• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another well known person who was a regular on Woodbridge Ave was Neville King the ventriloquist. Late 50's early 60's he worked for Wigfalls, TV rentals. Every Saturday he would call to collect the T

just moved from radford to clifton mid fifties. used to get beat up just fer evin them legs

Just reading Nottm post online about this bleddy bonkers youth found in Clifton with gunpowder explosives & anarchy cookbook? I knew we shouldn't have built that bridge.   http://www.not

We get a lot of Ex Cliftonites dropping in, keep looking, I'm sure some one will know something

• 11 months later...
High, I used to live in Sunninghill Dr in the early fifties does anybody remember the primary school at the end of the road, and also does anybody remember SABRE the Bullmastiff at the end of the road.

Danny

Hi danny, the schools you mention at the bottom of sunninghill drive because there was two on the same grounds was greencroft primary and the other was brinkhill primary. They have now combined both schools and it is now called dovecote primary.. thumbsup
Hi danny, the schools you mention at the bottom of sunninghill drive because there was two on the same grounds was greencroft primary and the other was brinkhill primary. They have now combined both schools and it is now called dovecote primary.. thumbsup

i think brooksby lane primary was also integrated when it burned down in the eighties

i think brooksby lane primary was also integrated when it burned down in the eighties
Yes you are right about brooksby. l also remember the barbers at sunninghill drive where there was a row of shops, next to the barbers was a shoe shop and newsagents, l think the barber was polish and the name pershack comes to mind thou my spelling could be wrong..

I went to a barbers for a Tony Curtis cut and he gave me a crew cut, "Tony Curtis doesn't have his hair cut like this" I moaned , "He does if he comes in here " Came the reply

i remember woolies bread & cake shop! top half of bottom shops orford ave between maypole and rivergreen. their coffee gateau must have had more callories than a donner kebab. just the thing though for sunday afternoon tea with yer colwick cheese and sliced up onion in vinegar, pots of tea with tea cosies, only us mams could do teas like that.

mg

My eldest brother and his wife lived on Brinkhill crescent for years. They have both sadly passed away now. They moved there from Oldham street off carlton road (they were pulled down years ago )

My eldest brother and his wife lived on Brinkhill crescent for years.

Another Small World.

My Aunty Pauline & Uncle Arthur lived at the bottom of Brinhill Crescent for many many years.

Some of you may recall the chap that was 'brought back to life' on the pavement (outside Boots I think - where he worked - probably - all his life) some years ago. That was Arthur - sadly tho' he did pass away eventually after years of bad health.

Another Small World.

My Aunty Pauline & Uncle Arthur lived at the bottom of Brinhill Crescent for many many years.

Some of you may recall the chap that was 'brought back to life' on the pavement (outside Boots I think - where he worked - probably - all his life) some years ago. That was Arthur - sadly tho' he did pass away eventually after years of bad health.

Hi bazzer. Yes it certainly is a small world. First we find out that you used to live next door to my hubbys brother and his wife in gedling now this! By the way posted your Bygones paper. Let me know when you get it? Chrissy. x

By the way posted your Bygones paper. Let me know when you get it? Chrissy. x

Thanks Chrissy,

Bygones arrived today (Wed),,, along with a couple of other bits of Notts stuff,,,, so am in full Nottingham 'mode' now.

My Aunt & Uncle lived in one of the first couple of houses on Brinkhill Cres',,,, I seem to think it was at the bottom (on left) !

Uncle Arthur had heart trouble, & had an attack in the street. It made the front page of the Post at the time - thought you may know him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I mentioned Sam in another post some weeks back - don't know if you spotted it. To do with swimming & Vic' Baths.

thanks again

BAZ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MG,

Slip on plimsolls, I learned to ride a two wheeled bike like that, that was at Clifton as well, that little triangle of land near the 68 bus terminus. Thanks for that memory

Rog

Thems called 'Roller Brakes' them is or 'Lobbers' or even 'Stirrups' to those of us what 'ated mekin the bleddy things !!

hate to spoil rog,s nostalgia, your right the picture was taken in clifton but it was where i lived, i would be looking across the main road to the fields and meadows that bordered the river trent, first bus stop in clifton just before you went onto farnborough rd, in the picture your looking down sturgeon ave to the back of the bottom shops, famous for the infamous fight between frank racher & mac ? in the early sixties. assume you worked for the raleigh then beefstake, my dad did too commisioneer, spent the night down on the lamp gate when my younger brother was born.

mike

I worked at Raleigh in the 70s and used to enter through 'The lamp gate' every morning , as my old man used to drop me off on Radford Boulevarde every morning on his way to Players !!