• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

Just gone through all the posts in this thread. I was born on Grimston Road in the mid 50's and lived there until 1971. Moved back briefly in 74 but then returned and lived 19 years behind the Capitol Cinema from 1981. I live well away from the City now out in the sticks.

Post 89 Clif Ton couldn't recall the name of the corner shop at the top of Grimston Road. I lived opposite and it was Hudsons. Used to go for 10 Park Drive for my mum and she would put them in a paper bag as I was only 8 or so. The corner of Glentworth Road was another corner shop, Tollson's. My dad was a close friend and Mr Tollson always went with my dad to Notts County matches. Every local game and aways if they weren't to far. My dad bought Mr Tollson's car which we had for years. A green Morris Minor. I still remember the number SBP 154.

Funny the the things you remember. When my father had his garage business in the late 60's/early 70's he had a customer on Grimston Road. Can't remember his name but he worked at Ashwells (with my mothers sisters husband) and his car was a Ford Classic reg no. 5043 WF. My mother had an uncle who lived on Glentworth who we used to go and visit when returning said car. His name was Albert Smedley. All long gone of course.

Thanks for posting the photo of Clayton Square,the black door in the bottom left hand corner is where I lived. My uncle Tom lived next door at number 2. My Dad was known as Fats Leeming although he was never fat to my knowledge, haha. The tall building in the middle of the photo was a pub, it might have been called the Sun Inn, but can't be sure of that, I know it was a pub. Gas lighting and water tap in the middle of the yard, no such thing as a sink to wash in, we used a bowl, the toilets were outside, wooden shed sort of things, and a bloke came with a horse and cart and emptied them now and then. Next door nearest the entrance out onto the street lived a bloke called Mokey Moore said he had spirits ( ghostly ones ) living in his sideboard. haha I think those spirits were in a bottle, either that or he was a bit mad. I seem to remember that there was a Youth Centre on Hornbuckle St not sure... anybody know anything about that ?? Later on in life I told my kids and some of their friends how it was in those days, but they think I am fantasizing or have gone a little doo- lally. Anyways I'm off to get me a condensed milk sandwitch...... haha only joking.

• Upvote 3

Tompa, I remember such conditions, and my mum and dad were brought up in Radford. My dad on Croyden Road and my mum on Salisbury Street. By the time I came along things were looking better, but my grandma on Salisbury Street, and my Aunts on Bright Street and Denman Street still had outside toilets and a tin bath hanging on the wall. My mum used to talk about life between the wars when a lot of kids had no shoes to their feet. Povert was rife in those days, and it wasn't because they couldn't afford the latest i phone.

• Upvote 2

The tall building in the middle of the photo was a pub, it might have been called the Sun Inn, but can't be sure of that, I know it was a pub.

Digging around suggests that it might have been the Lord Nelson on Mitchell Street.

• Upvote 1

We have a general election coming up and having read this thread I am remembering the elections in the fifties. It was one of the few times we ever saw a car on Bloomsgrove St when they would come around handing out Red Or blue streamers to the kids and we would march round the local streets singing Vote! Vote! Vote! for Tom Obrien, we didn,t care who won so long as we got one of the streamers to wave it was a different world!

I am not being political here it,s just memories!!

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton, I think you have hit the nail on the head there, Lord Nelson it must have been, another pub up near the main road, I think was called The Sun Inn.

re #228. In the fifties when my Grandad represented Wollaton Ward in the labour party, we would all be dressing up coal lorries for the May day parade.

Memories..............oh got plenty of them, like going out dog-ending wi me dad and making rollups, or going to the railway sideings and pinching coal. Nicking a bottle of milk of somebody's doorstep oh dear making it sound like I was brought up rough. lol

Telling the man in the shop the fag machine didn't pay up the evening previous, and getting a free packet of fags.

Tompa: my late mam was 'solid' Radford- born on Norton St. lived on Bloomsgrove St. (48?) then Anfieild Terrace- she told us some stories! From skills chip shop to draft dodgers hiding in houses throughout the war! Seeing German POW's pink patches walking into town- they were'nt allowed on buses.. she said.

Great photo's Tompa, They evoke some great memories.

Those were the days. Real Caravans. Gas Lights, Water Buckets, Slop Buckets,Toilet Blocks. Loved It. I remember one of the holidays at Towyn near Rhyl in the 80s when our children were young teenagers, the caravans we stayed in, still had those pleasures!

No television, but we could hire a radio. Oh! I forgot the bed that we pulled down from the wall.

At least there was a club on the site. Beach all day, a couple of Bitter and Limes at night and then back to start assembleing beds. No mean feat.

• Upvote 2

And the water was a dirty brown colour and tasted like rust, but my foster Father used to say, Gerrit darn ya, and stop bloody moanin or I won't get ya a monkey on a stick. LOL

Never did get a bucket an spade like the other kids, had to use empty ice cream tubs, those were the days lol can't believe I survived it all bowdown

• Upvote 4

We had holidays at Chapel St Leonards from 1946 until 1953. Our caravan was a big old ex railway carriage (there were 3 of them, + 3 other little caravans, like in your photo, Tompa) in a field on Sea Bank Road opposite the Grange hotel. The 'carriages' had 3 rooms comprising one kitchen/living area and 2 bedrooms. I remember the windows opened with a leather strap with holes punched in them. I suppose they were quite spacious compared with the smaller caravans ... There was an outside WC in a little shed for each caravan and the 'dilly men' emptied them once a week during the night. The field was right next to the sand dunes so all we had to do was climb up and over to get on to the beach. There were no steps so it was hard work climbing the steep dunes. We used to play hide and seek and 'Pirates' on the dunes. There were lots of little paths but the grasses and bushes were prickly for our bare feet! There was no promenade in those days and no grass growing on the beach as there is now.

• Upvote 3

Great pics. Tompa,bet we all bumped into each other back in those days,'carnie' Margie' and probably many more on here,we used to go in a caravan on Trunch lane the club was called 'Happy Days' and indeed they were.

• Upvote 3

Even went there when i was 18 in my 1st car,.......sat.night gave the man behind the bar 10/- and bingo, me and the Girlfriend had a Caravan for the night..................Happy days lol.

• Upvote 4

We always went on the train to Skeggy, exitment broke out when Boston Stump came into view..... could never understand why, it never looked like a " stump " to me anyway. lol.

• Upvote 2

Trusthorpe near Mablethorpe fo me as a tot. Great times.

• Upvote 1

Allways Ingoldmells for us, right up to meeting hubby one night in Skeggy in 1964.

(A funny little naughty story for you) When we had been courting a year, we wanted to go on holiday together. Well you can imagine it was out of the question in those days.

SO. My sister and I booked a four birth caravan in Ingoldmells, and the laddo's were going to pitch their tent behind the Sealands Pub! Mam and Dad agreed to that. Anyway, when we all woke up the next morning :biggrin: off they went to pitch the tent behind the sealands, "Just in case"!

Guess who rolled up 15mins later? I can't remember why? MI DAD!!!! Then the boyfriends returned. You have never seen such acting in your life! I think he knew what was going on, but couldn't prove it.

The next year 1966 was the time on Trunch lane. My sis, her fiancee, Me and hubbs to be and 10 Yamyams. Half girls and half boys. All good fun. :biggrin:

• Upvote 4