Virgin Record shop at 7 King St

Ok boys, listen up!!!! I Humbly Apologise, as promised, because ive finally found ONE person, in my circle of friends etc, that can actually remember Virgin on King st, and Clumber st.

Strange thing is, that despite a lot of them being dj's, and record shop owners ( Rob Smith to name but one, ) none of them could remember Virgin on either street, other than where it is now (just like me, and indeed Virgins longest serving employee in Nottm.)

So there we are, the apology as promised, i was wrong, however, im still not convinced the Stones ever did any gigs in Nottingham!

I stumbled upon this site while looking for material about the 'Never mind the bollocks' case. I can confirm it was the Virgin shop at 7 King St that the police raided - I was there when it happened. The manager was Chris Seale and other staff were Pete, Steve and Mike. No idea what the place looks like now as I haven't been to Nottingham for about 25 years but here's a photo from back in the day - Chris is on the right. I hope this ends the arguments!

post-1235-1200910863_thumb.jpg

Alleluia!

Thank you very much for the info and picture mate. I have very pleasant memories of that place and the music in there at that time. I hope you do too.

A few words I wrote about the music in that era. Most of it bought right there in that little shop on King Street.

1977 - I Got by inTime

Very pleasant memories, Stu, although slightly blurred. I remember hearing Abba blaring out of the ground floor system, mixing with Jamaican dub from the basement, while a regular listened to Steve Hillage's 'L' on the personal headphones every time he called in. What a mixture!

I stumbled upon this site while looking for material about the 'Never mind the bollocks' case. I can confirm it was the Virgin shop at 7 King St that the police raided - I was there when it happened. The manager was Chris Seale and other staff were Pete, Steve and Mike. No idea what the place looks like now as I haven't been to Nottingham for about 25 years but here's a photo from back in the day - Chris is on the right. I hope this ends the arguments!

I can remember spending my hard earned here, although Selectadisc in Goldsmith Street had most of my trade.

Great picture - so who can name the albums in the window then? ;-)

I'll do the easy one - "Smiler" which suggest this picture was taken in 1974 . . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Not much input from this forum (should it go in Music Trivia?), but with a little help from friends:

From the left:
1) possibly UFO?
2) ?
3) ?
4) Houses of the Holy ... Led Zeppelin
5) Alive ... Kiss
6) Young And Rich ... The Tubes

Top row:
7) ?
8) possibly David Essex?
9) Smiler ... Rod Stewart

Bottom row:
10) possibly Bob Marley?
11) Cardif Rose ... Roger McGuinn
12) ?

Lastly:
13) ?

Hah! A virgin shop in Nottingham! Didn't know you had any - I never came across one. !laughing!

Didn't Selectadisc move up onto King street? I do remember what a fantastic place that was - awesome albums at very good prices - so long as you checked the vinyl first! i spent so many hours in there!

The only place I ever found that was better was in San Francisco. That was a musical instument shop with a sign reading 'second-hand vinyl downstairs'. So I made my way down into this must basement and found myself in a place as big as - Slab Square absolutelt crammed with vinyl - floor to ceiling and most of it less than $5 - I had to dump a few clothes to get everything back home!

Nowadays, with downloading, everyone seems to have everything for free - so it's no big deal any more. :aggressive:

• 4 months later...

I remember it really well. Downstairs used to play Dub and Punk (77/78) and had the singles down there. I remeber that the alphabetical dividers between singles has union jacks printed on them. I 'liberated' one of the 'Never Mind the Bollocks' posters from the stairwell. Wish I still had it, worth a fortune now. I hung around the court as the Bollocks case was heard, trying to see Johnny Rotten.

• 1 month later...
I remember it really well. Downstairs used to play Dub and Punk (77/78) and had the singles down there. I remeber that the alphabetical dividers between singles has union jacks printed on them. I 'liberated' one of the 'Never Mind the Bollocks' posters from the stairwell. Wish I still had it, worth a fortune now. I hung around the court as the Bollocks case was heard, trying to see Johnny Rotten.

yup I remember all that,and Mark that used to play what we asked from behind the counter,I always used to dread falling down those stairs god knows why lol

it was a hang about downstairs then a wander to the local cafe( Hollies or the one across the road) then the Odeon pics,a total embarrassment when Hendrix and his crew rattled their way in halfway thru the film,my god now I feel oldddddddddd

can anyone remember the gang that used to hang around downstairs in Virgin? and other places too

Shaz ( me)

Vanessa Pritchett

Jim Mcmanaman

Joey Lamb

Coop

Eddie

Martin

Phil Smith

Viv

mad Rick

Peggy( runs a markey stall i think)

Frank Delgaudio

Pepe Delgaudio

Pete

( cant remember many of their last names)

and a few others,i think we used to more or less live in that place..or meet there and then disperse

I did know a girl from Clifton in the 80's Nickname 'Coopie' or 'Coopee' real name Carol

(possibly Coope or Cooper?) Worked at John Players.

hmm,nah this was a guy ,I cant remember his real name

oh there was a Joe and Sharon too they were always arguing but inseperable lol, anyway he died a while ago

we also used to meet a lot in the Salutation Inn upstairs

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can anyone remember the gang that used to hang around downstairs in Virgin? and other places too

Shaz ( me)

Vanessa Pritchett

Jim Mcmanaman

Joey Lamb

Coop

Eddie

Martin

Phil Smith

Viv

mad Rick

Peggy( runs a markey stall i think)

Frank Delgaudio

Pepe Delgaudio

Pete

( cant remember many of their last names)

and a few others,i think we used to more or less live in that place..or meet there and then disperse

that list should've included skeg after all i was there

what about Andy the mod from hysen green , great mate

and steve the dj from sandpipers lived at hounds road area west bridgeford and at carlton ,ho and that lovely couple from fox road bedsit cant remember there names engaged wasnt they, she was gorge i seem to recall

• 1 year later...

and steve the dj from sandpipers lived at hounds road area west bridgeford and at carlton ,ho and that lovely couple from fox road bedsit cant remember there names engaged wasnt they, she was gorge i seem to recall

hahaha im not so gorg now !!!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't recall Virgin but can remember Selectadisc. My record buying days were spent in Paraphernalia. Does anyone remember that record shop? I spent a lot of time buying and selling my albums here. I recall a shop downstairs in a basement near Yate's I think where I bought Hunky Dory.

There are quite a few threads on Nottstalgia about record shops in Nottingham over the years, if you do a search.

"Downstairs in a basement near Yates" could've been Rediffusion where the record dept was downstairs, and was across the road from Yates .

redif.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Pearsons record dept more than a few times, and I can't really remember where they were within the building. But if you asked me to put money on it, I'd have said they were upstairs somewhere. I just remember Pearsons being a rabbit warren of a place, where you could spend half your day trying to find a way out.

• 2 years later...