The Druids Tavern on high Street, Arnold, was my choice of underage drinking pub.

Can someone remind me where the Hearty Goodfellow was, please?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it's still there I guess but not as we know it, Red. In fact it's pretty terrible now, (and has been for a long time). I did my apprenticeship in that place in the seventies, it was practically

No - that's Rodney.

basfordred, you state that you finished up at the Spread Eagle pub (#72). I'll bet that you were spreadeagled by the time you'd done that lot...lol

My five from the fifties

The Salutation

The Bodega

Lord Nelson Carlton St.

The Queen Elizabeth Bottle Lane

The Windmill Fletcher Gate

Dennis

The lantern Lodge was a bar walk up Bottle Lane, turn right and it was on the right.

Black & White painted georgian windows. Possible forerunner of the Arriba Club?

Poohbear, this now rings a bell.

I remember the Belvedere Club upstairs and mentioned here elsewhere.

Wasn't the Monday Club, a Conservative Club?

Corner of Mount Street and Maid Marion Way. They did good cheese and onion cobs at lunchtime!

[Hearty Goodffellow] did they have a Sunday carvery in the 70s? Memory not as good I I would like.

'Old' or 'Original' Red? Or have they been bulldozed and replaced?

The D&P on the south side of Parliament Street is still there, the other was knocked down to build Viccy Centre.

I am not sure which was the original.

The Old is still there "The Original" went. But that was a replacement the first "Original" was demolished when the Victoria Station was being built.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM013210&pos=1&action=zoom&id=64658

:biggrin: 'Dog and Partridge', now there looks an interesting pub, judging by the Characters that hang around its front doors; have often been tempted to go inside and discover what it is that makes the Pub so popular.

It's been like that for years, a motley group of people hanging around outside. I suppose we should worry / be concerned if *'the show' should ever cease!

* One of Nottingham's 'sought out' sights. :biggrin:

It is a haven for 'older clientel', who would look out of place in some of the trendier bars nowadays.

In the 80's/90's, The Thurland was the place for mixed drinkers, young and old.

The Thurland was a great pub, on Christmas eve the works would close at 12.00 and we all go to the Thurland until closing time, that was 2.00 2.30 i think? when pubs closed in the afternoon. When the bell rang for last orders you ordered double the drinks so you got plenty to drink until you got chucked out, oh great times.

• 6 months later...

1, Tavern in Town (Upper Parliament st) not sure if it's still there?

2, Queen Vic (Bottle Lane is it?)

3, Dog & Bear

4, Bell In, Market Sq. (Loved the jazz on a Sunday lunch)

5, Crystal Palace.......just because my one & only time I went in it was the day before it closed.

In the mid 60's, my mates and I would try and do twenty pubs on a Friday or Saturday night. We would only have half in each .

We would start in The Bell, then up St James's street for the Imperial and News House, down Maid Marian Way for the Sal and the Royal Children. We then cut through to the M & B pub near where McDonalds is on St Peters Gate, Then Dog and Bear, Exchange, Flying Horse, Black Boy. Round the corner to the White Lion, Crystal Palace, Corner Pin, Miltons Head. Back up Parliament St another M&B pub, something and horses. Blue Bell, Turf Tavern, Peachtree, Guildhall Tavern and hopefully finish at the Spread Eagle.

Oh happy days . Burp!

Well sad to say Steed , of your choices only one (The Bell) is still there !!

It was the Queen Elizabeth (Q E) up Bottle Lane.

Just been browsing through an 1896 Nottingham directory at the list of pubs...hundreds of 'em, and until later years they retained their original names.Naturally dozens disappeared over the years as areas were demolished and altered. And nowadays...well,nuff said!

Then it struck me just how many I had been in...never thought of it before,but I must have spent half my life propping a bar up :biggrin:

Out of all the trades until recently,the pubs once built stayed trading in the same places, sometimes for over a hundred years.It must have been a good time to be a brewer.