Hi Ian

I didn't live in Old Basford but my family on both sides came from there. Marlow Ave, Bailey Street, Cheltenham St, Bell Terrace, Vernon Rd. Anywhere near you?

Kath

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I lived on Valley Road, just around the corner from Ventnor Rise in the 50's and early 60's.

Went to Scotland Place School and used to hang around on the Park between Ventnor and Harmston Rise.

Friends included, Roger Eley, Geoff Marshall, Pete Orme, Dave Kemp, Sid Sheldon, Knopper Dickens, Chris and Gerald Wilson, Charlie Bowers etc.

I think the Park Keeper at the time was Mr Jackson, "Jacko".

Happy? days.

Regards, Martyn E

I lived on Valley road too, during the 80's. Also near Ventnor Rise.

I was about 10 houses away from the railway bridge although it had just been demolished when we moved there. They had just started building the new houses there. Moved away in 97.

Hi Dick,

We lived at no 258 which was 3 houses from Ventnor towards the High School playing fields.

I left there permanently in 1965 to join Leicester Police, but we only sold the house about 4 and half years ago.

Would you have been near to the Bowers and the Meakins?

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Ashley,

I used to spend many hours playing! up on the banks alongside the track.

The shops were, Lawrence's? Post Office and woolshop, a green grocers who's name escapes me at the moment.

Cheers,

Martyn

You wont remember that bridge though? when the later one was dismantled a worker fell to his death from it, they carried on with it's removal though probably because they had valley road closed for the day? not long before that I had driven under arnold road and over valley road in a fiesta!

Hello Martyn,

I lived at 385. Other side of the road to you I think. One of those black and white mock tudor thingies.

Should have left the bridge there. Would have made a good tram route. But I'll keep my grumbling to the transport section of this page :-)

I was away in the army 1959 to 1962, but came back home for 3 years.

I do remember 2 brothers who lived along there, they would fit the height, I was 6ft 4ins then and 2 years older than he would be.

These 2 brothers used to drink at the Fox with their Dad.

Mind you, I think they could have been a bit older?

• 1 month later...
Hi Ashley,

I used to spend many hours playing! up on the banks alongside the track.

The shops were, Lawrence's? Post Office and woolshop, a green grocers who's name escapes me at the moment.

Cheers,

Martyn

Alright Martyn. I used to deliver papers for 'Lauros' in the early 70s. They were Sid and Stan and the other brother John who ran the post office side. The sister had the wool shop next door. Next to the grocers shop you mentioned was Marsdens with the old style bacon slicer. We used to play on the banks too after the line was closed down by Beeching. Do you remember the kid getting his leg severed further down the line when some old disused trucks were somehow got moving by his mates? That would be in the 60s.

• 8 years later...
On 03/01/2009 at 1:02 PM, Dick Hatts said:

I lived on Valley road too, during the 80's. Also near Ventnor Rise.

I was about 10 houses away from the railway bridge although it had just been demolished when we moved there. They had just started building the new houses there. Moved away in 97.

Hi there. I lived at 280 Valley Road from 1978-91. I went to Heathfield Primary.