Did You Live In Radford?

Stansfield St between 65 and 77,

The locals were Plough,Higglers,Marquis,White Horse and Old Rose.

Would be interested to know how many of these are gone.

Anyone here from the area around those times ?.

Was 19 when moved on but still see the old place in my memory.

MY FRIEND JUNE BURROWSLIVED STANSFIELD ST THAT TIME FIRST WITH HER PARENTS AND THEN FURTHER DOWN THE RD WHEN SHE WAS MARRIED TO HER 1ST HUSBAND STILL SEE HER SOMETIMES
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

Hello everyone, long time no see. :)

I'm back! :D

I used to live in radford for awhile in the early 80s, just after I was born..(1982) and many years later, after traveling about quite abit, like a boomerang some would say, I have come back to my hometown of Nottingham, and got a house with my hubby to be.. in.. Radford! yey! :)

Now, I have seen the posts on here about our house.. & yes, I do know its history..& what went on around here with those burials for suicide victims and the like, right outside.. where the cars go by..

Everything is fine here, and nothing goes 'bump' in the night..lol

Now.. what I'd like to say in this 'historical' buildings favor is.. its lovely, as from being dark and dank.. to renovated in the 1970s if my memory serves me right?, the houses are now lovely, mod cons, such as central heating through-out, modern kitchen, great sized living room, and all painted brightly :)

the bathroom even has a glass sink and lovely bath in as well, and the bathroom's are quite big, so they were possibly bedroom's before they were done up?

(I'd like to know as much as I can about this place I'm living in, what the house looked like before the update, although I have seen some photos of this place on picture the past, which are great..

but, I'm certain that the bathroom at the back, upstairs, used to be a bedroom, and whats now the bedroom (facing the front of the house and road) is a nice size too, with an old chimney breast one side as you go in through the door.. chimney has been blocked off, and covered over with wallpaper.. doh! lol

downstairs has a nice kitchen at the back facing the communal yard, and through a door, leads onto the small hallway and stairs, and door to out back.

the living room is a nice size too, with chimney breast to one side of the room, but this one has been left open 'a feature' lol but when I looked up the chimney, someone's put a air con pipe up there, to no-where, to block it up slightly.

we now use the 'fire place whole feature' to put our candles..dont think the wooden floor is original though.

If anyone can guess where I live, please tell all you know below.. oh, this building was built in 1837, and has a clock tower..

and anymore info on this place would be great, thanks.

--

I'm also trying to find out if anyone knows about a bloke called Ken Smith, who used to live on bentinck road in the 1980s? he used to live above the cafe next to bentinck road school.. as he's my father & I'm trying to find him :) cheers

Hi Hippo Girl,

Jim was a student at Nottingham Uni and I think his father was at Uni. Jim was a really friendly outgoing chap, working with him was a laugh a minute. He worked during the Uni holidays.

We were taking old cookers off gas board lorries and then loading them on the scrap merchants lorry, we got the job sussed, and spent half the time in the hut listening to the radio and chewing the fat.

hi Oldace, must be the same Jim Howarth, was a good friend of my bro....

Hi Hippo Girl and Oldace,

It certainly was the same Jim Howarth. He previously lived in Attenborogh and went to Bramcote Tech GS. His father was Professor of Psychology at Nottingham Uni. I haven't seen him for decades although I heard once that he had moved to Paris.

Would I know your brother Hippo Girl?

Sorry for the delayed response (!)

Does anyone remember Olive Wibberley who had a hairdressing business in the front room of her house on Radford Boulevard? The house is still there today, I think. It is the first of the Victorian Villa-type houses on the opposite side to Wealthall's shop (as was).

Olive was the only person I would allow to comb my hair as a child. I was a Shirley Temple look-alike (well you can see can't you?). She did perming and Marcel-waving and it was all very 1930s but Players provided her with a lot of customers. She was brilliant with children who didn't want their hair trimmed.

Happy memories.

Does anyone remember Olive Wibberley who had a hairdressing business in the front room of her house on Radford Boulevard? The house is still there today, I think. It is the first of the Victorian Villa-type houses on the opposite side to Wealthall's shop (as was).

I don't know anything about the hairdressing business, but the name Wealthall's caught my attention. That was the greengrocers on the corner of Radford Boulevard and Grimston Road. I remember it because my grandparents lived on Grimston Road and my memories of Radford are based on the fact that we often visited them; many times I went with my grandma down to Wealthall's to "help" her with whatever she was buying.

