Chapmans map of Nottinghamshire 1774

I have just come into possession of a copy of Chapmans Map of Nottinghamshire 1774. Unfortunately there are 10 sheets and each one is A3 (That is the one twice the size of A4 I think) Unfortunately my scanner will only do A4 so if any one would like to see a particular area let me know and I will just put that on and we can build up bit by bit.

Good stuff Ian...of great interest to me!

Might I suggest a scan of the City firstly, and selfishly request a connecting due eastward scan out to the Lincs border at, say, Bottesford/Muston?

Or following the Trent to Newark...

If possible, perhaps later scans could then extend outward from the initial City view?

Many thanks...

Cheers

Robt P.

Many thanks Ian.

At first glance these are extremely interesting...

Will enjoy looking at them in detail...already noted some surprising features around Bingham and the Vale of Belvoir.

I'll report back when I've digested them

Cheers

Robt P.

Ian,

I've found your 1774 maps to be fascinating!...amazed at their quality and clarity.

From the posted sheets, clearly the arterial roads/tracks remain almost exactly the same, especially so in the Belvoir Vale.

Note the straight (very Roman!) road, that no longer exists, heading south-eastward towards Redmile from the Elton Cross roads, off the present day A52.

Cotgrave and Ruddington appear to be the largest population centres in the Rushclff(e) area...seemingly bigger than Bingham, Radcliff(e) or even West (Weft!) Bridg(e)ford!!

Would be grateful if you are able to post the sheets due north of the City, from Bulwell, Hucknall, Ravenshead up to Mansfield...many thanks.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for the map Ian

It is possible to create a page showing these stitched together if the joints are accurate.

I could FTP them and we could create a page for it if you like?

A bit like this...

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/planB...b.php?planNo=33

There's another way too Ian, photograph them with your digital camera. Thats the way I intend getting the Clifton Colliery and Cotgrave Colliery abandonment plans on my website.

Ian

I have PM'd you all the information you require to upload the files via FTP to your own area.

If this is successful I may extend this service to other members for building Nottingham pages.

Lets see what you can do.

You have 100mb

Your time starts now...

animated_clock.gif

Ian,

I've found your 1774 maps to be fascinating!...amazed at their quality and clarity.

From the posted sheets, clearly the arterial roads/tracks remain almost exactly the same, especially so in the Belvoir Vale.

Note the straight (very Roman!) road, that no longer exists, heading south-eastward towards Redmile from the Elton Cross roads, off the present day A52.

Cotgrave and Ruddington appear to be the largest population centres in the Rushclff(e) area...seemingly bigger than Bingham, Radcliff(e) or even West (Weft!) Bridg(e)ford!!

Would be grateful if you are able to post the sheets due north of the City, from Bulwell, Hucknall, Ravenshead up to Mansfield...many thanks.

Cheers

Robt P.

I will do as I did with the first ones for now, but I will try to do what Mick suggests when I get a bit more time,just give me a while as it's Christmas eve and I have two little ones to entertain!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well done Kev, I didn't have a clue where to start !! I can't find the original any where, but SWMBO has been tidying up so they could be anywhere !!!

• 2 years later...

The King's Mill Centre For Healthcare Services Nhs, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

Viewed this topic via www.google.co.uk — 1774 map of mansfield notts

At 21 Dec 14:22