julb, during what years did your parents have the newsagent on Orford Avenue?  That was my 'local' until well into the 1970s, so I probably knew them.

In fact, looking at your log-in name, I'm pretty certain I know who you are !

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another well known person who was a regular on Woodbridge Ave was Neville King the ventriloquist. Late 50's early 60's he worked for Wigfalls, TV rentals. Every Saturday he would call to collect the T

just moved from radford to clifton mid fifties. used to get beat up just fer evin them legs

Just reading Nottm post online about this bleddy bonkers youth found in Clifton with gunpowder explosives & anarchy cookbook? I knew we shouldn't have built that bridge.   http://www.not

On 1/30/2009 at 4:25 PM, ray316 said:

Hi danny, the schools you mention at the bottom of sunninghill drive because there was two on the same grounds was greencroft primary and the other was brinkhill primary. They have now combined both schools and it is now called dovecote primary.. thumbsup

There were three schools at the bottom of Sunninghill, Greencroft Infants, Brinkhill Juniors and Greencroft Juniors. I went to all three.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a Whitegate or Whitegates Primary somewhere in Clifton? I seem to think that one of my teachers from Berridge taught there after he left Berridge Juniors, although I could be wrong about that. I do know that he lived in West Bridgford and later on, I believe, the Tollerton area, so he would have been much nearer to his place of work.

On 4/13/2012 at 10:36 AM, Cliff Ton said:

VWGolf, I'm intrigued. You obviously lived in that area....and so did I. Where were you?

I remember all those shops you have mentioned and I could still name them all. I won't bother at the moment because it might bore everyone else.

We lived on Woodbridge Avenue.

Cliff, if you lived on Woodbridge maybe you knew Raymond Johnson, who lived at the Brinkhill end, or Robert Underwood, who lived down the other end. There was also a kid who lived in the middle, who was crazy about Subuteo soccer. He created a whole division and had teams playing each other for the season. He may have been called "Stach'".  Someone told me he even did transfers. We used to skate down Woodbrige on our pram wheel trollies, on our way round the block, via Shelley Avenue. How eco-friendly is that?

23 minutes ago, Anth Ginn said:

What years were you there Cliff?

I'm a few years younger than you and I don't think I knew you at the time, but might've been aware of your name. Those names you mention don't ring any bells; probably because they were a generation older than me. Are you on Facebook ?

19 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Wasn't there a Whitegate or Whitegates Primary somewhere in Clifton? I seem to think that one of my teachers from Berridge taught there after he left Berridge Juniors, although I could be wrong about that. I do know that he lived in West Bridgford and later on, I believe, the Tollerton area, so he would have been much nearer to his place of work.

Yes Jill,, there was and still is. https://goo.gl/maps/ceaHYx3KyebqPkeG9

Anth, do you recall the Hirst family who lived in Woodbridge Avenue? I know CT recalls them. Raymond, Kathleen and their two sons, Timothy and Nicholas. Ray drove an Esso tanker.

Kathleen was my mum's childhood friend and we lived next door to Kathleen's mother for many years.

20 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Anth, do you recall the Hirst family who lived in Woodbridge Avenue? I know CT recalls them. Raymond, Kathleen and their two sons, Timothy and Nicholas. Ray drove an Esso tanker.

Kathleen was my mum's childhood friend and we lived next door to Kathleen's mother for many years.

21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm a few years younger than you and I don't think I knew you at the time, but might've been aware of your name. Those names you mention don't ring any bells; probably because they were a generation older than me. Are you on Facebook ?

Ayup Cliff, (am slummin' it)
Yes, I'm on Facebook, under my name, "Anthony Ginn."

20 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Hi Jill,
No I don't remember the Hirsts. i remember the Wadsleys (Colin sadly died), the Chawners, and sell as the Johnsons and Underwoods. We moved to Clifton when I was four, in 1954. I left Fairham in 1968 to go to college and never   really lived there again. We lived on Brinkhill, between Woodbridge and Shelley Ave.

7 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

We lived next door to the Wadsleys. I knew Colin.

Believe Colin died when they were on holiday, had a sister Carol went to Clifton Hall.  Their other next door neighbour were the Powells.  Harry Wheatcroft (famous rose grower and has a traffic island named after him) often visited Mrs Powell.  harry had a light coloured Merc. Must have been late  very late 50's early 60's.

Evening Cliff Ton,

My Dad used do do a bit of part timing at Harry W's. as he was a keen rose grower and for a bit of extra cash. Harry used to have a chat with him and I'm sure he knew the origin of the roses in our garden.  (Clue: 2 doors down from the green, entry house). Harry was always tyre kicking and had time to walk about whilst waiting for Mrs W to reappear.  Didn't realise Mrs P did a bit of child minding.   