My grandad was one of those who worked at Players for his entire working life and I definitely remember the tobacco smell which hung over the whole area back in those days (early 60s). He worked in the factory up on Alfreton Road so it was only a 5 minute walk for him, and he used to come back for his dinner every day between 1pm and 2pm.

Around 1963-65, the below shop @ Radford Blvd/Graham Street was a second hand shop selling Clothing and furniture.

In the window was was a small print of a work of art which depicted two topless females sitting facing each other.

One was tweaking the others chest and the shop owner had attached a note "I wonder what is on Radio Luxenbourg?" :)

I have never forgotten this image since that time, but have never since seen the work of art. Does anyone know what it was?

radfordblvdgrahamst.jpg

Did Mr Wealthall always wear a brown coat like Arkwright in open all hours? & also wear a Bowler hat?..................or is my memory playing tricks ..................again!!

:) Hi Mick, I remember the antique/ junk shop on the corner @ #149.

I cannot help you with the query concerning the print but I will say that I bought two blue and white oval plates from this shop during the 60's. And, (surprise, surprise) they are both decorated with two topless ladies! Blush :blush: blush :blush:.

All I have to say on the matter is that the lady owner of the shop must have had a thing about topless females!

Signed: 'Concerned' of Nottingham.

• Upvote 1

:) Hi Mick, yes I do still have the plates; perhaps one day if the 'Antiques Roadshow' is in the district, I may take them along.

I have it in my mind's eye, the print that you mention: a lady having her breast tweaked; I'm sure the answer will eventually come to me. :)

PS: the artist may be 'Lucas Cranach the Elder', of the medieval period, (what we kids from Radford know eh?).

:) Hi Mick, yes I do still have the plates; perhaps one day if the 'Antiques Roadshow' is in the district, I may take them along.

I have it in my mind's eye, the print that you mention: a lady having her breast tweaked; I'm sure the answer will eventually come to me. :)

PS: the artist may be 'Lucas Cranach the Elder', of the medieval period, (what we kids from Radford know eh?).

Just underlined you phrase, my old mum would often say this, especially when I phoned her from my southern coast home & tell her about things her grandsons got up to.............."I just have them in my minds eye, miduck" she'd say, brought a lump to my throat on more than one occassion............... :)

:) Paulus, regarding Mr Wealthall, no your 'memory isn't playing tricks', you're correct; as soon as I read your description, this very well spoken, gentleman, green grocer appeared to me. :)

Thanks Jackson, glad you could also remember him......................unless of course he was a 'shared' hallucination...............................

"Is that a mirage?, cried the lost soldier, or am I seeing things"

the artist may be 'Lucas Cranach the Elder', of the medieval period, (what we kids from Radford know eh?)

You may be right Christine, certainly looks like his style.

Google image search brought back hundreds but not that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sussexred, long time no hear, my brother went to bramcote tech and then when the two schools joined forces, he was in the sixth form at the grammar with Jim.... He left in 1974....

Hi Hippo Girl,
Happy New Year to you!
I tried to PM you as I may have known you or your brother, but apparently you aren't receiving any more messages?

Around 1963-65, the below shop @ Radford Blvd/Graham Street was a second hand shop selling Clothing and furniture.

In the window was was a small print of a work of art which depicted two topless females sitting facing each other.

One was tweaking the others chest and the shop owner had attached a note "I wonder what is on Radio Luxenbourg?" :)

I have never forgotten this image since that time, but have never since seen the work of art. Does anyone know what it was?

radfordblvdgrahamst.jpg

5526000_f520.jpg

Was this the painting?

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first response so hope I'm doing it right.....I remember the Denman Pub on Denman Street as we lived on Denton Street til I was 9 when the area was demolished. There was a partition wall between the pub and our communal back yard...communal with Kyam Street that is....and we kids used to play ball against it. I remember a friend living on Garden Street???? and there was a pub called The Rising Sun, I remember liking the sunny pub sign.

I also remember a house burning down and a child being killed on Ronald Street, the house was next door to the Havelock Pub I think, just by the arch carriage entrance.

I remember the Balaklava Hotel only because my Dad's family were reputed to have rented it for some time well before I was born. It was at the top of Denman street.