• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

We moved to Bastion Street in Radford in 1967 and as it was an older house thought it would not be long before it was knocked down and we would get a council house - just looked on Google Earth and it is still there!! We paid 21/6d a week rent and remember one week we had to have a new dustbin which cost quite a bit of a weeks rent.

I worked at Players and OH at Raleigh so not far to work for either of us then worked part time in a corner shop - think it was on Foster Street which belonged to Burt and Joyce (no kidding and they lived near there).

I do remember on day taking some shopping to an old lady who lived across the road from us and there were pictures of 10 Years After on her walls and thought it strange she had all those up on her walls - think it was Alvin Lee who was her grandson

Hi Sussexred. Happy new year to you too...for some reason I can't send or receive messages, but maybe any of the members who have my email address can pm to you.....????

That would be good - nobody has yet.

Is there anyone out there able to pm me hippo girl's email address as she has requested?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

5526000_f520.jpg

Everyday life in Radford, as we all know.

I accidentally found out the history and background of this painting.

The painting Gabrielle d'Estrées et une de ses soeurs (Gabrielle d'Estrées and one of her sisters), by an unknown artist circa 1594, is of Gabrielle d'Estrées, mistress of King Henry IV of France, sitting up nude in a bath, holding what is presumed to be Henry's coronation ring, whilst her sister sits nude beside her and pinches her right nipple.[1]Henry gave Gabrielle the ring as a token of his love shortly before she died.

The painting is a symbolic announcement anticipating the birth of Gabrielle's first child with Henry, César de Bourbon. [2] Her maternity is expressed in three ways: her sister pinches the source of the new mother's milk, the servant in the background knits in preparation for the child, and the fire in the fireplace signifies the womb. The love between Gabrielle and Henry IV is expressed by the painting of a love scene on the back wall and by the coronation ring.

This painting is interesting in that everything is peculiarly biased toward left-handedness. Gabrielle's sister is pinching her right nipple with her left hand, d'Estrées is holding what is said to be King Henry IV of France’s coronation ring with her left hand, and the seamstress in the background is sewing with her left hand. Additionally, the painting hanging in the background is of the lower body of a naked person, but contrary to rumor, he is not holding his penis with his left hand. A piece of red fabric is draped over his genitals.

The painting now hangs at the Louvre in Paris. A sprightly British drama, Two Nudes Bathing, speculates upon the origins of the anonymous painting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, not been on here for awhile as I've been settling in to this new place :)

its going great.. apart from finding brick dust in places...small piles of it..lol well, I suppose thats normal in a building of this age? which is 1837est.

(I would assume its normal for a building of this age? what do you guys think? lol

also the fireplace brickwork is crumbling slightly at the bottom corners, (letting agents couldn't care less, as they are getting money for the place, so I guess.. out of sight, out of mind..is there thinking.

But we do like this place, as its the first place I've been in where I've been truely happy.

Also, Hiya Hippo Girl.. yes, I used to live in parkview court (which was awful!, mould on the walls and freezing cold, in my ex boyfriends 2 roomed flat, he only had 1 storage heater in that place, hence the mould and cold.. his flat was terrable) but online I saw that some in the same building as his, which were for rent, were not that awful, and done up nicely.. (but i thought, gah! I don't want to live anywhere near that creep..lol

oh my days!.

After I left my ex boyfriend at the end of 2010, I was single for awhile, then met another guy.. that relationship crashed and burned as well.. because all he wanted from life, was to work all the hours in the world.. and to have a kid of his own :/ even though I'd told him I could not have any.. he came out with this 6 months down the line, wanting a child of his own, on and on it went, he made me awfully upset.. as all he thought about was himself..

(met ex number 2 in 2011, left after 6 months or so)

Then he came out with.. that he only wanted me as a companion.. so I thought, no way! as I'd already wasted 6 months or so? anyway, I ended it, as I was being used..so I came home to Nottingham like a boomerang, and was quite happy with being a spinster and single in good old 2012. :)

Then boom! in june 2012 I attended an event put on by Pagan Pride, a fancy dress superheros and villians do. I went as cat woman..lol

I was there for afew hours, then my friend Maddi brought over this guy, he was dressed as, V for Vendetta.. and was wearing a mask!

she introduced us, and the rest they say is pretty good history :D

We hit it off straight away, and then he took off his mask,..and I still liked him, lol.

Been together ever since that afternoon! and are planning our hand-fasting as I write this (me being pagan of course :)

afew weeks later we we're engaged, and have never been so happy in our lives.

afew months after that we got this place, and moved in together, got a puppy..and have been on cloud 9 ever since.