When i was in my last year at Greencroft I had a nice little earner delivering the school washing to Mrs P and picking it up first thing Monday morning to take back.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:25 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, I agree with all of that !

Mrs Powell used to act as a child-minder to some of Harry W's children, and he would deliver them and collect them. I remember him as the man with the big moustache.

He used to have huge sideburns as well CT.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:39 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I was at Whitegate from about 79-81. The deputy head was a Mr Williams. Got a bit of a shock when I was looking at my (much older) brother's class photo taken at Berridge to see Mr Williams stood on the end - he had been my brother's class teacher at Berridge about 10 years before.

• Like 1

Nice to see a first post from Slobberybog.......but then I noticed you first registered on Nottstalgia in December 2010.

Have you been lurking since then ? You obviously think about things for a while before making a decision. :)

• Like 1

Reply to Cliff Ton, (19.02.20)

Morning,

The opposite side of the road to Mrs Powells, 2 doors up from Ray Hurst towards the green.

On the topic of Harry Wheatcroft, When my Dad part timed at Harry's he always used to mention Harry's relative (Brother), think his name was Alf who's daughter lived or visited.

Harry's neice Anna was married to Tom Baker (Dr Who) whom he later divorced.  They had 2 children. (Source IMdb) Were the children dropped off at Mrs Powells Tom Bakers?

Harrys house was the Nottingham Knight which at the time was on Landmere Lane until the ring road went through early 60's.  Can anyone confirm this.

1.  During my time on Clifton, the house you refer to - up from Hurst's - was occupied by the Wilson family.

2.  When was Anna married to Tom Baker ?  Dropping children off at the Powell house is something I remember from the later part of the 1960s. I never saw a Tardis pull up outside.

3. You could be correct about Harry's house which is now Nottingham Knight. Externally it's clear that it was originally a house before several later extensions turned it into a hotel/pub. Before the ring-road reached up there, it was situated between Landmere Lane and Loughborough Road.    

Hi Cliff,

Answer to No1.  Correct

Answer to No 2. Google search for Anna Wheatcroft, computer say. 1961-1966, Children Daniel and Piers Baker. With regards to the Tardis, it had an early version of  cloaking device.  Left on the street with one of those car covers thrown over it.  

Do you remember Mr Sherwin who lived at 35, had a prewar two seater Riley Coupe, rag top that had seen better days, wire wheels. Not sure of exact model but we referred to it as Sherwins Cronk.  Probably worth a bit these days.

There was a story (as told by my Dad to me) probably  pre or in wartime and before HW moved there that the house was one of "ill repute".  Be interested to see if anyone had any further information to confirm this.

23 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Do you remember Mr Sherwin who lived at 35, had a prewar two seater Riley Coupe, rag top that had seen better days, wire wheels. 

Must've been a bit before my time, or I was too young to be aware of it and know names.

23 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There was a story (as told by my Dad to me) probably  pre or in wartime and before HW moved there that the house was one of "ill repute".  

I've looked on old maps, and there's no building at that location until the late 1930s.....and then it's a PH  (Public House) which is an interesting discovery. It means that it started life as a pub, then became a private house, then became a pub/hotel again. 

Another well known person who was a regular on Woodbridge Ave was Neville King the ventriloquist. Late 50's early 60's he worked for Wigfalls, TV rentals. Every Saturday he would call to collect the TV rental.  My mother used to like him, always called her "Mrs Woman" which she found amusing and have a chat. He often spoke of entertaining at parties and clubs.  On his final call he did say that he was leaving and going full time entertaining.  He eventually turned up on the Black and White Minstrel Show and other TV programmes with his Dummy "Old Boy". and often turned up  on various entertainment programmes upto the 80's.   Took a bit of convincing mother that this was the same chap, until she read it in the paper..

Apart from David Pleat who used to walk up the street (Lived on Farnborough Rd at the time and always refused to kick our football) thats all I know of.

There were sales promotions as well down Woodbridge. The White Tide man, some bloke in a white suit knocked at your door, answer the question (what ever that was) and produce a pbox of Tide win a tenner.

Also "Miss Camay" in a bright pink car, usual thing produce a bar of "Camay" soap answer a question win a box of beauty products.  Both were advertised on ITV at the time.  

There were probably others nut these are the few I knew about.

• Like 2

I remember Neville King. Where I worked he was a regular collector. He was a lovely person especially if there were any children waiting to have their hair cut. We had a couple of Downs Syndrome girls and he was great with them and they with him. They would look everywhere to see where the voices were coming from. The whole salon would stop to listen to him.