Alex Gibson

Dave Needham

Ron Farmer

Keith Pring

Stan Marshall

Jack Smith

Brian Bates

Eric Weaver

My apologies to Geoff Ball, who was probably distraught at having been off loaded by Forest and Dave Needham who was probably the only real talent in that line up, but young and inexperienced.

Stan Marshall could turn it on if he could be bothered, which wasn't very often, he always looked very pale and pretty unfit to me and too busy looking at the clock.

Eric Weaver was a star, as I recall looking like a mini Brian Adams wth an acne problem. He would run the full length of the pitch, but reaching the edge of the box, assuming Stan or Jack had noticed an attack was happening for once, he would be too knackered to cross it and either put it in the crowd or allowed it to trickle over the line in frustration.

Some of the others were so old that they probably got more from their pensions than the County wage office, I was thinking of suggesting George Smith in goal, he looked like a relic from prewar days, a real character from Barnstoneworth and 'Golden Gordon', his jersey tucked into his voluminous shorts, in fact in some ways the whole team were like that, along with the ancient and prehistoric ground.

My late father and uncle were diehard County fans, they used to go and see them without fail, rain or snow. Myself, I admit to jumping on the band wagon and supporting Forest in 66-67, well, seeing all the great players like Greaves and Bestie was no contest to having to endure a small crowd in that dilapidated stadium, watching the park standard goal rush against a team of similar no hopers, or was it really like that.

We had a County fan at school who persuaded us to go to one of their matches one evening, yes we went along to take the p@ss, but it wasn't like that, it was real football, no glitz, underpaid 'proffesionals' struggling against adversity, the real nitty gritty, and I enjoyed it, it was the real stuff, real football, genuine, sincere people in the ground as well.

Since then, I've always been happy to go and see both teams, perhaps thats a bit strange, but I've always considered either one on their particular merits.

My best moment, County beating Forest at the City Ground in Division 2, causing the Forest directors to get their backsides into gear and bringing Clough in as manager, thanks for that Notts, you put the City on the map, Bradd and Carter the scorers, am I right.

• 1 year later...

Mention of Pete Russell reminds me of the time I saw him dive off the top board at Carrington Lido whilst wearing a neck brace, and having a leg in plaster!

Also witnessed the famous clash between him and notorious Everton psychopath centre forward Dave Hickson, at the Lane.

Numerous skirmishes culminated in Russell pulling out the corner flag to spear Hickson - and Hickson telling the intervening ref' to "**** off, and mind your own business!"; happy days...

Cheers

Robt P.

Just come across this and it brought back lovely memories of being down the Lane. Big Pete Russell was my boyhood hero, you could always guarantee him getting into a scrap and livening up even the dullest of games. Little did I know at the time that he liked his drink and was handy with his fists off the pitch!

Oh happy days.

Owdtite.

How about one of the dismal teams:-

Mick Rose

Geoff Ball

Keith Smith

Alex Gibson

Dave Needham

Ron Farmer

Keith Pring

Stan Marshall

Jack Smith

Brian Bates

Eric Weaver

My apologies to Geoff Ball, who was probably distraught at having been off loaded by Forest and Dave Needham who was probably the only real talent in that line up, but young and inexperienced.

Nice post Pete - some gallant underachievers in there! I couldn't agree under any circumstances about David Needham though, he was a very good player indeed for Notts I thought.

who was the notts goalie who on his debut let 7 goals in!

C'mon Ash, giz a clue, it's been a year !!!

who was the notts goalie who on his debut let 7 goals in!

C'mon Ash, giz a clue, it's been a year !!!

Haven't a clue! can't even recall posting it! anyway heres another, how many divisions of the football league have notts played in?

Re the Short brothers, (not the flying boat makers) it was chris and craig

Anyone recall Rachid Harkouk scoring 4 v some div 2 team in (I think) a league cup match? it was 6-0 at half time, chucked it down the whole match, typical notts they let the away fans into the stand at half time whilst we had to stand soaked on the kop! (probably felt sorry for them)

Pete Russell used to work part time at a garage on corner of berridge rd/lambert street whilst still playing for notts

Pretty sure that match was against Bolton round about 1979 (I broke my ankle slipping off of the edge of the kerb on my way home.) IMMSC we had 3 more disallowed and missed at least 1 penalty !!!!! and no, I hadn't been drinking Arnold Champagne !!

