Did You Live In Radford?

I never lived there but my grandparents did and we visited them a lot in the 1960s. This might ring a few bells with anyone who was there in those days.

M grandparents lived in Radford, on Grimston Road. They were there from the 1940s till the 1970s. All the time they lived there it never had an inside toilet or a bathroom; only had an outside toilet which fascinated me because it had a wooden seat the width of the whole ‘room’.

My granddad worked at Players, like everyone in Radford in those days; perfect example of job-for-life which doesn’t seem to exist anywhere any more. Not sure exactly where he worked but I think it was in the factory which fronted onto Alfreton Road. When we used to visit, I remember him coming home for his dinner and turning up at just after 1 o’clock because it only took him a few minutes to walk from the factory.Then he’d be back off again just before 2 o’clock for another short walk. How many people today work a few minutes walk from where they live?

I remember standing in their back yard and hearing the whistle of steam trains from the line nearby - although you couldn’t see it. Sometimes when we visited, as a ‘treat’ we’d go to the footbridge at Bobber’s Mill (near the old level crossing) to watch the trains going by. In those days it was all coal trains going to and from the north Notts pits; there weren’t any passenger trains because they’d all been discontinued in the 1950s. Stand on the bridge today and you see passenger trains (Robin Hood line) but no coal trains because the pits have all gone. I suppose that’s progress.

And there was that smell of raw tobacco which hung over Radford. You noticed it but never really thought about what it was or where it came from, it was just a case of “that’s what Radford smells like, it’s just the way it is”. It may not be very healthy but I could get really nostalgic about that smell if I ever encounter it again.

In those days corner shops still existed and Grimston Road had one at each end. I don’t remember the name of the one at the top but it was a grocery/sweets/newsagent shop and the highlight of our visit was to go there with my grandma for ice cream or chocolate. Kids are impressed by things like that. At the bottom of the road was a greengrocer’s called Wealthall’s. I used to love going there because of the smell of fresh veg which hit you when you went in the place – you don’t get that smell in any supermarkets these days.

Another highlight for me was going down Alfreton Road on the bus, I always used to look up Player Street to see if Player’s private fire engine was parked on the road just outside where it lived. I was easily pleased in those days.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

I lived on the other side of Alfreton Road, just a bit further down opposite the chip shop.

And I remember the Fire Engine which I think they kept somewhere near their offices on Radford Blvd.

Great memories Cliff. All those smells are lost now. I walked along Radford Blvd to get to Raleigh, so remember the tobacco smell well. And the greengrocers had that earthy smell, and vinegar too as they usually sold it loose, bring your own bottle. Raleigh had its own smell too. I can still remember what Burton's shop smelled like [under the arcade] of hams hanging up, cheeses, bacon etc.

I can still remember what Burton's shop smelled like [under the arcade] of hams hanging up, cheeses, bacon etc.

Don't mention Burton's Arcade..... I'd end up writing a book-full of nostalgia on that subject. One of the great lost places of Nottingham.

Get on with your memories Cliff Ton write a book if you want!!

And as for that " Raleigh Smell" I could go on but won't for fear of repeating myself!

• 3 weeks later...

Just shown my dad your post

re the exotic dancer with the bucket & bull whip her stage name was sony/sunny sabero it was a chamber pot she used in her act and yes she was very handy with a bull whip , he tells me she was quite well educated & the odd occasion her sister would accompany her to the variety , she too would get carried away with the variety experience & have a go @ exotic dancing ?

The exotic dancer you're trying to think of is Sonny Sooberoo and she also used to dance at the Clinton Arms on Shakespear street in the city, Ahhhhh happy memmories.

Joe.

• 1 month later...

As a spotty faced apprentice back in 1968 working at a garage on St Anns Well Road a guy used to bring his flash american car in for petrol & servicing etc..

His name was I think Trevor Budworth & he had something to do with strippers/ entertainers call em what you like. Many times he would turn up with said "Lady" in the car with him, on the car I think I saw an advert for "The Amber Vandella All Girl Show".

Think they lived in Mapperley.

Trevor last seen in Lincolnshire had a shop in Alford also had something to do with a World War Two reenactment society.

• 3 weeks later...

Lived on Faraday Road just up from the Whitehorse pub from Late 1940s to 1958. Moved to Ainslie Estate and lived there until 1964 when I emigrated to Oz. I remember going to Ilkeston Road picture house on Saturday afternoons. From 1962 to 1964 went to the Locarno on Saturdays and also to the Sunday club. I think this used to go from 3.00pm to about 11.00pm.

