• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it's still there I guess but not as we know it, Red. In fact it's pretty terrible now, (and has been for a long time). I did my apprenticeship in that place in the seventies, it was practically

No - that's Rodney.

basfordred, you state that you finished up at the Spread Eagle pub (#72). I'll bet that you were spreadeagled by the time you'd done that lot...lol

Michael Sams lived in a house at the side of the east coast main line where the line goes under the A1 just north of Newark, house still there

Rog

No Mick Newark is just a tad too far even for me & the train fare is only £7.40 with a rail card.

I also visited the antiques centre & there is a very nice book shop there with a good selection of books on Nottingham(shire)

mick2me and Bubblewrap's posts reminded me of my wife and I walking to Newark from Nottingham in the late 60's. Don't ask me why, we just used to do crazy things on a whim. I'd heard that there was a pub in Newark that used to have good groups on. I asked my wife if she fancied going but she said it was a long way to drive home after having a drink. I said "Ok, lets walk it there and get a lift back". It was summertime so my wife said that we'd take a little picnic with us. We'd set off and take a steady walk, looking at anything of interest as we went along. There is so much to see that you'd normally miss as you sped along in your car. We'd go into a field to have our romantic picnic before the last stretch to Newark. We'd have a great night watching the group and at closing time we'd get a lift home. A little comment from mick2me 'Did you walk it' (#35) brought the memories flooding back. I've tried to remember the pubs name but I can't think of it.

• 2 weeks later...

He's still a regular around the city, Jack.

545904_412399852154211_1249629816_n.jpg

I'm reasonably sure that he got an MBE recently.

In the 70's

Vernon Arms-Basford

Beacon-Aspleh

Cocked Hat-Broxter

Yates's-in tahn

Sawyers Arms- also in tahn

Reserves- Plough, Dover, Rose-Radford

Sawyers Arms? when were you last in Nottingham? it was closed years ago)I cant remember when)

Bubblewraps, my post did refer to the 70's , (top line)......................& as Braddy points out in closed in 88....................

• 3 months later...