Name this Nottingham band

Brownie points for naming this band, pictured here in a 1967 promotional shot.

I know nothing of the group apart from their name and that they're local.

081e41c0.jpg

No cheating, right-clickers!

I had an argument once with a mate (Chris Ashley to be precise) that Amen Corner were from Nott'm, but the leader (Andy Fareweather-Lowe) turned out to come from Cardiff,so it may be them under a misconception on your part

Uh-oh, we have developed an echo!

I had an argument once with a mate (Chris Ashley to be precise) that Amen Corner were from Nott'm, but the leader (Andy Fareweather-Lowe) turned out to come from Cardiff,so it may be them under a misconception on your part

Did i ever tell you about how Chris, along with Graham Knight, bamboozled me into what was going to be a sponsored walk, from Langley Mill bus station, to Market Square in Nottm?

What happened was Chris looked at his watch, and decided that given the allocated time for the walk, the Royal Children pub (opposite Trent where it was originally) would be closed by the time we got back, so decided we would run it!

Bearing in mind the distance, and the fact i hadnt run more than 10 yards in one go before, i found it thee most knackering experience ever, and couldnt walk for 3 days afterwards! Ta Chris!!! (Now in Spain)

No ,I just recognised the hairy one

Also the one on the left lived near me and had a great big Winibego on the strength of their success

No ,I just recocnised the hairy one

Also the one on the left lived near me and had a great big Winibego on the strength of their success

The one on the left was Phil Wright - same class as me at school

• 3 months later...

It's The Nerve. Rob Duffy on Vocals.

Until recently he was playing with the reformed version of THE BEATMEN.

I got in touch with him by chance recently when I was searching for the artist of a record that I had on tape and had been trying to find out who it was for 20 years. Turned out to be "Please Believe" by The Beatmen ( Not The Nerve)

It's a fabulous track and was actually only the B side of "Now the Sun has gone"

Anyway from what I gather, The Nerve were signed to PAGE ONE records, home to The Troggs. The single I saw was produced by one Reg Presley!

Not heard it though.

Check out The Beatmen site http://www.beatmen.info/60s_groups.htm

• 6 months later...

[quote

He moved to those 'Rabbit hutches' by the 'Starting Gate' in Colwick in 76 ish} anybody recall a domestic murder that happened in one of those houses? Re Andy Fairweather Low, yes from South Wales, was part of Roger Water's "Bleeding Heart Band" when Radio Kaos was made, he rang my mate at Bilborough wanting some Hendrix photos so maybe a Nottingham connection?

Worked at bell fruit in the early 70s....Lenton....Was forced into meeting Paper Lace too many times as the drummers dad was our charge hand....cant think of his name just now...we called him 'slothead' cos of the parting on his head and hey it was a fruit machine place....He lived up Mapperley near Porchester rd.

• 8 years later...
On January 13, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Beefsteak said:

He moved to those 'Rabbit hutches' by the 'Starting Gate' in Colwick in 76 ish

He and his other half lived in the rabbit hutch next to mine in Colwick. 

Funny story, I was a kid back then and would make "perfume" for his wife out of petals from the other neighbour's rose bushes. She endured my visits, I didn't know who she was at the time.

Well, one day I decided to bring over my pets to show her, I kept them in an empty plastic icecream container.

My Dad heard screams coming from their house and ran over expecting carnage of some sort, only to find that I had dumped my pets onto her living room floor for a better showing... they consisted of Devils coach horse beetles (who loved beef flavoured Monster Munch by the way) a couple of toads, and a sprinkling of woodlice. We weren't rich, pets where whatever I could find under Mum's rockery garden. She was terrified and livid, standing up on the sofa, screaming at a bewildered young me to get them out of her house!

She told my Dad I wasn't to visit her ever again. 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Since this discussion of Nerve etc., has re-surfaced.  We booked Nerve into the 360 Club a few times.  Also The Lambs of the World who  as well as 'Sutch' (Clive) featured at the time a young guitarist ( Mick Vaughan who went on to join Paper Lace.

Some while back I posted links to a whole load of Youtube vids of Nottm bands but I think that thread has disappeared.

However.. if you search  Youtube diligently enough.. you will find pretty much everything by Nerve, (also their previous incarnation The Lovin' and later incarnation Duffy Taylor Blues)  Sons and Lovers, Whichwhat, etc.

Col