Your All-Tme Forest XI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrote a few words about Jim Iley and his views on the modern game, a while back. https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/modern-football/

FOREST FAN since my uncle John took me to the City Ground about 1950 for a friendly against CLYDE. My best xi would be ( in the old formation ) Shilton,Anderson,Mcdonold,Whitefoot,Mckinley,Burkitt,D

Peter Shilton Viv Anderson Frank Clark John McGovern (c) Larry Lloyd Kenny Burns Trevor Francis Ian Bowyer Garry Birtles Tony Woodcock John Robertson

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

FOREST FAN since my uncle John took me to the City Ground about 1950 for a friendly against CLYDE. My best xi would be ( in the old formation ) Shilton,Anderson,Mcdonold,Whitefoot,Mckinley,Burkitt,Dwight,Bailey,Baker,Wignall,Moore.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Just for hard graft and loyalty,Stuart Pearce would be in my line up,also useful with set pieces,as for forest managers I would love him to match cloughie ,but perhaps.that's impossible for anyone.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello! Tell me, why even extended lists of the best is not present Bill Whare (1946-1960)? In contrast, from the same Joe McDonald ... Whare also won the FA Cup, for a long time played for Forest, was one of the best tackles of artists in the division ...

Maybe because very few , if any members remember them. Limited to footage available for starters.

Anyway Duce, a warm welcome to you.

Here we go then. The other side of the Trent and with all due respect to The Maggies, it's going to be a otugher task this time with the great European sides and the 1966/7 team within my remit. Not to mention some damn good players through the eighties and nineties.

Again, it's the same era for me - !967 onwards. Some tough choices to make but this is my honest opinion.

Peter Shilton

Viv Anderson

Des Walker

Kenny Burns

Stuart Pearce

Roy Keane

Henry Newton

Archie Gemmill

John Robertson

Trevor Francis

Joe Baker

Subs:

Peter Grummitt

Terry Hennessy

Duncan McKenzie

Ian Storey-Moore

Stan Colleymoore

Managers:

Brian clough

Peter Taylor

Trainer:

Tommy Cavanagh

Some fine players not even on the subs bench there, jeez!

Tony Woodcock

Nigel Clough

Neil Webb

Martin O'Neill

Steve Hodge

Martin O'Neill

Garry Birtles

And so on...

Pretty much my choice, might have gone for Metgod instead of Henry! and what a bench to call upon .

Two others that come to mind are Jim Iley and Calvin Palmer .

Being a bit of a midfield schoolboy player used to pretend I was Jim Iley . Always thought he was a classy player .

Not sure why Calvin Palmers name entered my brain though remember him as a hard working midfielder , otherwise can't remember much about him !

Two others that come to mind are Jim Iley and Calvin Palmer .

Being a bit of a midfield schoolboy player used to pretend I was Jim Iley . Always thought he was a classy player .

Wrote a few words about Jim Iley and his views on the modern game, a while back.

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/modern-football/

image_thumb2.png?w=481&h=344

• Upvote 2

#36 Duce.............i remember Bill Whare,noted for his great 'slide tackles' would probably get sent off for em today,.......met him when he had the Pub at Redhill............and David ref Calvin Palmer,brilliant stylish wing half, in the Jim Iley mould,.....think he was mentioned on here when he died last year,God bless him.

Michael Booth, thanks for the warm welcome!

benjamin 1945, grateful for a few words about Whare!

We have a site of the Russian-speaking supporters of the Forest. Currently, the Forum holds a vote to determine the top 33 players in the club's history. In positions (4-4-2).
If you are interested - I can report on the voting results for each game role.

I myself support the Forest since childhood, from 1979, while still with the newspaper and magazine reading. Broadcast of matches and recording of old games became available much later. Nottingham I was the spring of 2009, at the same time visited the City Ground (Forest vs Wolves). Local supporters were very surprised that someone is interested in Russia and is a fan of Nottingham Forest)

P.S. I'm sorry for bad english ...

• Upvote 1

Duce..........your English is very good,better than my Russian,........and just another bit about Bill Whare............his full back partner before Mcdonold was Geoff Thomas,who was a great servant to Forest in the 50s,..and i felt sorry that he missed the 59 cup final..........

Anyone old enough to remember a Forest line like this,.......early-mid 50s........in the old formation

Walker

Whare Thomas

Morley Gager Burkitt

Scott Leverton Ardron Capel Collindrige

It was line-ups like this that i still remember,when my lovely Uncle John used to take me,........Forest were a second division club. Manager

Billy Walker,Trainer Tommy Graham.................Happy Days great club,run by a commitee..........and all English except Bill Whare.