Did You Live In Radford?

Was your house near that end of Garfield ? Which side of the road ? (I might have an aerial view where you can see it)

Yes it was, No.83, think it was the second or third block of houses from Hartley Road and on the side nearest Radford Blvd. Landseer St on one side and ? on the other. Could it be Colleridge St?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

Yes Cliff Ton, our house was in the second block third from the right. Thanks. I have a copy of an ordnance survey map from 1966 and it's got house numbers on it so I can work out where I lived in the photo.

Ian, I can see from my map that the 'firm' you were asking about was on Dorking Road.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone, long time no post. LoL

Since my last post on here, I've been up to all sorts of things. Re-connecting with my childhood sweetheart and planning a great future together.

Also, I'm still trying to locate Ken Smith formally of Radford, Nottingham. But with no luck as of yet in finding him or anyone who knows or knew of him.

I don't know much about him, apart from that he used to live above the shops on Bentinck Road, Radford in the 1980s.

Apart from that, I don't know much.

Anyway, it's good to be back. :)

• Upvote 2

Welcome back Sam, and all the best with your plans for the future.

Hello Everyone, It's nice to be back :)

Nope, I left Parkview Court many years ago, back in 2010 or early 2011.. it was a long time ago. LoL

After that I lived in Cambridgeshire for a couple of years while I was working down there, then I moved back to Nottingham and have lived here ever since. :)

I'm now back in my home town and loving every moment of it, as I was single for many years.. but then I re-connected with my childhood sweetheart only last year, and we've been enjoying life ever since.

Life is good :D

• Upvote 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Does anyone on here remember a Pat, Mick or Pamela Hollies, they lived at 7 Miall Street, Radford. Pamela was killed on a motorbike, six months pregnant. She was with her fella whose name was Clive(also killed) and he was a drummer at a pub in Stapleford, might have been the feathers but not sure. Its a long time ago now but I am going to see Pat (rick) next month for the first time in 60 years. He lives in Basinstoke and I don't remember too much and thought someone could fill a few gaps. Thanks.

Whatever happened to Theresa Woolley who lived somewhere behind the Picture House on Ilkeston Road, anyone remember her, I used to go down to Wealthalls Fish Shop on Ilkeston Road and met her there once and seemed to see her around there, not often, but she was a pleasant soul, one of those people who you don't forget.

I think it was the same family but like cousins or even further apart. Bill Wealthalls Fish shop was on the right hand side of ilkeston Road, going toward Town and nearer to the Radford Boulevard, Lenton Boulevard junction. ( as I remember).

I was born and raised on Grimston Road, at the top end. Weathalls grocers were at the bottom. We knew them quite well as they lived nearby. My dad had a car which he needed for work. I guess there were only a dozen cars on the whole road. In those days you had to have a parking light and dad had a hurricane paraffin lamp with a pice of red cellophane on one half rather than flatten the car battery. The lamp had a short length of stout wire attached to the handle which used to tuck in the wheel of the car to stop it blowing over. I used to put this lamp in place most nights for my dad and he'd light it in the kitchen and always, always say "red towards Wealthalls" as he handed it me.

Whenever I hear mention of Wealthalls it brings to mind my dad telling me "red towards Wealthalls"

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived on Radford Grove Lane, next door to Mrs Robinson and Albert - I remember him walking her around the house and the garden, all I could hear all day was "are you all right Ma?" - he must have said it fifty times a day. She was lovely, but he wasn't friendly - think it was due to my 2 boys being boys.

Used to be bedlam when Players were changing shifts - car park is where the nursing home is now - or was when I was last there.

Previously lived on Glentworth, which was posh then compared to Anfield Terrace, which was my first home in Radford.

Anyone remember Carlos, the Italian "provisions merchant" - he did quite a good trade in those days - I was there in early 70s.

Barry on corner of Radford Boulevard - used to sell brushes, cleaning stuff, crockery - still have an unusual bowl which was a second, but you have to turn it upside down to see that.

• Upvote 5

Previously lived on Glentworth, which was posh then compared to Anfield Terrace, which was my first home in Radford.

Anyone remember Carlos, the Italian "provisions merchant" - he did quite a good trade in those days - I was there in early 70s.

Barry on corner of Radford Boulevard - used to sell brushes, cleaning stuff, crockery - still have an unusual bowl which was a second, but you have to turn it upside down to see that.

I mentioned this to my wife who lived on Glentworth. Her name then was Flint. She remembers Carlos well. She says he was life and soul of the street.
  • Upvote 1

#317...........Hi Bonnie, welcome to Nottstalgia, it's my Grandma & Uncle Albert you lived next door to, in Radford Grove Lane.

Albert wasn't the most friendliest of people I agree, but he idolised his mam & lived with her all his life. Following from Gran's passing, & up until Alberts passing, he would bike all the way from home up to Wilford Hill to spend the day with Gran, every week.............taking a flask & sandwiches to sustain his vigils.

• Upvote 3
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got to this page. Great stuff!. I lived on Gadd St, off Southey St. for 1949 to 1956. We lived next door to the pub called the Forest Inn. As kids we played on the cellar doors until we got cleared off. There were two shops on the street, but only went in for toffess ( not often, as they were still rationed at the time. My mam worked at John Beales, and part time at a pub near the top of Hyson Green. I went to Windley school until I was 11, then we left to ilve in Forest Fields. Still spent a lot of time on the Green, going to the Leno's, and the other two cinemas. One , I think was the Boulevard, the other the Grand. Went to the Boys Club till I left school. Later in life I worked at F.L.Bastows, later Marathon. Now student accomodation. Got off the bus opposite the Alma, and walked down Hartley Rd to work. The Boulevard was the pub of choice, as were the Nottingham Arms on St Peters St. Worked there till the mid-nineties. Anyone remember Mr Mitchell's shop on Radford Boulevard? A favourite for linen, and all sorts. By coincidence, I went that way to buy  a new car tyre. A lot is as I remember it. What a busy road was the boulevard. Raleigh at one end, us in the middle, and Players next door. If I remember correctly, the finishing times of all three were staggered to ease public transport. Mind you, so many people at Raleigh had a bike! Never forget watching Saturday Night And Sunday Morning, seeing all the places I knew. Good old Radford Thanks for the memories.

• Upvote 5