Not worth a 'hat full of crabs'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2803

This utterly worthless 5 day weather forecast, put out by BBC in 'conjunction' the Met Office, changes by the minute. Despite the advent of satellites, IT etc the Met Office can't even give an accurate 12 hour forecast, so why mess about over 5 days?

Recall reading (Private Eye?) that the national Met Office has always had a reputation for inefficiency. Resting place for Hooray Henry's, misplaced egoe's and retired Army officers apparently.

Cheers

V. Meldrew

Totally agree with you Rob, Have a particular interest in the weather and follow several sites which are supposed to give accurate forecasts. Some are conflicting and I think there is a general tendency to look on the pessimistic side to forecast for fear of being caught out. ( similar to Michael Fish when the UK was affected by storm force winds which he failed to predict.)

Some change from hour to hour which makes a mockery of 'long term forecasting' but according to most we are in for some serious weather tomorrow.

Generally feel that METCHECK gives the most acurate forecast.

I've always said, what other job can you get wrong everyday and still get a ton of money for it? It's the same over here, if it's any consolation, it's usually wrong.

I have just seen the forcast for the next few days, and snow is forcast for Friday for any one north of Birmingham, lets wait and see shall we before we cast judgement on them

I dunno who is predicting your weather, but according to the Weather Channel, Nottingham will have light rain today with a high of 45F. Sunny tomorrow and a high of 38F which is the coldest in the ten-day forecast!

Not that the Weather Channel is known for its accuracy, but that sounds very different to what you guys are hearing!

On the other hand, the HIGHEST temperature we have in our ten-day forecast is 39F next Wednesday. At this very moment it is 7F (that converts to -14 in decimal!)

You're better off stepping outside the house and having a look at the sky.

I see weather 'forecasts' that give me in inaccurate description of what is happening now.

I find them all overly-defensive with their 'severe weather warnings' too. Undoubtedly a product of the calamity that Michael Fish failed to predict that infamous time.

We had some heavy snow at 3.00pm today (Not forecast as far as I know) So I am bracing myself for tomorrows onslaught.

On a light hearted note ,I have a piece of string out side my back door, when it swings from side to side,it means it's windy and when it's wet it means it's raining.

In other words, I don't care too much about the weather because we can't change it , if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen

On a light hearted note ,I have a piece of string out side my back door, when it swings from side to side,it means it's windy and when it's wet it means it's raining.

We do the same thing - but we have to use anchor chain. When it is horizontal, we KNOW it's windy! ;)

It's p1**ed it down all night,(no sign of the snow) yet they are still putting out blizzard warnings! it's 10 degrees c here at the moment

10.40am

Bright sunshine and 6 degrees C

I got the temp wrong earlier it was actually 1 degree C

Vale of Belvoir: 11.27

Glorious sunshine here too...

If it were not for a strong wind I would out be tidying the garden wearing just a jockstrap... !tanning!

Told my grandkids last night that they "will be making a snow man tomorrow"...an illustration of how these farcical forecasts can cause you to lose face.

Bert Foord come back...all is forgiven...

Cheers

Robt P.

Vale of Belvoir: 11.27

Glorious sunshine here too...

If it were not for a strong wind I would out be tidying the garden wearing just a jockstrap... !tanning! .

Cheers

Robt P.

No worries, Rob - it will soon be April. Just give us a fair warning before this happens will you! =:0

No worries, Rob - it will soon be April. Just give us a fair warning before this happens will you! =:0

I hope it's nice in April again ,I was away in April (Cornwall) last year and got sunburnt whist out sea fishing. We enjoyed it that much we have booked to go again this year

I hope it's nice in April again ,I was away in April (Cornwall) last year and got sunburnt whist out sea fishing. We enjoyed it that much we have booked to go again this year

Whereabouts are you going mate?

I miss Cornwall, haven't been down there for a few years.

Cornwall again

Near Camelford ,It's a place called Juliots Well at Valley Truckle. It realy is lovely (And cheap too, we went twice last year)

I fink we must have switched weather forecasts - We woke up to snow this morning! All the schools are closed (so SWMBO gets the day off), and I get to deal with prats driving SUV's. I swear, when the weather is bad, its the bl**dy SUV's that cause all the trouble - they seem to forget that, although they can get moving better, they do not steer, or stop any better!