Things are going well here, apart from the brick dust strangeness things are great here.

its defo not dark and dang in these houses anymore ;)

anyway, back to the thread! lol

• Upvote 1

forgot to put, I lived at parkview court, then cambridgeshire fens!, and now I'm back in Nottingham, :)

Hi Sussexred, long time no hear, my brother went to bramcote tech and then when the two schools joined forces, he was in the sixth form at the grammar with Jim.... He left in 1974....

Hi again hippo girl - after all these years I have made contact with Jim (through facebook). He has been living in Paris for many years.

• 2 months later...

I was born on Harrisons Row which is off St. Peters Street down at the right-hand side of The Plough Inn. My dad used to deliver beer there when he worked for Tennants. 14 cottages together with just 7 toilets at the end outside number 14. No bathroom, the bath hung on a nail outside the back door for use on a Friday night. Our garden backed onto the river Leen where I learned to swim. Not a good idea as it was often full of oil and burned bus tickets from Skills bus depot 100 yards away. Opposite Skills bus depot was the old debtors prison on St. Peters Street where my great-uncle Ted Blower lived with his wife Fan, and their simple son Frankie. Ted Blower was a cousin of the channel swimmer Tom Blower. I used to wheel our pram the length of St. Peters St., cross Ilkeston Rd to the gas works, and bring back a pram full of coke, a by product of making gas from coal. I went to Forster St. Infants School. We left there for Clifton in 1958 when the old place was demolished. A bedroom each and an indoor bathroom and toilet!

• Upvote 1

Opposite Skills bus depot was the old debtors prison on St. Peters Street where my great-uncle Ted Blower lived with his wife Fan, and their simple son Frankie. Ted Blower was a cousin of the channel swimmer Tom Blower.

Bing, take a look at these. If you haven't already discovered them. you may be slightly surprised.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015754&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015755&prevUrl=

Then go to the PicturethePast homepage http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/index.php and start your own search.. They have a lot of old photos of that corner of Radford.

• Upvote 1

blowers-of-Radford_zps756a3abc.jpg

That's my Uncle Ted (really my great-great-Uncle) with his sisters. My great-grandmother is second from left bottom row. They all lived to a ripe old age, the youngest dying at 89, the oldest at 99 and 11 months.

• Upvote 2

He was an' all. I can remember him although I was only 10 when we moved away. We used to go for tea sometimes and then play in the back garden. He always said there were caves underneath his house that lead to the castle. Caves, almost certainly, at least a cellar or two, but to the castle? Unlikely.

His dad was Sam Blower, born in Staffs. but came to Nottingham to work at Radford pit, via Swannick pit in Derbys.

Sam was 87 when he died, and for someone born in 1845 that was a good age. But even then he didn't just die he was poisoned!

He was living with his daughter at 66 Norwood Rd, and was poorly. She had left some Lysol disinfectant in the bedroom and the old man drunk it thinking it to be his medicine. It killed him. The inquest was reported in the Nottm Evening Post in 1932. and says in part that his daughter said, "I realise now I should not have left the lysol in my father's bedroom." And the Coroner interjected "Quite right Madam!"

Sam's brother's grandson was Tom Blower the channel swimmer.

I think I should move my replies to the family history forum.

they all look very much alike too just look ant the eyes and the mouth shape

• 1 year later...

Hi Tutanic

You failed to mention The Weatsheaf on the corner of Highurst Street and Ilkeston Road the land lord had a lovely brown chou.

The land lords name at the havelock was Lol Davey, there was another old pub on a street just below the weatsheaf I may be wrong but I think it

was the pelican.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone ever go in the Denman Inn the landlady name was febbie she was built like a tank, she bared me me bcause I tripped on an hole in the carpret and dropped a full pint of the finest bitter.

She chased me out the pub swinging a mop bucket round her head, she only chucked me out not me missus she stayed till closing time.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture of My uncle Ted with a gang of friends and neighbours off for a jaunt in one of Skills buses. The photo is taken across the road from the Skills garage on St. Peters Street Radford and outside my Uncle ted's house, the former debtors prison.

Skills-bus_zps4ef304b6.jpg

Small world. This is the corner of St Peter's Street where Skills garage used to be (replaced by new student blocks on the right).

skill1.jpg

For several years my sister and her family lived in one of the houses on the left, and the houses still exist. The debtor's prison - where Bing's photo was taken - was a bit further up on the left, opposite the student blocks.

• 2 months later...

My grandma lived on Trafalgar Street when I was younger (55 now!), I remember there being a corner shop across the road that sold everything which fascinated me as there was a curtain in the shop and I could see that people were living in the front room. You walked to the bottom of the street and turned left and acroos the road was the showroom for Player cigarette coupons?

• Upvote 1