• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

Our school swimming lessons were at those baths. Trouble was, the chlorine used to badly affect my eyes.

Great times Tompa, I remember hartly Rd homes, I was put in Redcot on woodborgh Rd in the early 50s, Then got sent up to durham at a place called The Castle school till I was 16, Bad times then but made up for then in the swinging 60S.

• Upvote 1

Katyjay and iandawson. You must be so proud of your fathers who fought alongside Wingate. I've read several books on him, and he was definitely regarded as being a bit strange. Some of the hierarchy regarded him as a 'bloodthirsty killer' but surely that's what is required if you're fighting the Japs in the jungle. The conditions they operated under were truly horrendous, but with Ordes leadership and relentless endeavour coupled with the ability to never give in gave the men hope and encouragement.

Without a doubt, they were the bravest of the brave. I thank them enormously.

• Upvote 2

Yes I lived in Radford on the then Boden street near the bottom, Then you went on to denman street, my sister may lived at the bottom of denman st with her then husband Terry Berrington who we still are in contact with, My younger sister lived at home with myself and my now Departed mum god bless, They were great times in the 60s plenty to do, Youth clubs I-e Tennison Hall where we use to meet, Skip used to play the Records, Or you could go in the Gym and have a kick about, Sometimes you would get the Hyson Green Lads un Gals come up, Some cracking Lassess would be at the Friday Nite Club had my first date there and we courted for a few years, Then there was the Winsor picture house which was on Hartley Rd, Had some great films on. Saw my First Elvis film there Love me Tender and that started me being a massive E.P. Fan.

• Upvote 3

I once knew a bloke called Michael Radford who incidently came from Radford, a good looking guy, he went to my school in the late 1950's - all the girls fancied him, I wonder what happened to him ?.................

• 1 month later...

I remember the district well I lived on Cambridge St...the children's home I always knew it as Hartley road home I used to go to school the of the owner the son was Ashley Evens I was in touch with him once on friends reunited...I remember getting sweets from broken broke jars from Barnett's factory left just inside the door...for the kids to take...I think lol...the boys brigade was the 25th I was a member the club was the Dame Agnes Mellers boys club play football many time on the 5 aside pitch at the back the first flood lite in the country

I remember the baths with a plaque to Tommy Blower there a channel swimmer who used it

I lived on Garfield Road which was just off hartley Road. Did the Winsor become John Players' showroom? It faced the bottom of garfield. You could swap your No6 cigarette coupons for gifts at the showroom. There was always a whiff in the air when the Players factory was in production. And further up Hartley Rd was a block of flats.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I lived on Garfield Road which was just off hartley Road. Did the Winsor become John Players' showroom? It faced the bottom of garfield. You could swap your No6 cigarette coupons for gifts at the showroom. There was always a whiff in the air when the Players factory was in production. And further up Hartley Rd was a block of flats.

Hi OrphanAnnie, I lived on Garfield Road too and remember the Players No6 showroom well. Was it a Green Shield stamp showroom for a while? My mum worked at Sanders newsagents on the corner with Hartley Road for many years.

There was a Green Shield Stamps showroom on Maid Marian Way, near to Brentford Nylons. I can't remember whether there was one in Radford.

I have just come back from a weekend in Long Eaton, met up with my brother at Castle Marina and he took me for a tour round the Medders and Radford, all the original houses on Garfield Road have gone although the streets running off towards Radford Boulevard are still there. There was another newsagents further down run by the Garretts who were originally on Arkwright St, I had a paper round there.

• Upvote 1

Yes, Cliff Ton, that's Sanders. To the left of what I think is the motor cyclist. I've looked round parts of Radford as it is now and unfortunately my house went with the demolition work, as did my primary school, Sidney Pearson Hill. Thanks for the photo.

Was your house near that end of Garfield ? Which side of the road ? (I might have an aerial view where you can see it)

Does any one remember my grandad Harry Nix he and May lived at number 3 Garfield road and,then May (aunt) I think her name was May Ganny or little May lived at the other end of that terrace as kids we use to run up the back joining alley from one to the other. They had a daughter Mavis Nix I know she went to manning school,not sure which infants.