ey up from Aspley!

Hi all you lot from aspley

I remember Amesbury circus we used to play on the park there, and the park keeper used to chase us if we got up to no good. Can anyone remember playing in Broxtowe woods? Katyjay you used live across the road from my bridesmaid Jenny you also lived next door to my husbands mate Tony Cussons. We also got married at Cinderhill church in september 1968.can also remember the vicar that should have married us but was killed a few weeks before. I know you from school but you left at Christmas I left the next summer. My husband lived in Harpenden Square. Since joining Nottsalgia you realise what a small world this is, I have also found someone else I used to know. namely Craig.

Val

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mention of Grassington Road by Willow Wilson in the Teddy Boys thread brought back a memory from the 1960s. My father ran a car repair business for some years from the 60s into the 70s. Bodywork, chas

I remember Amesbury circus we used to play on the park there, and the park keeper used to chase us if we got up to no good. Can anyone remember playing in Broxtowe woods? Katyjay you used live across the road from my bridesmaid Jenny you also lived next door to my husbands mate Tony Cussons. We also got married at Cinderhill church in september 1968.can also remember the vicar that should have married us but was killed a few weeks before. I know you from school but you left at Christmas I left the next summer. My husband lived in Harpenden Square. Since joining Nottsalgia you realise what a small world this is, I have also found someone else I used to know. namely Craig.

Val

Hi Val,used to spend all my time playing over in Broxtowe woods(tip) when i lived in strelley,great times!

I remember Amesbury circus we used to play on the park there, and the park keeper used to chase us if we got up to no good...you also lived next door to my husbands mate Tony Cussons...Val

Park Keeper was Arthur Cooper (AKA 'Beanpole') who lived in Bulwell...recall being present at the park's opening by the Lady Mayoress 1951/52, although we had been using the equipment for many weeks before...

I went to Crane with Tony Cussons...tallish lad, IIRC.

Cheers

Robt P.

To us, from the opposite side of the Circus, Broxtowe Woods was perceived as a place of great threat and danger!

Primarily, as we understood that gangs from Bilborough [with the imaginative name of The Bilborough's] would sometimes be there - and that they would attack and take prisoners back to their territory...honest!

Consequently, we only went to the woods in groups of 6 or more to offer some type of meaningless protection.

Anyone who ventured in alone from Amesbury Circus was deemed to be very brave, or extremely foolish.

Recall encountering some 'Bilborough's' from a distance on one occasion and we all scattered, making our own independent way back to the sanctuary of our own area of the Circus

Cheers

Robt P.

Crikey, so many people to reply to! Frank, that's the place, the Cooper's Arms. My brother goes there, but hasn't mentioned the landlords leaving. If it's going down hill, I'm sure to hear about it!

Val, you must be talking about Jenny Joynes? We grew up together, only 3 months between us and went through school together. She went to work at Boots office and me at Raleigh. I went to her wedding but then lost touch with her, but do hear bits and pieces about her and her girls, through a mutual friend. What was your last name at school? I knew a Val King, Val Frame and a Val Price. Fancy you getting married same church same month as me. I have got to know you from those days, I'm thinking. I loved playing in Broxtowe woods, can't remember any gangs Rob, but perhaps that was a 'lad thing' LOL. Tony Cousins was 2 doors down from me at #38, I think he drove a bread van after leaving school? His brother Geoff was more my age, he went to High Pavement. Geoff survived a nasty car crash as a young man, killing 2 others, all were passengers.

Hi Katyjay

Yes i am Val Frame, I also went to Boots and worked in the office above Jenny, I also went to her wedding. Did see her brother(Jeff) a few months ago he used to come to pub where I worked as he worked for Rentokil, he said she was alright but still suffered with her knees. I remember the car crash, was one of the lads named Tony Fletcher? We keep in touch with Tony he has now retired,and he was a bread man. Yes Rob he was tall and still is he doesn't look much different just a bit older!!

Val

OMG it's you Val. I used to play with you at the Cocked Hat, hide and seek, when it was closed. Down in the cellars, up in the bar behind the curtains. We were in the juniors then. I can still hear your dad shout to your boxer dog, 'Get doon Sugar', with his thick Scottish accent. [your dad, not the dog LOL] He played football for Leicester City didn't he? Can't believe the pub has gone now and I think I heard it was already built on again? I have a picture of you the summer you left school, Val King, you, me and Miss Bilton and Miss Smedley, on a hike in Derbyshire with the hiking club at Crane.

Consequently, we only went to the woods in groups of 6 or more to offer some type of meaningless protection.

Anyone who ventured in alone from Amesbury Circus was deemed to be very brave, or extremely foolish.

Recall encountering some 'Bilborough's' from a distance on one occasion and we all scattered, making our own independent way back to the sanctuary of our own area of the Circus

Perhaps they had the same fears about you lot going about in 6's?

I can just see you lot now, like two little bands of Meer Kats!

OMG it's you Val. I used to play with you at the Cocked Hat

Great to see you folks getting Reunited, !englandflag!

Dont forget you can make direct contact via PM links,

but PLEASE share your memories with all.

You never know who might pop up next?

