Did You Live In Radford?

I visited the Variety club but once, very Early 70's.

My only memory is a guy playing the organ very well.

When he got up to go to the bar, the tune never stopped?

Strange! !clapping!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

My Dad remissness with her about the Variety when he frequents Nottm races , i believe she may own an horse , she also ran Vandella entertainment agency many moons ago .

As a spotty faced apprentice back in 1968 working at a garage on St Anns Well Road a guy used to bring his flash american car in for petrol & servicing etc..

His name was I think Trevor Budworth & he had something to do with strippers/ entertainers call em what you like. Many times he would turn up with said "Lady" in the car with him, on the car I think I saw an advert for "The Amber Vandella All Girl Show".

Think they lived in Mapperley.

anyone know where the moulders is or was, i remember it was a buffalow lodge where my dad used to go. they often organised trips for the local kids to places like drayton manor and also the queens coronation party which i attended somewhere on denman st.

mg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

reading all the entries on old radford brings a million memories flooding back,after my birth in 1943 my first "home" was with me mam, and dad when he came back from the services, on top of Hollinsworths the off licence on Denman street,we moved to 30, Hornbuckle Street and stayed till I was about twelve Bentinck School, Brassy street rec,I remember the rec when it was still a bomb site,a great playground! Trolly buses,Skills coaches and the toy shop that belonged to them too,they sold Pelham puppets and all sorts of model cars,animals ect. Loads of other stuff too,maybe I'll put a bit more on when I've got a bit of time.

• Upvote 1

The Moulders Arms was tucked away on a side road near the junction of Hartly Road and Alfreton Road. I'd go there in the 70's. I don't know if its still there.

• Upvote 1

I lived at No 14 Edinburgh Street in Radford from around 1949 until they pulled it down in the 1960s. At the top of the street was the Royal Oak pub, and the toughest bunch of kids around were the Brassy street gang, led by the fearsome Teddy Towle (is he still around?). There was a church hall on Independent Street where we used to go for Sunday School. They also ran a cub/scout group from there, and the best part was always going down to the basement after meetings to have a farewell cup of cocoa before we went home. On the corner of Edinburgh Street there was a newsagent's run by Bill & Grace Thompson. Bill was a kind man who was known from time to time to buy shoes for kids in the street who didn't have any that were wearable, and whose parents couldn't afford replacements. After Bill died, Grace sold the shop. She remarried, and lived to be well into her eighties.

• Upvote 1
My missus was born at 23 Edinburgh street in 1953, her family left there in 1955 their surname was Higgins.
Perhaps her family are connected to mine in some way then - the Higgins of Radford! What was her Dads name?
  • 2 months later...

My Grandma and Grandad used to owe the Denman Street cafe...I had some great times in that cafe.

Was that the one below Radford Boulevard? sold great breakfasts............... cool2

• 5 months later...

my birth mother and her boyfriend Kenneth Smith used to live above the cafe on Bentinck road, Radford in the early 1980s :)

and I think Ken owned the cafe too, but not sure?

I also lived there, but only for afew months when my birth mum had me in july 1982.

I don't know much about Ken, but i've been trying to find him since 2002, as i'm adoptied.. but i havent found anyone that knows him or knew him.. only my birth mum Phyllis.

wonder if anyone else has heard of Ken? i know he also used to work as a fork-lift truck driver, but don't know where he worked?.

I keep searching for him now & again online, but havent for ages.

i think he'd be in his late 60s - 70s now? thats if he's still alive? :(

I don't know if he was a boxer or not? as I don't know much about him.. but I've replied to your message.

I'm going off the letter he wrote for me in 1985 & what my birth mother can remember.. and my parents too.

not much i'm sad to say, i don't even know his date of birth.

but i'll keep searching :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Sussexred,

I have just read the post about 27 Hartley Road.

In the spring of 74 I was doing agency work at British Gas at Dunkirk. One day another worker turned up, it was Jim Howarth who lived at the Hartley Road complex.

I started visiting there, I remember Bonner and Sam who were in the Hell's Angels, Hans who had a fabulous hi-fi (Bang & Olufson). I remember Darg and the rest, also Merv and his misses Soron.

I was partying with Soron and her fella (he's a biker, all 6'5" of him) at the Simmer Dim Rally last month, she said she never really figured out what was going on at Hartley Road,but she presumed everybody else did. I said I was the same.

I often went there after the clubs shut about 2.30am, there was always a few people awake.

• Upvote 1

Hi Sussexred,

I have just read the post about 27 Hartley Road.

In the spring of 74 I was doing agency work at British Gas at Dunkirk. One day another worker turned up, it was Jim Howarth who lived at the Hartley Road complex.

I started visiting there, I remember Bonner and Sam who were in the Hell's Angels, Hans who had a fabulous hi-fi (Bang & Olufson). I remember Darg and the rest, also Merv and his misses Soron.

I was partying with Soron and her fella (he's a biker, all 6'5" of him) at the Simmer Dim Rally last month, she said she never really figured out what was going on at Hartley Road,but she presumed everybody else did. I said I was the same.

I often went there after the clubs shut about 2.30am, there was always a few people awake.

is that the same jim howarth whose dad worked at nottingham uni and lived attenborough way?

While we are on the subject of Hartley Rd, if you were walking down from Bentinck Rd and on the left hand side about 500yds down can anyone remember the general grocers that were run by the Oakland Family in the 60's...I know they had a son called Dennis and a daughter named Beryl...I think Beryl was a hairdresser at Pendreds above the bank in the OM Square.. I think they sold up and went to live in Pelham Cres in Beeston.

Owdtite... :rolleyes:

is that the same jim howarth whose dad worked at nottingham uni and lived attenborough way?

Hi Hippo Girl,

Jim was a student at Nottingham Uni and I think his father was at Uni. Jim was a really friendly outgoing chap, working with him was a laugh a minute. He worked during the Uni holidays.

We were taking old cookers off gas board lorries and then loading them on the scrap merchants lorry, we got the job sussed, and spent half the time in the hut listening to the radio and chewing the fat.

Hi Hippo Girl,

Jim was a student at Nottingham Uni and I think his father was at Uni. Jim was a really friendly outgoing chap, working with him was a laugh a minute. He worked during the Uni holidays.

We were taking old cookers off gas board lorries and then loading them on the scrap merchants lorry, we got the job sussed, and spent half the time in the hut listening to the radio and chewing the fat.

hi Oldace, must be the same Jim Howarth, was a good friend of my bro....