Pretty sure that match was against Bolton round about 1979 (I broke my ankle slipping off of the edge of the kerb on my way home.)

Would that have been at Beeston Station?

Notts V Bolton, League Cup, Tue Oct 30th 1984, 6-1, Harkouk 3, Sims, Richards, Young, attendance 4547.

Notts were Div 2, Bolton Div 3 I think.

The next season Notts beat Scarborough 6-1 in the FA Cup, Harkouk getting 3 again.

By coincidence I drove up to Carrow Road from here to see them lose 3-0 to Norwich in the next round, chucked it down that night as well, who went on to win the League Cup that year courtesy of a goal by Asa Hartford, exactly 25 years ago last weekend, my Norwich mates managed to get me a ticket to the final.

Oh, 5 divisions I reckon, 1, 2, 3, 4 and Div 3 South.

I bet the goalie was Mick Rose.

I was mixing two matches up, the one where I broke my ankle was against Shrewsbury in 78/79 season. We won 5-2 with Ray 'O' getting two penalties. The game against Bolton in 84, was my mate (Lives three doors from me now) Mark Cames first game for Bolton. Babtism of fire or what ? He went on to make over 300 appearences for them !!!!!

Season 79-80, Div 2, Notts 5 Shrewsbury 2, Tue Oct 9th 1979, attendance 7361, O'B 2 pens, Mair, McCulloch, Benjamin.

Great site I've found:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ncfc7980.html

Navigate around and you get full stats plus team pics going back to the mid 60's and some beyond that, there were some pastings in the 1949/50 season.

Perhaps this should be rated as the best team:

NCFC1949-50.jpg

1949-1950

Better still source yourselves a copy of this book

The Definative Notts County FC. the oldest league club in the world.

By Keith Warsop and Tony Brown.

email soccer@innotts.co.uk ( I haven't checked this yet so don't know if the link still works!!

ISBN 978-1-899468-99-7

Everything you need to know from 1864 to 2007. It's priced at £21 but I doubt the person who bought it for me paid anything like that amount !!!

Guest Flatcap Driver Rides Again

Your All-Time Notts XI, you say?

I wish this kid who kicks his ball against the Shop shutters opposite

would make the All-Time Notts XI and give me some peace in me flat.

Bloody pain in the backside!, and thats what I say.

in reality the best Notts team (going on result) has to be the one that got them to and played in the 1st division? it's ok ranting on about Lawton, Peter Russell, Leon Luty, Hateley and co but they were all in the lower divisions? Likewise it could be argued their best ever games were the 2 at Wembley when they won promotion?

I dont think anyone would say that Peter Russell was a good footballer Ashley, after all, Wolves kicked him out. He did like his drink too much and only turned out when he was sober. But for entertainment value he was unbeatable and a good bloke to have on your side, he took no prisoners. I did get to see Notts in the 1st division a couple of times, the last one being against Southampton with the likes of Keegan and Channon playing, I think Notts lost 2-0 on that day.I also remember the Aston Villa fans ripping out all the seats on one occasion and I saw them play Man Utd and I maybe wrong but I think Notts won 1-0 (okay, I may have dreamt that). I am surprised that no one has mentioned Gerry Carver, now he was a good player !

Owdtite.

Likewise it could be argued their best ever games were the 2 at Wembley when they won promotion?

I don't know, the two League Cup wins in 1975 against Leeds, then Everton, all within a few weeks, were pretty impressive, probably the best I saw them play, considering the quality of the opposition at the time.

Owdtite

Notts beat Man U 1-0 during season 83/84, Christie the scorer.

The season before they beat them 3-2 at home, Harkouk 2, McParland.

Funny how Forest's success and Notts' First Division days all occured after I left the City for more southerly climes, I tried to go to local away matches when I could, but it wasn't the same.

Here's a quiz question, Charlton v Notts, Div 2, late 70's? at the Valley. Notts had a most bizzarre penalty awarded against them courtesy of Dave Smith, I was in the main stand at the time and couldn't believe it, what happened?