Christmas shoppin' in tahn

Well that's it done again thankfully for another year. I got everything in two missions, sneaking over the border from Redhill to the great Metropolis.

Went mid-afternoon and Mansfield road on the way in was busy as one might expect but after negotiating the traffic and parking up I didn't actually find the city centre that bad really. Are the retailers not getting the business at this time of year they once did, I wonder?

I always go armed with a 'missus list' with all the things she *ahem* might want. It makes life so much easier and I get to hang around in Jessop's cosmetic department and stare at the array of pretty assistants without being arrested. Who said this Christmas shopping business was a chore?

As an added bonus I nipped on Victoria Market and acquired a few salted cashews, a nice pork pie and a bit of bedtime reading in the shape of a second-hand Inspector Rebus novel. Life is good.

I am currently off sick from work, first time in years.

Had a bad bout of the flu!.

I therefore cant go out to buy the pressies.

I will be resuming work from sick on my first day off which happens to be Christmas eve.

I will unfortunately do my Christmas shopping then.

Anyone who might have any ideas for a pressy for SWMBO, they would be gratefully received?

I think you should buy her some 'garage flowers' and Ferrero Roche, with some barbeque charcoal, and of course the car air freshener and not forgetting that last card on the rack (with the envelope that dosen't fit)All available from your local 'Shell' station.

Also available some oil and anti freeze etc etc etc

• Upvote 1

I dunno - I have always found I do me best crimbo shopping at the very last moment! On one memorable occasion I was working in Scotland - got up Christmas Eve, did ALL my shopping on Princes Street in Edinburgh, then did the 4+ hour drive to my sister's house near Cambridge! About halfway to Cambridge, the generator on me car (a 1964 MGB) packed up - just as it was getting dark - and snowing! I put me foot into it and arrived with all electrical stuff still working!

I am currently off sick from work, first time in years.

Had a bad bout of the flu!.

I therefore cant go out to buy the pressies.

I will be resuming work from sick on my first day off which happens to be Christmas eve.

I will unfortunately do my Christmas shopping then.

Anyone who might have any ideas for a pressy for SWMBO, they would be gratefully received?

A good cordless drill with accessories, and if she don't like it, one could take possession of it. !laughing!

• 4 years later...

did alot of mine online and down retail park in netherfield.Popped into town yesterday and got the remaining bits... i think everyone has 3 pressies each (we have a big family, so its been a pain up the jacksie!) popping back in next week early morning, not to do any shopping but to have a wander round, take little one to see santa (£5 for a free gift AND photos... bargain), buy some fresh nuts and fruit from the market, then have a casual wander round.. while watching everyone else panic buy! muahaha.

Ordered a few from amazon, ordered my daughter some Duplo from them last night, they had it for £11... shops had it for almost 20! And it was free delivery, bonus! I quite like Play.com too, bought loads from them in the past

Finished mine yesterday with a quick trip to Manchester. (£6.30 to park for an hour and a half !!!) I would have done what we normally do and parked at Altrincham and gone in on the tram but I had to go to Swinton on the way in and there's no tram to/from there. (Bit of a result here. I went to a tackle shop to buy myself a 'Barbel Pod' that they were advertising in a fishing magazine I buy , it was 'up' for £29.99p RRP £49.99, fair play to the guy there, he said "I don't want to sell you one as they are c**p"

After I told I'd made a 'special' journey to buy one he went up stairs to the store room got one out and showed it to me, and we then tried (Unsuccessfully ) to put it together, a far too complicated a task to be doing when all you want to do is fish !! So I asked about others they had and we did a deal on a 'Good' one . I managed to talk him down to 45 quid !!! So fair play and a 'Big Up' to Fishing Republic for that !!

Anyway I digress.

We walked in through The Manchester Christmas market which wasn't too bad , I got a pressie for my sister and her fellow there. Then into The Arndale Centre and got a pressie for my brother and his family there.

Found a white Poinsettia for my Mum and Mother in law to go with their 'Christmas Hampers' that were bought in Cornwall a few weeks ago

A quick 'cuppa' then back to the car (Bumped in to Andy Cole (the ex Manchester United Footballer) in the queue to pay, miserable f**ker.)

I find that shopping online can be a bit nerve wracking as you wait for the goodies to arrive, after , basically, you've given your 'hard earned' to some one you've never seen or met for that matter!!

I'm still waiting for a pearl bracelet to turn up that I have bought SWMBO, they assure me it has been dispatched, but......... I'm still waiting !!

I'm also still waiting for a portable twin screen DVD player / TV that I have bought for the kids to use when we make the long journies in the car.

I only use the same websites, Amazon and Play, unless its a store's website such as argos then ill reserve and pay when i collect it. i ordered aload of stuff from boots last year, arrived all damaged, they let me keep all the items and they replaced them for nothing, so i had some extra prezzies (the ones that werent too bad off) and some goodies for myself!

Getting in the mood now, All the pressies are wrapped and put into large gift bags as my daughter and the cats will destroy them under the tree... The christmas table is taking shape now with nuts, bombay mix, tubs of mini cheddars etc, boxes and tubs of chocs and clementines/satsumers... Does anyone else lay a christmas table? Its something my mum did on the week running to the big day, so i thought id keep the tradition alive in my own house.. Plus the dinnin room is closer to the kitchen when i fancy a cheeky nibble!

Mostly all done here. Its not the same though when all the presents on the childs list are easily sourced and easy to wrap. Gone are the days of trying to work out how to wrap a pram/scooter/theatre and having to keep a very large rocking horse hidden for a week. I will not miss prying the ridiculous packaging open though and fighting with glue. staples and ties.

Nearly done, but was going to pop in to town today for a nice walk around, take a walk around the christmas market and soak up the festiveness.. The weather and a poorly baby made them plans fly out the window. Might pop into arnold tomorrow for cards and final bits and bobs.

I spent the day in town yesterday.

Looked in every shop for main present for SWMBO.

Finally returning to the first shop to buy it!

Come to think about it, I did the same last year.

:) Sitting on the tram the other evening, after 'Christmas shoppin' in tahn', I passed by the 'Market Square': all lit up it was, the Carousel merrily spinning round - people having fun; such a delight to see. :biggrin:

A Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all :cheers:

Went shopping in Newcastle yesterday - Nottingham is better! Mary says so!