Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

Ation Corner

Heard a story once that the junction of Ilkeston road and Radford Boulevard was

called Ation Corner because on each corner was a Pub, a Church, a School

and a Pawn Broker. The Pub was Ruination, The School Education, The Church

Salvation but can't remember what the pawn broker was. Can any one help.

Last time i passed the Pawn broker was turned into a Butchers.

Ation Corner

Heard a story once that the junction of Ilkeston road and Radford Boulevard was

called Ation Corner because on each corner was a Pub, a Church, a School

and a Pawn Broker. The Pub was Ruination, The School Education, The Church

Salvation but can't remember what the pawn broker was. Can any one help.

Last time i passed the Pawn broker was turned into a Butchers.

Damnation

The butchers has been closed well over a year now.

The building is going to ruin.

...and on a lighter note,-strange how photos can bring back old memories. The picture of the bus shelter(it was just a post in my day ,outside All Souls church on Radford .B.) reminded me of the Friday nights when a mob of us would catch the bus there and drop off at the Savoy( 2/6d on the back row in 1953-56.),and fish and chips on the way home. Ah happy simple days! B)

• 3 weeks later...
...and on a lighter note,-strange how photos can bring back old memories. The picture of the bus shelter(it was just a post in my day ,outside All Souls church on Radford .B.) reminded me of the Friday nights when  a mob of us would catch the bus there  and drop off at the Savoy( 2/6d on the back row in 1953-56.),and fish and chips on the way home. Ah happy simple days! B)

Here Stan the other bus stop opposite all souls looking down Ilkeston Road , Radfords full of Artists .

1-2-3-4-5 waiting .

446033262_d8b1ca249a_b.jpg

• 9 months later...

In 1973, five lads left the comfort of their homes and rented 29 Hartley Road (now no longer). Apart from myself, there was Dave (also from Bramcote), Jim (from Attenborough) and Darg and Oggy (real names forgotten - from Bilborough). We were all about 19 and for a year or two we had a ball! Soon girlfriends moved in - I remember Pat and Kate moving in with Darg and Oggy - and we started to expand. After six months we had taken over the houses on either side and had friends/acquantnces living in both 27 and 31. Maybe there were 15-20 "residents" altogether and goodness knows how many regular "guests". We shared a back yard and the outside lavvies.

We had no bathroom in no 29 so I was a regular visitor to Radford Baths in Thackery Street(?) for fantastic hot baths. It was a bonus when friends moved into number 27 as they had proper plumbing with a bathroom (I still used Radford Baths though - loved it!). In fact the bathroom at number 27 was such a novelty that I remember gathering there when it was in use - much like a party - sitting around the floor sharing drinks and smokes with the occupants................ ;-)

During the week we drank beer in the Colonel Burnaby, if we could afford it, and occasionally other locals (The Alma?). We ate chips from the chippy over the road and bought our ten No 6 from the newsagent, also opposite. If we were flush we walked to town up Alfreton Road and drank in most of the pubs at some stage. Most of us had met in the Flying horse in it's heyday (Goose Fair Bar) and that was where we headed. We went to the Sal too, where I later ended up working evenings. I used to get the bus to Basford each morning - I worked at Meridian in Haydn Road, and later Nottingham Road (1973-78).

Every weekend seemed like a party. In fact I can remember one particular saturday night when there must have been a couple of hundred people or more in Hartley Road for a party. You couldn't move. I was locked out of my own bedroom (was it you?)!!! Where everyone came from I don't know - such was the speed of communication then (who needs mobiles!), this was our turn! Please let me now if you were there!!!! Every saturday was a party somewhere. I remember parties in The Park, Hyson Green, Colwick and all over.

35 years on and I'm still listening to the same albums!

• 1 month later...

RadfordRed if you see this!

It's going to take a long time to go through all these photo's. My grandmother used to live in a street near the junction with Hartley Road and Foster Street. Now I believe knocked down as the houses were all built around the turn of 1900

Your picture of the gun shop and the pub took me back a long long way.

David

I missed S.Reds excellent post till today.

65-68, I lived on Norton Street next house down from the chemist, near the flats.

I think that would be near to 70 Hartley Road.

Does David say he has some images?

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

I lived there from 1965 - 2004. Firstly on Pine St (opposite Bright St), and then on the Ainsley Estate. I can remember going in the Nottingham Arms for my first drink aged 15, and then at 16 with my Dad to the Plough, Rose, Bobbo, Marquis, Midland and Higglers. Dad always called this pub the 'Hilly Joggers'.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live on Harold Road 1953 -1971, Dine's fish shop on the corner, Baby shop on the other. I also remember the cake shop on Hartley road and the posh clothes shop next to Gutteridges sweet shop where I spent my pocket money. Do you remember the old lady at the beer off...always reminded me of Annie Walker off Coronation St. I used to do all the shopping for my mum on a daily basis as we didn't have a fridge in those days, I had to go to different shops to get what was needed [no supermarkets either] That is not until Krazy Cuts opened ot the bottom of our road...everyone said it would never take off.....little did we know!!!

Had a motorbike nicked from the boulevard pub around 1971, was found next day back of Noel Street Baths, think someone just wanted a ride home, coppers were more interested in straight through (but quiet) exhausts than who took it. Re Drapers, they got into a lot of bad publicity I think in 1990's when a guy murdered his ex with a knife bought there "the grim reaper" about an 18" long thing

• 2 months later...

lived on bloomsgrove st in one of the garden houses opposite the dog and pheasant. although we left when i was only seven my memories of those times are clearer than those of later years, remember the paddling pool rec and brassy rec up near the infamous clayton square (those houses would be declared uninhabitable nowdays) .how about taking a bundle of old rags up to jackie poundalls yard to get enough to go to the winzor flicks. remember skills fish & chip shop just on denman st between bloosgrove and garden st. dont know if he was anything to do with skills coaches.

mg

• Upvote 1

My Gran lived in Radford Grove lane, off Churchfield Lane, with my uncle who owned a 1947 Velocette bike.

My gran would walk me, as a kid of 5/6 yrs old, along Prospect Street every night to see my auntie who lived somewhere near Players N03 factory.

I always remember the smell of warm tobacco coming from grills along Prospect Street.

Also remember Pownalls scrap yard, I spent 2 days smashing up my mams old upright piano (at her request) in our garden in Aspley, then walking from Aspley (Minver Crescent) to Jackie Pownalls to 'weigh in' the lead weights from the piano, I got 1s & thruppence (7p) for the lead........spent it all on sweets (Jubblys & Palm Toffee bars) before I got home.............

Never lived in Radford, but because of the family connections (Robinsons on my mums side) I was always drawn back there, drinking in all the pubs (at one time or another) from 1967 to 1986............and yes, I served my stint at the Variety in the 70's on Sunday lunchtimes, watching the artistic dancing of such beauties as 'Miss (ha-ha) Amber Vandella, remember her anyone??????????????? cool2

I recall an 'artistic dance act', may have been Amber, used to put the twins in a plastic bucket & walk around the stage proudly, also had a bullwhip & she'd crack it at punters!! just like Indiana Jones......but naked!!!!!! Rumour had it he once bullwhipped a fag out of a punters mouth, who was ignoring her act & playing cards instead of watching!!!!!!! !cheers!

Just shown my dad your post

re the exotic dancer with the bucket & bull whip her stage name was sony/sunny sabero it was a chamber pot she used in her act and yes she was very handy with a bull whip , he tells me she was quite well educated & the odd occasion her sister would accompany her to the variety , she too would get carried away with the variety experience & have a go @ exotic dancing ?