Your All-Time Notts XI

My earliest times watching Notts (and Forest) date back to around 1967 so I'm selecting players from that era. Undoubtedly I'll forget someone.

I'll have a stab at playing manager as those of us who have an interest in football tend to. Here goes:

Raddy Avramovic

Pedro Richards

Dean Yates

Dave Needham

Nigel Worthington

Mark Draper

Don Masson

Arthur Mann

Ian McParland

Ian McCulloch

Les Bradd

Subs:

Barry Watling

Craig Short

Eddie Kelly

John Cheidozie

Tommy Johnson

Manager:

Jimmy Sirrel

Trainer:

Jack Wheeler

I'll have a good think about it first, but Tommy Johnson is off the subs bench and in my starting line up straight away, and Brian kilcline is there along with Brian Stubbs.

With the honourable exception of the 'Magna Carta's' mine host, blatantly obvious from the submitted lists why you've won nowt for 110 years...

What no Tony Hateley?

Second only in my all-time list [to guess who!] of great headers of the ball...anywhere...

His son wasn't bad either...but Dad was world-class in the air.

My Reds list embargoed till later today...some delay, as I've dozens to pick from...could have 30 on the subs bench. smile2

Cheers

Roberto Rosario...now there's a name.

Of the two lists the chap that actually saw him put Tommy Lawton in. He wasn't playing in my era, Rob or he would have been a shoe-in.

Re. Killler, Ian. I preferred Craig Short. i think you could even make a case for Stubby. No artist but he nad a fine partnership with Needham.

Cherry S

Needham D

Short C What was his brothers name? (scored that cracker against Newcastle)

Richards P

Kilcline B

Masson D

Draper M

Scanlon I

Bradd L

Johnson T

Christie T

Subs

Avramovic R

Stubbs B

Hately T

Mc Sweegan G

Benjamin T

Special place for sheer guts, determination, loyalty and hard work

Richardson I

Manager

Sir Jimmy Sirrel

Trainer

Wheeler J

There's another couple of omissions here that come to mind. They're not quite in my era nor were they perhaps at their peak duirng their time at Meadow Lane.

Jeff Astle and Dave Watson.

Tony Hateley was tremendous when he came back to Notts in the old Fourth division and led the charge that finally ended in the top flight. (What a story that was). My uncle told me in those days that 'Big Tone', Les Bradd and Ritchie Barker were all coached by Tommy Lawton at some stage at Meadow Lane. Les was a fantastic header of a ball also I thought.

Ian Scanlon was an interesting one. He was my favourite Notts player at that time. Absolutely unstoppable on his day. I was there the day he scored THAT hat-trick against Sheffield Wednesday. Some game that was.

I thought he was still Notts' goalkeeping coach Red

And thanks for clearing that up Stu .Ian Scanlons hat trick was against Sheffield Wednesday and it finished 3-3 ,Cos I have just had The Definitive Notts County for Christmas and they claim it was against Huddersfield town!!!!!

Mention of Pete Russell reminds me of the time I saw him dive off the top board at Carrington Lido whilst wearing a neck brace, and having a leg in plaster!

Also witnessed the famous clash between him and notorious Everton psychopath centre forward Dave Hickson, at the Lane.

Numerous skirmishes culminated in Russell pulling out the corner flag to spear Hickson - and Hickson telling the intervening ref' to "**** off, and mind your own business!"; happy days...

Cheers

Robt P.

I omited to mention one great player on purpose (because of what he became) I'll just say R.H.

I would also like to add about 50 others to my list including

Ray o brian

Vinter M

Carter Stevie

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a team to conjur with, all played for Notts and Forest, I have seen them all playing.

Darren Ward (G)

Geoff Ball

John( Bill) Brindley Deceased.God bless him.

David Needham

Kenny Burns

Paul Hart

Sammy Chapman

Martin O'Neil (Captain)

Gary Birtles

Nigel Jemson

Justin Fashanu

Subs

Colin Calderwood

Gary Fleming

Jimmy Cargill (G)

Barry Butlin

Geoff Thomas

Manager

Got to be joint

Brian Clough/Jimmy Sirrell

• 1 month later...

From 1975 when i first started watching them my team would be

Raddy

Benjamin Needham Stubbs O'Brien

Carter Goodwin Masson Scanlon

McCulloch Bradd

All these players featured in at least one promotion for this great club all were signed by Jimmy and with 2863 league games for Notts I think this lot could do a job for Notts

• 11 months later...
Wot no Tommy Johnstone?

I refer my learned coleague to post numbers 3 and 6 in this thread !!!