Did You Live In Radford?

Mid-late 60's, I lived near the corner of Norton Street with Hartley Road.

One corner was the chemist, (I was in the next house on Norton street after the alleyway that ran up to the next road), opposite was a shop owned by an asian family that was an Anorak Factory ( :D Honest!, Remember that blue quilted nylon). But for that shop, there may have been no Trainspotters?

On the other corner was Barratts Sweet Factory. and on the 4th corner was some waste land with a big house, which I was informed used to be a childrens home? Later that Land was built on. Clifford Court? and other blocks of lower level flats.

Further up Norton Street towards Denman Street was an old chuch hall where I used to go to the Boys Brigade. Also on a Saturday, we used to queue up for the Jumble sale. I always returned with an old Valve Radio, and would spend my Sunday afternoons tuning through the Short wave...Perhap I needed one of those anoraks? :huh:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

Did You Live In Radford?, Where & When  [
B) NO B)

B) I remember Barratts sweet factory well because i worked at John Player and sons near their, what i remember most was the smell of confectionary woffting from their premises.

Further up Norton Street towards Denman Street was an old chuch hall where I used to go to the Boys Brigade.

B) If that church hall that you are referring to was on the left hand side of Norton street going away from Hartley road well then that is the same place that i use to do my gymnastic training in back in the late fifties. Also there was a five aside football pitch as well as tennis courts at the back if my memory serves me well,,,, <_<

post-38-1105295772_thumb.png

Yes, you are quite right BiP

I now remember the pitch at the Back.

If you were there late 50's you might remember what that land was

where the flats are now. ?

B) I'm afraid not, at that time i would only be about 10 or 12 years old and i was living at Bilborough, i use to catch my bus on Ilkeston road so i never past the site that the flats are now on. Do you know when they went up ?

B) Where i live in Chilwell we are pretty high up and i can see those flats from my office window [ my sons ex bedroom ] using binoculars.. B)

:D You would be suprised what i can see from this window [ keep it clean dennis ] i can even see the Windmill at Sneinton. B)

post-38-1105311998_thumb.jpg

I remember both Hi rises, Clifford Court Hartley Road, and The one off Alfreton Road (name?) being built around 1965? Have I got them the Right way round?

Or was it Clifford Court of Alfreton Road?

• 1 month later...

I used to 'play' in Radford and met my other half there. Do you remember the Colonel Burnaby on Hartley Road, The Alma on Alfreton Road and the Havelock on Ronald Street, to name but three!

The Spread Eagle on Alfreton Road, OOps thats four, was run by Eddie Cartright at this time, he now lives in Ilkeston I think. He was famous for the things he used to keep in the cellar like bacon and sausage. Probably the only pub in the area that you could do your weekly shop while you had a drink. He enjoyed playing cribbage while drinking Gin and milk.

Denman Street and Hamilton Terrace are two of the places familiar to me, Denman Gardens and the Peacock on Ilkeston Road are also in the memory.

My family originated from Radford but relocated to Aspley when they redeveloped Radford.

A :P

• Upvote 2

Was Cartwright the same guy by that name that ran the Clifton Bridge Inn?

Hence its nickname 'The Ponderosa'?

All the pubs I remember well. I witnessed the demolition of the old houses

(they were our playground) and building of the flats in that area. Now most are

knocked down and replaced with town houses. Except the big block which

now resembles something out of thunderbirds, or a fortress!

• 1 month later...

Born Brixton Road front bedroom attended Sidney Pearson Hill on Foster Street started my adult life living above The Gregory Hotel pub ( after a few weeks with mates in Vic flats ) then moving to an old terraced house on Foster Street ( bit like an inside toilet with an outside house ) just down from Denbo's cafe ( well handy ) then my daughter come along went posh moved to the 1st new house on the new Cobden Street housing development took a council ex-change to Bilborough ( big mistake ) , copped for a half decent job and a son joined the property ladder now in Wollaton ( short walk to Sunny Radford ).

• Upvote 1
Did you ever go into the Boulevard? Around about the same time.

used the boulevard around 1985-87 used to go in most nights and play poker the stakes used to get quite big !

passed the boulevard the other day took this picture from my from my car ..... just found it amusing .

post-38-1112454113_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

My husband and I (I will be using the Royal 'we' next) used to go in the Boulevard in the late 60's, I think it was Albert who kept it at that time. All the steeplejacks used to collect in there. My eldest son was behind the bar at around 3 weeks old, it was during the day, not at night and we were not drinking so he was quite safe.

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for that Red.

Drapers gun shop has been there since I was a kid.

I lived just up on the left from the first picture. Just turn left into Norton street, first house on the right (Now demolished and replaced with a new house.) Next to the Chemist at that time. On the other corner was a shop which was an asian Anorak factory. on the other corner was Barnetts Sweet factory

• 5 months later...

I usta live at 113 Nortion Street,wen Iwus a liittle bogger in the 50's Me uncle Lance ed the Garnet pub on the corner of Norton Street and Denman Street. I usta collect oss bob from shippoes osses fer me grandad oo ed alottment at the bottom of St Peters Street

• Upvote 1
This tickled me took it today 9-10-05 looking up Hartley road at bampton court flats

Brilliant......

Send it to the Sun, and tell them where it was taken!

They'll post you a cheque for 5K, by return. :yahoo:

Cheers

Robt P.

Although not from Radford, my first job in 1963 was at a little engineering factory right at the very top of Denman Street by the name of 'J UNDY LTD', I was the shop lad and remember having to go to the chippy on Ilkeston Road each lunchtime for the pie, peas and chips, bloody luvly, the chippy was about 200 yds down on the right hand side from Canning Circus. Remember catching the 43 trolley bus from the Fountain to Canning Circus to get to work, fare was 3d, Ah memories, and we thought we were hard done to in them days, lets bring em back!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is a small world I was born the Morning after Roger Bannister ran the first sub four minute mile.

In Gamble Street, Off Forest Road West number 61 up stairs front bedroom at 7.20am. It was not in the papers as that roger chap took all the news that day.

I went to school at Raleigh Infants, then Windley Junior then on to Cottesmore.

Not to bore you all on my first posting that will come later! We left Gamble Street mainly because the Council were about to take our roof off and knock it down in 1975.

They were moving us to Beechdale Road just up from the Early Bird Pub to Number 120. Just think an inside toilet at the age of 21 and a bathroom heaven.

Bath nights before were at Boden Street baths once a week, we used PHB Soap

(PHB) Pit Head Baths soap as my Dad worked at Hucknall Number 2 pit.

Thats all for now if anybody is interested I have lots more memories

CSI Clifton

I remember the demolition of the terraced houses off Norton Street between Hartley Road and Denman Street, Prior to building the flats.

The contractors would knock off on a friday, leaving houses partly demolished, to no doubt be amazed to return on a Monday morning and find the job completed. (By the local kids)

The rows of Roofless houses you mention were or playground in those days. We would watch the local bobby's from the safe vantage point of our 'castle'.

Much in the style of the french soldiers in Pythons Grail!

I F4RT IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!

FART.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ayup all,

Used to live on Wordsworth road for a short time before moving to Clifton, all I can remember about it was the bonfire in the middle of the road on November 5th and the coach driving past the end of the road carrying the FA cup winners Nottingham Forest so you'll have to let me know the year,

Rog