Did You Live In Radford?

I shudda read back further?

Ation Corner

Heard a story once that the junction of Ilkeston road and Radford Boulevard was

called Ation Corner because on each corner was a Pub, a Church, a School

and a Pawn Broker. The Pub was Ruination, The School Education, The Church

Salvation but can't remember what the pawn broker was. Can any one help.

Last time i passed the Pawn broker was turned into a Butchers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Trevor last seen in Lincolnshire had a shop in Alford also had something to do with a World War Two reenactment society.

Indeed this is correct.

Trevor is my uncle and Amber (Kathleen) - now deceased, was my Dad's sister (hence my Aunt). I was born in 1972 in Derby.

Prior to the shop in Alford, Trevor and kath ran a hotel in Skegness - around the end of the 1970's into the 1980's. The hotel had the name "Derwent" in it and it was slightly set back from the sea front, on one of the streets.

They sold up and moved to Alford - in the market square, and owned a war memorabilia shop - this was useful for the war re-enactment. The shop relocated to another premises in Alford, prior to Trevor's retirement and Kath's passing.

Good people - and a part of the Alford community - i had many happy hours with them in both Skegness and Alford. Though i was too young to understand in the 80's - i also met many of the ladies who danced with Kath during her earlier working days.

They have one son, who is connected to the armed forces.

Cheers all

Neil

• 1 month later...

Why would anyone take a video camera into their local on an ordinary week night? would have thought they'd have waited till something special on? lol

Re cost of video camera's not sure of exact year but remember buying a tv for my son at Telescene on Broxtowe Lane and getting a free VHS video camera with it, mind you it was an Amstrad!

• 1 month later...

Sandos Pies !!! we used to go upstairs at the Bulwell cafe and have a Fourpenny Mix I believe it was a Pie peas and chips.

Sandos Pies !!! we used to go upstairs at the Bulwell cafe and have a Fourpenny Mix I believe it was a Pie peas and chips.

When I was a kid, a 'mix' was just chips & peas, either with gravy (free) or batter bits (free) !hungr!

• 4 weeks later...

The only pub left out of those that you named is the plough. Is now a micro brewery, and doing rather well.

Old Rose - demolished, as part of a new build of student accomodation

Marquis - currently boarded up.

Jolly higglers - was closed for years, now a Tesco express

White Horse - now a take away / cafe

The area around these pubs has been taken over by students, with numerous new builds of student flats, all of chettles yard has gone and been built on, as well as Skills depot, parts of the old Raleigh site on Faraday rd, Marathon Knitwear on Radford boulevard is also student flats.

Try looking on google earth, for a general view.

• 3 months later...

He used to tell the story of coming in late at night and trying not to wake his mam, so she wouldn't know what time it was. He'd time his opening of the front door with a passing train. He'd creep in and she'd yell, is that you Mick. He never got away with it. I knew him from the Ice4 Stadium, we were both in the Ice Racing Supporters Club.

• 6 months later...

i am a member of nottingham skills exchange based at the old tennison hall some of the pictures rescued by ron booth are hanging in our meeting room..these piscs are all various class photoesfrom we think windley school looks like posibly 50/60s ifanyone is interested i am sure you would be made wellcome to the friday morning breakfast club between 10.30am and 11..30am

Taxi Ray, it's such a shame the photographs on the above link have turned out so dark.

I know Ron Booth and very enthusiastic he is, for preserving Radford's history. :)

Well done Ron, where's your latest short story? :)

i too know ron through skills exchange and love his poems too.

The kid stood in the rubble could even be me, or someone I knew at the time.

We would play in those partly demolished houses.

A party demolished house like that we would knock the rest of the walls down.

Very often the houses were full of junk and old furniture that would probably be antiques today.

I remember finding a box of old postcards, some of the embroidered. Some were addressed to troops serving in the first world war

or were addressed to a radford address from them.

My younger brother reposted one of them around 1965 and it appeared in Evening Post because it had taken 46 years to arrive!

• 5 months later...

Hi New to this site

Although I lived in Chilwell on Saturday's I used to work in the Record Rondevious on the corner of Denman Street and St Johns Terrace, in or around 1966/1967 I caught the Barton's No 33 bus to Derby Road then walked to Radford, my Aunty Jean owned the shop with her husband Ken Mills.

Can anyone remember the record shop which also sold pictures of pop stars, records sold for 6/8d

Strange thing is my wife Pam lived on St John Terrace (maiden name Parfitt) and I used to see her walk past the shop, we met in the Brit down at Trent Bridge and have been married since 1973

For a short time we lived at Maun Avenue just off Hartley Road from 1974 - 1982.

New topic created for this question...

'Record Rondevious' Denman Street in Old Radford

• Upvote 1