before you know it

Posted Images

Many years ago the City Council did put up green plaques commemorating well (and not so well known locals) and I could have sworn that there was one for Tug.

That said I've never actually seen it so it's either tucked away and needs to be moved to somewhere a bit more accessible or its been taken down at sometime and not replaced.

I'd like to see a plaque outside Nottingham Central (City Police HQ) commemorating the history of the force. Maybe might encourage those inside to emulate their illustrious predecessors.

And yes I'd contribute.

<EDIT>

I was right!

The project aims to establish a city-centre walk marked by 30 plaques — some are already in place — and will also take in nine tourist centres. The walk will start and finish in the Old Market Square and will be supported by a map to guide visitors around the points of interest.

It will start at a plaque to be placed in the square in memory of ‘Tug' Wilson, the 6ft 8in PC who was a well known figure as he patrolled the city centre during the 1950s and 1960s. There will be another plaque in the square for T Cecil Howitt, designer of the Council House.

Whilst appreciating that Tug's height and his demeanour made him an instant attraction to those in Slab Square, I felt rather sorry for the colleagues who often accompanied him.

Once knew a PC (Tony Twigg?) who worked with him...he said it was akin to being the 'minder' to a film star, as they strolled around the Square!

Cheers

Robt P.

OK, here's the gen.

When the Evening Post polled its readers about whom to commemorate with plaques in and around the city centre Tug came out top.

Unfortunately when Northcliffe took over the Post they decided to withdraw their sponsorship for the scheme - so the plaques were never installed.

On reflection putting up a plaque may not be as straightforward as it first seems.

First you need to get planning permission, then there's the cost of the plaque itself and finally the cost of installation and all that doesn't come cheap when your dealing with public bodies.

This does not suprise me in the least.

As for planning permission, I would think this would apply if you tried to get it on the Council house.

Do other businesses have to apply for planning permision to put up their signs.

I am sure we could find one business on the square that would host the plaque.

Did Frank Xylophone mans plaque need planning permission?

Maybe you could also ask them to reinstate the Blue Police box outside of Yates and then put the plaque on that? - just a thought.

Thats where I always remember him standing.

The Police Box in the 90s was stood at Headquarters, Sherwood Lodge, and was being

restored at that time. Where it is now? Who Knows?

Regarding Leed CityCouncil, Notts SHOULD do that?

And Memories of Tug o/s the box

001.jpg

http://www.nottscops.co.uk

• 6 months later...
The Police Box in the 90s was stood at Headquarters, Sherwood Lodge, and was being

restored at that time. Where it is now? Who Knows?

Regarding Leed CityCouncil, Notts SHOULD do that?

And Memories of Tug o/s the box

001.jpg

http://www.nottscops.co.uk

The thing is, if there were a plaque, the rset of the force would have to look up to him. Come to think of it, that is how it used to be - everyone did look up to him. Yes, let's have the box, the plaque and a police force with men in it half as good as Tug! Incidentally, at 5' 6" I seem to remember coming to just above his knees......

The Police box has been fully restored and stands outside headquarters at Burnstump, between Nottm and Mansfield.

Images Courtesy of Ady Clare

P1010095-1.jpg

P1010096.jpg

Is that David Tennant (Doctor Who) I can see poking his head through the window?

And who put a computer monitor on the floor to the front of it , It's not exactly going to use it !!!

Tug will be spinning in his grave at "his" box being relocated to "sheep dipper" country.

Tug was a City man through and through and got into a wee bit of trouble for wearing his old City insignia years after the amalgamation with the county sheep dippers.

Most City men were Ex Guards.

There was a lesser height restriction of 5'8" in the county, The Short Arses.

Now there is no height restriction, they are midgets.

I too like the old colour blue better and agree it should be back in the square. Nottscops site is good, saw a few names I remember from the 60's (Stuart Argyle and Jimmy Mckinley)

Val

I too like the old colour blue better and agree it should be back in the square. Nottscops site is good, saw a few names I remember from the 60's (Stuart Argyle and Jimmy Mckinley)

Another name comes immediately to mind

'Sooty' Leivers

Notts have had some great cops over the years.

The ultimate tributes upon their deaths, often come from the villains.

• 4 years later...

IT MIGHT BE RESTORED BUT YES COULOR COMPLETELY WRONG BLUE LOOKS TERRIBLE.

TUG WAS WELL RESPECTED BY EVERYONE SOME OF THE BIKER GUYS IN THE SQUARE WERE BIG GUYS QUITE A FEW WERE DOORMEN OR AS THEY WERE CALLED BOUNCERS AT THE TIME BUT I KNOW THEY ALL RESPECTED TUG AND HIS WAY OF KEEPING THINGS TROUBLE FREE IN THE SQUARE IN FACT I THINK IT WAS HIM THAT GAVE ALL THE DIFFERENT FRACTIONS THERE OWN AREA OF THE SQUARE AND HE MADE SURE YOU STAYED IN THAT AREA AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. CONVERSATION OFTEN GETS ROUND TO TUG AND OTHER NOTTS POLICEMEN WE REMEMBER IN FACT WE EVEN HAVE A PHOTO OF TUG IN THE BIKERS BAR AT THE WHITEHART..

MOSTS OF THE POLICE IN NOTTS NOW ARE WHAT I CALL PLASTIC POLICE AND NOT EVEN MANY OLDER PEOPLE HAVE THE RESPECT THAT WE HAD FOR THEM IN THE PAST

Another name comes immediately to mind

'Sooty' Leivers

Notts have had some great cops over the years.

The ultimate tributes upon their deaths, often come from the villains.

I remember Sooty we were only talking about him last week. Tug Wilson gave a friend of mine a clip round the ear and when he told his dad what had happened his dad clipped his other ear! If that happened today there would be a police enquiry and social services would be called to sort out his dad!

Mick, re #28.....regardless of image or nous of current law enforcement representatives in Nottingham; there was an offence of Hinder Police and that "person" responsible for the film and the commentary should have been a candidate if he ignored a warning re his actions.

It gives an impression that you can interfere with impunity in law enforcement matters and it just further encourages the lack of respect to laws; whether they are Statute or Law and no matter how minor in transgression!

I think the officer deserves congratulations for his professionalism and conduct whilst being subjected to non-stop hindrance by this "person" of the public!

Perhaps a little more education for the officers in the rudimentaries of law definition would have stopped the "persons" tirade in its track.

The Problem is Trevor, these officers are not connected in any way to the police.

They are not even PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers). They are council employees dressed as Police Officers.

So 'Obstruction of Police officer in the execution of their duty' does not apply.

The 'Videographer' would not have lasted long on Tug's Square.