Not necessarily the 'best' five but the ones you'd wish to take with you if you left the green and pleasant pastures of Notts.

Here's my (current) five. Reasons to come.

1. The Woodlark, Lambley

2. The Bell Inn

3. The Lincolnshire Poacher

4. The Four Bells, Woodborough

5. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it's still there I guess but not as we know it, Red. In fact it's pretty terrible now, (and has been for a long time). I did my apprenticeship in that place in the seventies, it was practically

No - that's Rodney.

basfordred, you state that you finished up at the Spread Eagle pub (#72). I'll bet that you were spreadeagled by the time you'd done that lot...lol

The Q.E.

The Malt House

Yates as it was in the late 80's early 90,s

The Imperial from the 80's

and of course the Ariba

Not in any particular order:

The Poacher

Horse & Groom - Basford

The Lion - Basford

Pear Tree - Basford

The Woodlark - Lambley

The Dragon Long Row

The Lion Mosley Street Basford

The Castle Castle Road

Old Angel Stoney Street

Junktion 7 Canning Circus

Pheasant Inn Prospect Street

Gone but not forgotten

Mortimer's cavern / Dog & Bear / Tavern in the Town / Sunday night @ Town arms / Turf Tavern 2 years ago / Flying Horse / Fountain / Mid-Week White Hart in Arnold

Mid-Week White Hart in Arnold

Well it's still there I guess but not as we know it, Red. In fact it's pretty terrible now, (and has been for a long time).

I did my apprenticeship in that place in the seventies, it was practically my second home. It's still the pub nearest to where I live but I wouldn't dream of using it. I last went in there a time or two around two years ago with some teachers I used to work with. There's always a group of guys who look like they've been drinking in there all day and into the evening (and not handling it particularly well). The atmosphere in the place is choking due to the 'sizzling' dishes they serve up to the punters. There is no other atmosphere to speak of.

Arnold and Redhill is pretty poor for pubs these days I reckon - poorer than it's ever been. There's plenty of 'em but hardly a decent boozer amongst them I'm sorry to say. Oh for the days of the old White Hart, it was more lively than practically any town pub in those days.

• Upvote 1
Well it's still there I guess but not as we know it, Red. In fact it's pretty terrible now, (and has been for a long time).

I'm talking early 80s when they possibly had one of the 1st video dukebox in Nottingham , Think Samuel Peeps on Goldsmith Street also had the video duke/jukebox @ the time ?

I'm talking early 80s when they possibly had one of the 1st video dukebox in Nottingham , Think Samuel Peeps on Goldsmith Street also had the video duke/jukebox @ the time ?

Yeah sure remember that era. You could go in there on a Sunday night and it was still so busy it was quicker to walk outside round to the bar to get served. Me and my mates would often start the night there, tour around in a couple of cars and go back because nowhere else could really touch it.

Remember there was a certain 'route' at that time with pubs such as the Town Arms, The Porchester, The Harvesters all popular visits.

I remember walking in th e Dog and Bear with Mick and some others one night in 84, and the video jukebox was playing 'Legs' and one amongst us remarked "Oh look Zed Zed top"

• 3 weeks later...

Good Pubs……..Ummmmmmm.

Personally I don’t give a dam what the pub is like on the outside or inside as long as the ale is to my liking…………..OK!

Bip.

• 3 weeks later...

As I went out with an Arnold girl in the mid 70's, i frequented a lot of pubs there, and, as Stu mentions, The White Hart was possibly The place to be, also taking in The Old Spot, Druids, Robin Hood, and the various "clubs" there, Labour, Liberal, Working Mens etc.

Speaking of The Dog & Bear, as an apprentice electrician, I helped with re wiring during its refurb in the late 60's. One day, just after the plasterers had skimmed the final coat on the bar area, which had a false ceiling just over where the pumps would eventually be placed, the spark I was apprenticed to, gave me a reel of twin and earth, and sent me up into the space above the bar, to cable up for where the lights would be situated.

Now, balancing on 2 by 4 joists was not my strongest feature, and im sure you can guess by now what happened next... I misplaced my foot, and ended up with my leg protruding through the freshly finished plaster, which pleased the plasterer no end!

OOOPs

Been there done that (My own bathroom to be precise ,when I was fitting some recessed lights)

1. Vat and Fiddle

2. Lady Bay

3. Langtry's

4. Stratford Haven

5. Tap and Tumbler (Loughborough)

All sell the REAL stuff!!!!

• 4 years later...

In the 70's

Vernon Arms-Basford

Beacon-Aspleh

Cocked Hat-Broxter

Yates's-in tahn