Ice Rink in Long Eaton...

While searching another topic I came across this little snippet of useless information.

Long Eaton once had it’s own Ice Rink… it was situated on Orchard Street which is off Brook Street which is off Tamworth road…circa 1880..Fascinating isn’t it?

Bip.

We've got an ice rink now, Barkers Pond is frozen over !laughing!

While driving into Long Eaton yesterday I couldn’t help noticing that the Erewash canal in parts was frozen.

I knew this because the ducks looked as if they were walking on water.

Bip.

Hickling was a local village renowned for it's outdoor skating. There are stories of the villagers in the old days skating on the Grantham Canal there carrying lanterns. Quite a captivating scene it must have been.

Hickling Basin

hickling%20basin.jpg

I nearly moved to Hickling (I think it might actually be that house on the right of the church) in the 90's but I couldn't afford it (Lovely place though )

Yes many of those around the area, particularly with the complex sawley junction.

In fact I have a map showing Lock Lane Golf club left hand side of Lock lane from Tamworth Road,

as one big pond.

Yes many of those around the area, particularly with the complex sawley junction.

In fact I have a map showing Lock Lane Golf club left hand side of Lock lane from Tamworth Road,

as one big pond.

I remember when it was a pond - then a rubbish dump! It seemed to be nothing for a while - and was popular with the dirt bike crowd until it was developed into a golf course! Surprisingly, Lock Lane itself has hardly changed at all - especially after the level crossing!

I remember when it was a pond - then a rubbish dump! It seemed to be nothing for a while - and was popular with the dirt bike crowd until it was developed into a golf course! Surprisingly, Lock Lane itself has hardly changed at all - especially after the level crossing!

I remember the tip cause I learnt to ride a motor bike there in about 1972/3? The tip, as I remember was on the left as you drive down lock lane, all the land on the right was part of Grounds Farm owned by the Grammar family.

I also recal that in the tip, if you dug down, was full of old bottles, the really old ones that you see for sale in antique and curiosity type shops. Hundreds and hundreds of bottles. Wonder if they are still under the golf course?

I remember the tip cause I learnt to ride a motor bike there in about 1972/3? The tip, as I remember was on the left as you drive down lock lane, all the land on the right was part of Grounds Farm owned by the Grammar family.

I also recal that in the tip, if you dug down, was full of old bottles, the really old ones that you see for sale in antique and curiosity type shops. Hundreds and hundreds of bottles. Wonder if they are still under the golf course?

I'll get me spade.....

Bip.

You might be interested in THIS website. It is mostly about digging up bottles from the old dump (behind the old baths on Station Road - opposite Grange school).

Actually - for those interested in Long Eaton history, that web site is pretty interesting.

Behind the old baths is now the car park for the inddor bowls centre that the baths have been converted to. Then its all weather football pitches belonging to Long Eaton United and then the actual LEUFC ground.

Speaking of the baths, I remember being taken there for swimming lessons with school and freezing my you know whats off cause as I recall it wasn't in the summer time. Shame it went though cause in summer we would go there for a good half day, swimming and sun bathing inbetween. Good times.

Behind the old baths is now the car park for the inddor bowls centre that the baths have been converted to. Then its all weather football pitches belonging to Long Eaton United and then the actual LEUFC ground.

Speaking of the baths, I remember being taken there for swimming lessons with school and freezing my you know whats off cause as I recall it wasn't in the summer time. Shame it went though cause in summer we would go there for a good half day, swimming and sun bathing inbetween. Good times.

Sham - where and when did you go to school in Long Eaton? I went to Derby Road infants, then Longmoor, Wilsthorpe and finally the old Grammar School - I left the Grammar in 1970. At the time I was there, we used part of the Grange School as an annex - and rode our bikes between the two. Yes, swimming lessons were still held at the old baths and I agree it is a shame they took them down. The fountain was moved to Romorantin Place - but I believe has not functioned in a number of years and is now a giant plant-pot!

• 2 months later...
Wyvern Avenue. Its the ballast hole dug out for stone for the railway and ledt to flood. I'm told the fishing is good there. I think the fishing rights are owned by Soldiers and Sailors Club.

The fishing rights certainly used to be owned by the Soldiers and Sailors and a licence to fish on the pond was much prized when I was at school (I never had one!).

I also remember various rumours of the "Barkers Pond Monster" and the huge overgrown fish that supposedly were in there.

Barker's Pond was also the location where I caught my first site of a "mucky book" that I stumbled upon among the trees when I was about 12 or 13 !faint!

Sham - where and when did you go to school in Long Eaton? I went to Derby Road infants, then Longmoor, Wilsthorpe and finally the old Grammar School - I left the Grammar in 1970. At the time I was there, we used part of the Grange School as an annex - and rode our bikes between the two. Yes, swimming lessons were still held at the old baths and I agree it is a shame they took them down. The fountain was moved to Romorantin Place - but I believe has not functioned in a number of years and is now a giant plant-pot!

Sorry just seen this. I went to Sawley Infants, Dovedale Junior and then the Long Eaton School. I left in 1979 so our paths wouldn't have crossed.