Which village?

Should be an easy one for some of the knowledgeable posters on here.

It's a story that has always amused and interested me. Which Nottinghamshire village is reputed to have seen the invention of the pancake?

The pancake was invented in the early days of judism as a way of using up the last of your flour and eggs before the big fast began (Hence the reason for pancake day now)

Thats what I was told any way (You are going to tell me my mum was a despicable liar now aren't you ?)

I have found out that there is a place in East Bridgford called Pancake hill.

Local rumour has it that Linby was responsible for the origin of the pancake which, it is said, was first made there to honour the women of the village who defeated Danish invaders after their husbands had fled.

These words can be found hear. Their words not mine.

Linby is the answer I was looking for Bip. That's the story I was told as a kid. Linby is a lovely little village - a very interesting place too.

Linby and Papplewick are the only predominantly stone village in Notts. I believe

The top cross and the bottom cross

Linby docks and their association with child labour

The original stone quarries

A fascinating fount of local history.

Linby Docks relates to the two parallel streams which run either side of Linby Main Street carrying run off water from the Misk Hills westward to the River Leen.

Regularly blocked by vegetation including nettles and docks...hence the name.

Many local kids were sent in search of ocean-going ships - to no avail!

When I lived on the top end of Hucknall's Ogle Street, I had another Misk Hills run off through my garden...which then entered a tunnel/culvert to travel under the street, beneath the Co-op, and also joined the Leen by Hucknall Market Place.

Regular flow of brown trout through the garden; indeed one time - at 5am! - I found a chap and his young son both fishing with rods in my garden...so amazed I merely coughed, and they wandered away.

The stream could be very dangerous in torrent. At these times I often saw various drowned dogs and cats floating by...

Any doubters should put 78, Ogle Street, Hucknall, England into Google Earth. :excl:

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for that Rob.( I just couldn't picture any rivers deep enough in the area to warrant there being any'docks' ,but I would have fallen for it ,and gone to look for it)