Cold economic wind blows through Nottingham

Nottingham based Experian is to shed 200 jobs. Some of the jobs will be moving to lower-cost places like India.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/7191821.stm

It can't be too long before Capital One starts announcing similar job losses as they are another company that has expanded on the back of Britain's bullshit economy.

But don't panic, film and tv production brought £4.5 million (peanuts) into the Nottingham economy last year. I can't wait for the Evening Post Micawbers to start blathering on about the new Hollywood.

Remember when Nottingham had the lace industry, Cycle manufacture, British Rail, engineering works all over, soap makers, a large coal industry, Rolls Royce at Hucknall, hydraulic and knitting frame makers, cast iron products that were exported around the world from companies like Beeston Boiler Company, telephone products from Erricsons.

I'll bet the unemployment rate when I was a teen was in the single digits, one could always look forward to an apprenticeship when leaving school.

When I was in my last year at school (1966) we went on a visit to Manlove Elliot on Ilkeston Road who used to manufacture laundry equipment.

I was offered an apprenticeship but opted for the gas board on Woodborough Road/Huntingdon Street instead. Glad I did as they closed down a few years later.

Remember when Nottingham had the lace industry, Cycle manufacture, British Rail, engineering works all over, soap makers, a large coal industry, Rolls Royce at Hucknall, hydraulic and knitting frame makers, cast iron products that were exported around the world from companies like Beeston Boiler Company, telephone products from Erricsons.

I'll bet the unemployment rate when I was a teen was in the single digits, one could always look forward to an apprenticeship when leaving school.

You forgot Players and Boots John

Nottingham based Experian is to shed 200 jobs. Some of the jobs will be moving to lower-cost places like India.

It can't be too long before Capital One starts announcing similar job losses as they are another company that has expanded on the back of Britain's bullshit economy.

But don't panic, film and tv production brought £4.5 million (peanuts) into the Nottingham economy last year. I can't wait for the Evening Post Micawbers to start blathering on about the new Hollywood.

Just watched a program which showed you how they constructed the Queen Mary 2 from the keel up and all that went between, guess what! "it was made in France.

We are fast becoming a nation of user's not producers.

Bip.

Also a major printing industry. I worked in local printers for 27 years at various companies including one of the oldest and best-known Howitts.

Howitts remains, now up in Sutton-in-Ashfield but so many have now disappeared.

Not forgetting the big employers in Colwick now gone, ie Trent Concrete, British Sugar,and the gas cylinder people (Can't for life of me remember their name)

I also noticed on my last trip over that a lot of the big fuel containers ,at what was Texaco's terminal, were being cut up for scrap

Not forgetting the big employers in Colwick now gone, ie Trent Concrete, British Sugar,and the gas cylinder people (Can't for life of me remember their name)

Hi Beefsteak,

Luxfor or Luxfer was the cylinder makers, Concrete plant still there but under a different name next to Tarmac readymix plant

Rog

Hi Beefsteak,

Luxfor or Luxfer was the cylinder makers, Concrete plant still there but under a different name next to Tarmac readymix plant

Rog

Luxfor thats it .Thanks Rog

Yes...financial services been consistently going down the drain for the last 10 years, or so.

On the domestic front, most of the major names have now disappeared, merely servicing existing business.

Some are still 'represented' by a dubious bunch of 'independent financial advisors', who all purport to be whiter than white but who, in reality, are even bigger crooks than their 'broker' predecessors.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 months later...

And now Capital One have indeed announced 750 job losses.

Weren't they the ones who just recently were refusing people credit cards ,if you paid them off on time and never incurred any charges ?

• 10 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2008 at 11:00 AM, .... said:

Also a major printing industry. I worked in local printers for 27 years at various companies including one of the oldest and best-known Howitts.

Howitts remains, now up in Sutton-in-Ashfield but so many have now disappeared.

I used to work at Howitts. Started at the old factory in Basford, then it moved to Bulwell.

I remember most people who worked there at that time had nick names. I can remember Bones, Greeny, Fozzy, Tace and me Dickie.

Had a couple of good do's at Howitts Barlock road,,with Park Tavern football club in the early 70s,, was the Tace' Mick Tacey by any chance ?

• 1 year later...

I'll take a guess, it's an old machine identity plate smile2

(working on more helpfull response now)

http://www.ournottinghamshire.org.uk/page/manlove_alliott_co_ltd

Lots of chatter on here from former employees;

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=315340.0

Instructional film /video video of one of their ironing machines;

i

Alexander Alliott invented the centrifugal drying machine.

The 1851 census shows him living with his wife Mary, daughter Mary and son James Bingham, with three servants at Chancery? Cottage, Arnold

The 1861 Census records him living at Western Terrace, Nottingham with his wife Mary, daughter Mary, one visitor (Mother in Law?)and four servants

He went into business with Edward Manlove in 1837

He died in 1870 at Biarritz

His son made many improvements to the dryer and was instrumental in the company making equipment for the sugar industry.

One of their products was Fryer's Destructor, a machine for destroying refuse used in many UK cities at the time to incinerate household rubbish.