ey up from Aspley!

There's a Crane reunion each March at the New Park Tavern in Cinderhill. If you're interested, I'll find out the date etc. My eldest brother always goes. I've never made it yet, but I did go to the school anniversary [60th] evening in 1991.

You could put this on the calendar here, Eh Kath?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mention of Grassington Road by Willow Wilson in the Teddy Boys thread brought back a memory from the 1960s. My father ran a car repair business for some years from the 60s into the 70s. Bodywork, chas

There's a Crane reunion each March at the New Park Tavern in Cinderhill. If you're interested...

Has the original been demolished and rebuilt, or is it just a revamp?

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Rob

I'll email my brother and find out the date, then get it posted on the calendar. The New Park Tavern was built in front of the old one, then down came the old one, if my memory serves me correctly. Quite a few years ago, me thinks.

Kath

• 2 months later...

I too was born in Browtowe, long before you I am presuming. We left there in 1957 and moved to the Drill Hall on Derby Road, Dad was the caretaker. Left school, went to work at COD Chilwell, met my now husband, got pregnant then married him. Then in 1966 we went to Singapore for 3 years , then Donnington in Shropshire and finally ended up here in Lincolnshire.

I also went to the William Crane school when it was still split into juniors and seniors, I was a junior when my brother was a senior, we lived at Broxtowe but I had an Aunt who lived at Cinderhill and often walked down Bells Lane to go and see her.

Katyjay and I both lived on Amesbury Circus, and both went to Crane in the 50's,

I left the juniors in '53 to go to Pavement, but I believe she went on to the seniors a few years later.

Seems quite likely you would know her, but - to coin a phrase - perhaps I'm a bit too old for you!

Cheers

Robt P.

Hello Katyjay, I was at Crane from 1948 to 1955 when I moved to Forest Fields. My Aunt and Uncle lived on Tilbury Rise and their name was Goode. Do you remember Jackie Pownall's scrap yard in Sneinton, he was my great grandfather.

Hello Katyjay, I was at Crane from 1948 to 1955...

Then you had the dubious pleasure of being there with me!...I was '47 to '53.

What was your maiden name?

Fortunately, I can't recall behaving badly with a girl named Lizzie slywink

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Robt,

Well my name then was Marge Pownall, I have a brother, Barry who also went to the Crane school.

Hi Lizzie

I thought I'd replied to you yesterday, but there it was...gone! Ah ain't technology wonderful. Yes, I remember going to Jackie Pownall's place on Alfredton Rd, taking bundles of rags for money. Didn't know he had a place in Sneinton too. Don't recall anyone named Goode, I had a friend on Tilbury Rise, at the Amesbury Circus end, number 51 I do believe.

Kath

Ah yes, I remember it well!(apologies to French singer)

Jackie Pownall`s main yard was between the bottom of Carlton Rd and Alfred St. Many of my mates and I made a fortune dealing with Jackie as young nippers just after the war.

Alan Sillitoe wrote a novel based around the yard,(the Ragman`s Daughter).

The various protagonists of Sillitoe's early fiction are generally restless young men from the slum world, who oppose the established order of things, but who are at the same time affected by consumerism and hedonism. Sillitoe rejected artistic elitism and instead of satirizing cosy middle-class British life, he focused on rebellious individuals and poor people, who have vile lives. "If I lost all I have in the world I wouldn't worry much," Sillitoe wrote in THE RAGMAN'S DAUGHTER (1963). "

Rouse is more famous today as the Chief Inspector in `the Bill'.(he played `Tony')

As Tony, the narrator of the story, is leaving the warehouse where he works as a cheese loader, the police question him about a suitcase that he is carrying out. It is empty, as it happens—returned by a friend who had borrowed it and had been hoping to keep it for himself.

This short opening episode, embellished with some pithy references to the police, economically establishes that Tony and his workmates are no respecters of private property and that the police are their common enemy. Tony elaborates his attitude toward the law in a comic account of cheese...

Well worth a view if you can get a copy.

Going off track from Aspley (sorry) The Ragmans Daughter was filmed in Nottingham late sixties, i saw them filming on Meadow lane Brand St area. There must have been other areas filmed.

Hi Kath,

Small world isn't it to find so many people who were around when we were young. Yes Pownall's had a place in Sneinton too they sold it to the then GPO in 1964.

I can't remember the number of my aunt's house on Tilbury Rise but they didn't have any children so they probably wouldn't be known to any of the children around,

Cheers Marge

Hi Stan,

Glad someone knows about Pownall's junk yard, I have read the book and also met the author, Alan Sillitoe's mother used to come to bingo at the Drill Hall when my Dad was caretaker there. He would come to fetch his mother home when we had finished.

Cheers Marge

Pownalls place in Sneinton was at the top of Meadow Lane he also had a house on Colwick Rd near Sneinton Hermitage.

Ah ,so he must have had at least 3 yards.? Meadow Lane, Alfred St., and Alfreton Rd.

Yes he had a few places around Nottingham, until he sold up in 1964.

Marge

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Mention of Grassington Road by Willow Wilson in the Teddy Boys thread brought back a memory from the 1960s. My father ran a car repair business for some years from the 60s into the 70s. Bodywork, chassis, welding...that type of thing. One of his customers was an ex Naval chap who owned one of these

Star-_Sapphire-1960.jpg

An Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire Star.

He lived on Grassington Road. First house on the left  after the junction with Aspley Lane. Elderly chap who lived with his wife in a detached property. He was known as The Commander, locally.

It was a pretty ostentatious car but dad loved working on it. I can remember going with him to take it back after it had been in for repair.

The Commander will have passed on decades ago but he was a real character!

• Like 1