i remember woolies bread & cake shop! top half of bottom shops orford ave between maypole and rivergreen. their coffee gateau must have had more callories than a donner kebab. just the thing though for sunday afternoon tea with yer colwick cheese and sliced up onion in vinegar, pots of tea with tea cosies, only us mams could do teas like that.

mg

I remember Woollies cake shop and having to walk down there every Saturday with a basin for a shilling's worth of artificial cream that my Mum would put in the two Victoria sponges she made every week - one with jam and one chocolate. Delicious!

There was also George Parker, newsagent and sweet shop and a wool shop, a post office, a hardware shop and a hairdresser.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another well known person who was a regular on Woodbridge Ave was Neville King the ventriloquist. Late 50's early 60's he worked for Wigfalls, TV rentals. Every Saturday he would call to collect the T

just moved from radford to clifton mid fifties. used to get beat up just fer evin them legs

Just reading Nottm post online about this bleddy bonkers youth found in Clifton with gunpowder explosives & anarchy cookbook? I knew we shouldn't have built that bridge.   http://www.not

VWGolf, I'm intrigued. You obviously lived in that area....and so did I. Where were you?

I remember all those shops you have mentioned and I could still name them all. I won't bother at the moment because it might bore everyone else.

We lived on Woodbridge Avenue.

I remember Woollies cake shop and having to walk down there every Saturday with a basin for a shilling's worth of artificial cream that my Mum would put in the two Victoria sponges she made every week - one with jam and one chocolate. Delicious!

There was also George Parker, newsagent and sweet shop and a wool shop, a post office, a hardware shop and a hairdresser.

Sorry for the delay been away for a while. Its always great to hear from someone who lived through those times in Clifton because whenever I think on them it makes me smile. I learned about life there and some of the Clifton girls were real good sports. As Cliff Ton says it would be great to know where you lived, we may have known each other!

As Cliff Ton says it would be great to know where you lived, we may have known each other!

VWGolf has also posted on the "What was your divi number" thread where he/she went into detail about Varney Road shops. They obviously know the area very well :)

lynmee, not sure if those names ring any bells with me. It might also depend which infants/junior school they went to; I was a Greencroft kid so I'd be less likely to know anyone who went to Brinkhill or Brooksby.

Back to the subject of Varney Road.

Picture the Past have recently added a couple of photos showing Varney Road before the newer shops were built on the end at Southchurch Drive. I can just remember this happening.

http://www.pictureth...019544&prevUrl=

http://www.pictureth...019546&prevUrl=

Bulcote Road, off Greencroft from about 1953 to 1967-ish. Where were you?

Woodbridge Avenue, just along Brinkhill Crescent (and not to be confused with Woodsford Grove which was near you)

There are a number of threads running at the moment about Clifton (partly because of you :) ) and I noticed in the Clifton Hall one, you said you were there from 60-65, which makes you a bit older than me because I was at Fairham from 66-73; although I didn't leave Clifton until the late 70s.

The only people I can remember knowing on Bulcote Rd were a couple of brothers called Hewitt.

Check the thread called "Clifton" where I posted a couple of photos of Varney Road, after you'd mentioned it

Yes, I know where Woodbridge Avenue is - I had a school friend who lived there and who went to Clifton Hall with me.

I remember the Hewitts - their Mum was friends with my Mum. Many years later, I bumped into a familiar face at work - Paul Hewitt.

I will dig out some old photographs shortly and post them up.

• 1 month later...

Hi CliffTon and mgread

Regarding the Varney Rd shops area some of my friends lived near there,the Revell sisters Gail and Margaret,Pauline Stansfield and Betty Markham a few names you might know

chaff here, blimey pauline stansfield.we had a little thing about each other once upon a long time ago. i think every

lad my age (69 now ),was in love with gail revell

• 4 years later...

Just reading Nottm post online about this bleddy bonkers youth found in Clifton with gunpowder explosives & anarchy cookbook? I knew we shouldn't have built that bridge.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/clifton-man-denies-terrorism-charge-and-having-gunpowder-in-his-possession/story-29745157-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1
On 25/09/2016 at 11:08 PM, radfordred said:

I knew we shouldn't have built that bridge.

Always thought it was weird building the estate before the bridge. The only way to get into the city for shopping before the bridge was complete was to catch the West Bridgeford bus coming from Gotham, get off at Wilford and then walk across the 'apenny bridge and catch a trolley bus up Wilford Road near the Cremorne.  Had rellies who accepted a house there before learning about the palaver to go shopping. They was not too impressed.

I think it was a case of beggars couldn't be choosers, Alsion. It's well documented what an awful place Clifton estate was during construction in the '50s. Satisfying huge housing demand was key at the time though and provision of facilities for the new residents seemed of low priority. It's debatable whether Clifton bridge would have even been considered at that time, if it weren't for the sudden greatly increased traffic over Trent Bridge. 

1 hour ago, alisoncc said:

The only way to get into the city for shopping before the bridge was complete was to catch the West Bridgeford bus coming from Gotham, get off at Wilford and then walk across the 'apenny bridge and catch a trolley bus up Wilford Road near the Cremorne.  

Not quite.

To get into the city before Clifton Bridge, people could get on the South Notts buses from Gotham & Loughborough and travel on them all the way to Huntingdon Street bus station, which enabled you to go into the Central Market through the side door.

Bin there, done that.  ;)

The bus service from Clifton to Nottm and vice-versa was very good. It was operated jointly by Nottm City Transport, South Notts, and West Bridgford. There seemed to be a bus every few minutes in either direction, and I made that journey literally hundreds of times in my early days.

18 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

To get into the city before Clifton Bridge, people could get on the South Notts buses from Gotham & Loughborough and travel on them all the way to Huntingdon Street bus station, which enabled you to go into the Central Market through the side door.

Most of the people I knew down the Estate came from the Medders, and suspect far preferred to shop where they had shopped all their lives. Getting off a bus and shopping at the Central Market wouldn't have occurred to them in a million years. My Uncle and Aunt who had lived on Brierley Street would invariably head to Arkwright Street to get their rations, even after they moved. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/19/2012 at 11:17 PM, lynmee said:

Hi CliffTon and mgread

Regarding the Varney Rd shops area some of my friends lived near there,the Revell sisters Gail and Margaret,Pauline Stansfield and Betty Markham a few names you might know

my mum and dad had the newa agent on orford ave