Sorry Val, had to skidaddle, I'm back again now. Yes, Tony Fletcher was one of the lads killed, he was 19. as was the other lad who lived on Eltham Drive. Tony Cousins was more my eldest brother's age. What are you doing with yourself nowadays, do you work? Have kids or grandkids?

...I knew a Val King, Val Frame and a Val Price....

Valerie Price rings a bell...

Didn't she go from Crane to Manning, along with Janet Oswin from Eltham Close and Valerie Grace off Bells Lane?

Cheers

Robt P.

Nice to see folks becoming re-acquainted here.

Just to jump in for a minute. After reading Rob's last post with the surname 'Price' mentioned, did anyone know of another family in Aspley (possibly Miniver Crescent) by the name of Price? It's probably a long shot but my partner's mum Margaret Weaver, nee Price left Aspley for Canada around fifty long years ago. Her siblings include(d) older sister, Joan, Bernard (who still lives in Bilborough) and Alan.

It's a slim chance but you never know with you guys!

Valerie Price was in my class the last term of school. We both left Xmas 61. This Val lived across the road from the Senior Girl's entrance. There was a bus stop for the number 1 bus, and behind that was a cul-de-sac you walked up, she lived in there if I remember rightly. Don't know about any siblings though.

Hi Katyjay

Fancy you remembering the hide and seek games, we used to have fun when the pub was closed cause we had the run of the place and the gardens. you also remembered the dogs name soft as brush he was, he died in 1963. Yes dad did play for Leicester City we moved to Nottingham in 1957. I also have that same picture somewhere on the hike in Derbyshire, what a site we look!! I'm not working I

retired last year after 26 years at the Priory on the A52 (now the Toby Carvery).

Got 3 kids, 2 sons, 1 daughter, all left home, 1 grand-daughter aged 8 to the oldest lad and another on the way to the other lad. How about you?

I remember another Price family but they lived on Beechdale Road.

Another family on Amesbury was the Lyons and the Marshalls, went on holiday to the Isle of Wight with Sue Marshall in 1963!

Val

Hi Val

Like you, I have 2 boys age 35 and almost 29 and a girl 33. She has a boy age 11, no other grandkids on the horizon, both boys are single [not that that stops anyone nowadays] I have grand dogs though!!!

Sue Marshall lived opposite at #43, youngest of 5 and Sandra Lyons at #56, was the youngest of 7. I keep in touch with Sue with Christmas letters. That's how I hear news of Jenny.

We are retired too, although hubby dabbles in commercial real estate. Had our motel 15 yrs, which is a lifetime of hours worked!

Just thought of something else Val, we used to play the boardgame SCOOP at your house. I had never seen that game until then, it was something to do with a newspaper. Didn't you have an older brother, I seem to remember him around the house.

Hi Katyjay

Guess what, I still have the game, Yes I do have an older brother (Bill) he lives down in Essex, it was him that told me about this site, I think he googled the Cocked Hat and came up with this. I am still finding things on here, just found the one you put on about Crane School in 2006!! What memories that brought back! Can you remember Julie Warrington lived on Minver Crescent her boyfriend (Stu) used to pick her up from school on his motorbike?

Val

Yes, Val, I remember the name Julie Warrington, but didnt' know about the boyfriend, must have been after I left. Do you see any of the girls from Crane or ever bumped into them in town, or anything? I left Nottm in 1977, so missed seeing old schoolfriends get older [not like me who's never got any older, ha ha]

Hi Katyjay

Never see anybody from School its funny that, you would think you would, perhaps I just don't recognise them. See quite a lot of people from Bells Lane area but they are my husbands sisters friends so about a year older than me. Can you remember Rino Crackle she was a prefect at our school so might have been in your class? By the way played SCOOP with my granddaughter on Saturday night , not sure what she made of it!

Val

Yes I remember Reno Crackle, such an unsual name, you couldn't forget her. I think she lived at the Broxtowe Lane end of Tilbury Rise. She may have been in my class in either the infants or juniors, but not the seniors. Do you remember a girl called Sandra Greenhalgh? I do believe she left in the summer same as you. I was in touch years ago with her then we lost touch. She found me again on friendsreunited a few months ago. I met her last month when we were in Nottingham, I called in her workplace.

Hi Katyjay

Yes I remember Sandra we used to knock around to-gether, not seen her for years where does she work? Went through some old photos and she is on quite a few in fact got one of her brothers baby(Kim) taken 1961( would be 47 now ) Also got some of the teachers from school. We go on holiday with Rino and her husband every year. Will try and find out how Jenny is and let you know.

Val

Hi Val

Sandra works at the health care centre opposite St Leodegarius church in Basford. She lives in Nuthall. Even after all these years, I still recognised her. I don't think we'd seen each other since I left school.

There's a Crane reunion each March at the New Park Tavern in Cinderhill. If you're interested, I'll find out the date etc. My eldest brother always goes. I've never made it yet, but I did go to the school anniversary [60th] evening in 1991.

Kath

Hi Katyjay

Know quite a few people who live in Nuthall, surprised I've not seen her about, we used to go in The Broxtowe a few years ago but it started to go down hill so we stopped going!! Would be grateful if you let me know date of reunion not sure whether I would go, perhaps my hubby would go as well, he went to Crane till he was 13.

Val