Eric steps off his soapbox!

I fink we must have switched weather forecasts - We woke up to snow this morning! All the schools are closed (so SWMBO gets the day off), and I get to deal with prats driving SUV's. I swear, when the weather is bad, its the bl**dy SUV's that cause all the trouble - they seem to forget that, although they can get moving better, they do not steer, or stop any better!

Eric steps off his soapbox!

In Canada it's always a good plan to live close to a school route as these are the ones that are generally always cleared first in my experience!

Do you change your tyres over there for winter, Eric?

Do you change your tyres over there for winter, Eric?

Nah - I drive a rear-wheel-drive Nissan pickup and keep "All Season" tires (SIC) on it. I manage just fine. It can be a little tricky getting it moving, but it just takes a little care.

There is one stretch of road coming to work that always makes me laugh. It is dead straight for about three miles and runs along the edge of a golf course. Whenever it snows, there is ALWAYS a car in the ditch along that stretch, usually a 4WD. Yes, there was one there this morning! How the heck do you get into the ditch on a straight road is something I cannot figure out!

Where in Canada do you have relatives Stu?

Nah - I drive a rear-wheel-drive Nissan pickup and keep "All Season" tires (SIC) on it. I manage just fine. It can be a little tricky getting it moving, but it just takes a little care.

There is one stretch of road coming to work that always makes me laugh. It is dead straight for about three miles and runs along the edge of a golf course. Whenever it snows, there is ALWAYS a car in the ditch along that stretch, usually a 4WD. Yes, there was one there this morning! How the heck do you get into the ditch on a straight road is something I cannot figure out!

Where in Canada do you have relatives Stu?

I reckon some 4WD drivers tend to be a bit blase about their driving thinking the vehicle is always going to protect the from coming to any mishap.

I have relatives in Kelowna BC (about 4/5 hours drive from Vancouver), Vancouver Island, Edmonton, Alberta, Oshawa, Ontario and Halifax, Nova Scotia. A fair old distance between that lot! Mostly these days the visits are to BC. My missus was partly brought up in Edmonton and last lived there, now there's a wintery place! I've experienced conditions of -30 when visiting but most winters it does get down to -40 (plus -20 wind chill) -60 degrees! A lot of snow as well.

I see it's a balmy -23 in Edmonton today, T-shirt weather!

O.k. you budding meteorologists out there, (You might not understand this if you are in America or Aus but here goes)

Some times after rainfall over here we are left with a red residue on car windscreens and we are told it's the Sahara Desert dumping down on us, I have just been out in the car and there is white residue on it, it's not road salt as it wasn't there when we went out this morning (or came back) what can it be ? sea salt?

Just talking to my mum now and you are having snow in Nott'm (2.45pm) we have just had a bit of hail (3.00pm)

"My missus was partly brought up in Edmonton and last lived there, now there's a wintery place!"

You got that right! Back in 1979 I did some work on the Athabasca Tar Sands - north of Edmonton - in February! First time I ever saw -40 (it doesn't matter which scale!). So cold we never turned off the engines on our trucks, or they wouldn't start again!

O.k. you budding meteorologists out there, (You might not understand this if you are in America or Aus but here goes)

Some times after rainfall over here we are left with a red residue on car windscreens and we are told it's the Sahara Desert dumping down on us, I have just been out in the car and there is white residue on it, it's not road salt as it wasn't there when we went out this morning (or came back) what can it be ? sea salt?

Just talking to my mum now and you are having snow in Nott'm (2.45pm) we have just had a bit of hail (3.00pm)

Just had some more hail 4.40pm (But still no snow!!) That blew over in a minute and it is now quite bright again

Did you while in Edmanton see the Oilers by any chance Stu?

I did many years ago now love to go back sometime.

Bip.

Just had some more hail 4.40pm (But still no snow!!) That blew over in a minute and it is now quite bright again

DITTO....here in Sawley.

Bip.