ey up from Aspley!

Just found yer forum and i think its great! Was looking through the lingo bit and theres loads on there i say mi sen,might add a few more though!.I was born in broxtowe (or should i say Broxta lol) spent about 9 years there then moved to Strelley,i was there till i was about 17,then lived in Aspley for a couple of years,Met mi bloke got pregnant and lived in this crappy homeless place on wells road,A year in the Medders then back to Aspley were weve lived for the last 11 years,Im gonna shurrup now for a bit before i bore you all to death! lol.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mention of Grassington Road by Willow Wilson in the Teddy Boys thread brought back a memory from the 1960s. My father ran a car repair business for some years from the 60s into the 70s. Bodywork, chas

Ay up lynnie, I lived on Bells Lane Estate, within spitting distance of Broxtowe. Went to William Crane in Aspley, but many moons ago, in fact so long ago, it was still segregated in the juniors and seniors.

Ay up lynnie, I lived on Bells Lane Estate, within spitting distance of Broxtowe. Went to William Crane in Aspley, but many moons ago, in fact so long ago, it was still segregated in the juniors and seniors.

I used to knock abouht down bells lane wi mi mates when i was a kid,nowt to do just ung arround the streets down there! Cranes gone now,theyve just built a new primary school there,quite smart an'all mi son goes there.I went to Player comp for a few years then william sharp.

Kath,

Intended to tell you before, but forgot...as you do at my age...

Just prior to Christmas my daughter, after visiting Beechdale, rashly decided - on a whim - to visit Amesbury Circus, where she regularly visited my mother when a child. You can perhaps guess the rest...what she saw there reduced her to tears; not especially in respect of her late Grandma, but due to the totally run down and abused slum it has now become.

I made the same mistake 10 years ago...never go back!

Did you enjoy the book?

Cheers

Robt P.

Kath,

Intended to tell you before, but forgot...as you do at my age...

Just prior to Christmas my daughter, after visiting Beechdale, rashly decided - on a whim - to visit Amesbury Circus, where she regularly visited my mother when a child. You can perhaps guess the rest...what she saw there reduced her to tears; not especially in respect of her late Grandma, but due to the totally run down and abused slum it has now become.

I made the same mistake 10 years ago...never go back!

Did you enjoy the book?

Cheers

Robt P.

hiya ,used to live on Amesbury circus me self up until 11 years ago me sister still lives there ,i ad to get out ,didnt want to bring my kids up in that type of enviroment ,but it brings back great memories when i visit me sister had some great times there as a kid ,cheers steve

hiya ,used to live on Amesbury circus me self up until 11 years ago me sister still lives there ,i ad to get out ,didnt want to bring my kids up in that type of enviroment ,but it brings back great memories when i visit me sister had some great times there as a kid ,cheers steve

Steve,

Welcome to the forum...

As you are from a younger generation than Kath and I, it's an extra sad inditement of the place that you chose to leave in more recent times!

We both left in the 60's on marriage, when the Circus was still as we knew it...

What number was your house? I was at 223 in the cul-de-sac 1942-1967, and Kath lived up by the NCT 22* bus terminus.

Cheers

Robt P.

*...perhaps 'before your time'!

Hello again ,i used to live at number 40 ,three doors down from what we used to call the old nursery gates(1976-1986)then when i got married we lived at 63 which is half way between deepdene way and eltham drive that was up until 1996 thats when we decided enough was enough and moved away from nottingham to telford ,which is where we still live ,but must admit i still miss the city life ,lol.

Oh my goodness Steve, I lived at #42 Amesbury Circus. I was there from Dec 46-Sept 68. My parents still lived there till their deaths. My dad in '87 my mum in '98. My youngest brother lived the other side of you at #38, after his marriage in '79, for several years. Small world.

Kath [birch, that was]

Rob, I know what you mean about the Circus. My youngest brother called it the Bronx many years ago, most likely worse now. Thank goodness nobody can take our memories away from us, and we can look back and picture it with neat gardens and hedges, no concrete front yards to put your car on. All the doors and windows were alike, and kids playing outside without traffic. Oh and something very unusual nowadays, all the dads coming home from work at teatime!

Oh my goodness Steve, I lived at #42 Amesbury Circus. I was there from Dec 46-Sept 68. My parents still lived there till their deaths. My dad in '87 my mum in '98. My youngest brother lived the other side of you at #38, after his marriage in '79, for several years. Small world.

Kath [birch, that was]

hiya Kath i remember your family very well Alan your brother and i used to play cricket on the field ,hes a little older than me though ,lol,please remind me though i used to call your mum and dad mr and mrs birch

(we had respect for elders in them days )what was their first names was it betty and ron ,please forgive me if im wrong ,cheers steve

You are spot on Steve, dad was Ron, a signwriter before he retired, mum was Betty, or Bet. Lived there from their marriage in 1938. Alan lives in Bulwell, he turned 52 last November. He's divorced, 2 married kids and a slew of grandkids, all at Bulwell, the same as him. Perhaps you won't remember our eldest brother Dave, he married in '66, he's at Rise Park. He's 16 yrs older than Alan, 7 older than me. What year were you born?

Kath

Rob, sorry I didn't reply about the book. I'm saving it till we go on a long vacation in April, when we'll take books that we can both read, to cut down on the luggage weight. I have 2 novels of John Harvey's to take also, so we'll be having a Harvey-fest!

Hi kath , i was born in 1969, so im a relative young pup lol ,and no i dont remember your older brother , but have fond memories of your mum and dad ,also i used to drink in the same pub as alan in snape wood i think it was ,the hall park tavern (was it called that )i think so ,when alan was married to dawn (was she called that) ,lol,cheers steve

Steve, I wonder if we are distant cousins. My Mothers side of the family are Russells. Grandad was Thomas, he had a Brother by the name of William, don't know much about him. They'd both be over 100 if they were alive today.

You are right again Steve. Alan drank at the Hall Park Tavern for years, but frequents another one nearby now [can't remember its name, an old pub] Dawn was his wife, she moved to Malta a couple of years ago to live. Alan comes to visit me out here whenever he can, he'd live here if he could. He is a landscape gardener nowadays, weather permitting. I owe him an email, I'll tell him I have chatted with you, he'll be surprised.

Hi Ayupmeducks,we could well be related,my grandparents were lilly russell,and james(jim) russell,a big family from broxtowe and aspley,grandparents used to live on colchester road in broxtowe many many years ago, if you have any more info it would be good to here from you ,i will do some digging myself,

regards steve

I knew another another Amesbury Circus Russell family from my era.

Son Mick was an outstanding schoolboy cricketer...would now be in his mid 60's...

Cheers

Robt P.

You are right again Steve. Alan drank at the Hall Park Tavern for years, but frequents another one nearby now [can't remember its name, an old pub] Dawn was his wife, she moved to Malta a couple of years ago to live. Alan comes to visit me out here whenever he can, he'd live here if he could. He is a landscape gardener nowadays, weather permitting. I owe him an email, I'll tell him I have chatted with you, he'll be surprised.

the Hall Park tavern was my local from the day it opened for a period of 14 years - the brewery then closed it to expand the kitchen and we all found alternative watering holes for the 3 months it was closed. Never the same pub again and not long after, Arthur and Dorothy (the original tenants) moved on leaving the best pub in Bulwell to the mercy of the accountants. Sad days eh?

The nearest 'old' pub is the Coopers Arms http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/layout0.asp?pub=112071 I've enjoyed a few in there as well but, alas, Kevin and his wife have recently departed also, leaving the pub in a downward spiral - just my opinion.

Not many estate pubs remaining.