Lived on Faraday Road just up from the Whitehorse pub from Late 1940s to 1958. Moved to Ainslie Estate and lived there until 1964 when I emigrated to Oz. I remember going to Ilkeston Road picture house on Saturday afternoons. From 1962 to 1964 went to the Locarno on Saturdays and also to the Sunday club. I think this used to go from 3.00pm to about 11.00pm.

Hello Radford Boy.

I lived on Vale Crescent North from about 1948 to 1957 when I married and my parents till 1961.

I also worked at Radford Colliery for quite a few years includeing about 7 years at the coal face there. There was a short cut across the railway to the pit from Ainsley Estate.

Mick Fenner.

Fenner, my anunt/uncle lived on Vale Crescent North, in the 50's/60's name of White, children were : Paul, Phil, Bev', Delia, parents were Jack & Flo', Jack looked like Lionel Jeffries..........lovely man, cleaned his teeth with salt & soot mixture, not a clue why............... !rotfl!

Fenner, my anunt/uncle lived on Vale Crescent North, in the 50's/60's name of White, children were : Paul, Phil, Bev', Delia, parents were Jack & Flo', Jack looked like Lionel Jeffries..........lovely man, cleaned his teeth with salt & soot mixture, not a clue why............... !rotfl!

Paulus.

No memory recollections yet but will check within Family to see what they remember.

My parents name was also Jack and Flo and we all lived at number 8 which was on the right going down Vale Crescent North. Our Christian names being, John, Mick,Wendy and Bob. Oldest first. In 1953 our respective agers were. 21, 20, 9, and 4.

Mick.

What happened to Terry Doaks? I think he owned part of the Keyhole Club and does anybody remember the beeroff owned by big George Goddard. He got through two fortunes. He owned a small bookies in Radford but got done for not useing the books properly

Grendad

Lived on Faraday Road just up from the Whitehorse pub from Late 1940s to 1958.

Radford Boy, did you know Mick Ball who lived on Faraday Rd?

What number. I lived at 160 Faraday Road. The name rings a bell.

oo-er, don't know that. Didn't realise it was such a long road to have that many numbers. He was a skinny fella, early-mid 20's in 1965. We both belonged to the Nottingham Ice Racing supporters club.

oo-er, don't know that. Didn't realise it was such a long road to have that many numbers. He was a skinny fella, early-mid 20's in 1965. We both belonged to the Nottingham Ice Racing supporters club.

160 was near the Whitehorse pub on the corner of Ilkeston Road. I was living in Vale Crescent South at Ainsley estate until I left for Oz in December 1964. I remember Michael and Jackie Glover who lived in Miall street and also the Hooley family. My grandmother lived at 84 Miall st and my other grandparents lived at 56 Guthrie Street.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, we used to live on mial st, number 21 i believe it used to be cobblers shop,there were 9 of us inc parents in there.i used to play on the street trying to get the used chewing gum up,an ide chew it anall. went to school on the crossroads of ilk rd /radford boulevard, a bawled me eyes out the 1st day an a were angin on to every door frame to keep mesen from gettin in.the doors seemed massive at the time.i remember a miss hart who taught there.we left in 57 to go to clifton an it wa unbeleivably different. by the way anyone remember woodys the barbers on miall st hed give you a toffee after ya cut.some names i recall,green/ maddocks/staplefords.yes we went to the flix on ilk, rd saturday morning,flash gordan eh.

Yer skool wus on 'Ation Corner'?

Education Salvation Damnation, and summat else 'ation' I kunt rememba?

Flicks on Ilkeston Road?

Nearest fer me wus silvers Savoy

I was told that ruination was a pawnbrokers that used to be across Ilkeston Road from the school,and damnation was the Gregory pub. I used to go there on Sundays to see cracking bands, including Sally,s Army.(Salvation???).

Thanks for the missing link Den and Oldace, bin buggin me fer years.

School - Education

Church - Salvation

Pub - Damnation.

Pawn shop - Ruination.

I never knew the Pawn shop being there, or never noticed it

when I lived there, early 60s.

It was later a butchers, which I could never think of an 'ation' for?

It was later a butchers, which I could never think of an 'ation' for?

It could have been a "Halal" butchers. Oh sorry , wrong kind of Asian .................................rotfl.gif