I have a great memory of Neville King, the Minstrels were on at the Theatre Royal one night, early seventies. He was invited down the fire brigade bar on Shakespeare Street. He turned up after the show, walking into our bar in a "Columbo" style coat and large suitcase. Walked silently to the small stage and sat down, opened the case and brought out the dummy. We were all silent , knowing nothing about this:

Dummy is looking at us, after a while Neville asks the dummy , " What do you think of all these fireman , Norman ? "

" Fuck-em ! "

He had us in stitches for an hour, if only it had been recorded, priceless. Thanks Neville, brilliant.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another well known person who was a regular on Woodbridge Ave was Neville King the ventriloquist. Late 50's early 60's he worked for Wigfalls, TV rentals. Every Saturday he would call to collect the T

just moved from radford to clifton mid fifties. used to get beat up just fer evin them legs

Just reading Nottm post online about this bleddy bonkers youth found in Clifton with gunpowder explosives & anarchy cookbook? I knew we shouldn't have built that bridge.   http://www.not

I remember Neville King - he collected our Redifusion money and he would make our cat 'talk'.  Lovely man.

Carol Wadsley went to Clifton Hall and was in my class.  (I remember her brother drowning on holiday in the 1960s.  I saw Carol a few years back in ASDA at Arnold and I think she lives around there.

Also remember Raymond Johnson from Greencroft.

All these things/people I've not thought of in years, until being reminded on here :)

Always smartly dressed as I remember and spent time having a chat and a laugh.  Believe he used to do a fair few childrens events at the time.   Sad day for all when he left Wigfalls and we had another less entertaining collector. He was a hard act to follow.

• 3 months later...

This doesn't answer your question den, but I learned something. I'd heard of the name but wasn't sure exactly where it was.  Turns out it closed down a few years ago, and is still standing empty.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/former-nottingham-care-home-could-4052455

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

After we moved away from Sneinton (used to live at 132 Sneinton Dale until 1952) to Clifton, we used to visit No 70 for our weekly shop.  No shops in Clifton back then. Downside was my parents had to carry the shopping on a bus and back to Clifton.  The only bus stop at that time was what is now Farnboro' Road/Fabis Drive. Or for those that can remember, The Map, Sturgeon Avenue.  

Only just noticed this reference (in a thread about Sneinton). I remember The Map at Sturgeon Avenue on Clifton. It was the bus stop where we got off the bus coming back from Nottingham. One of those things which disappeared years ago, but nobody probably noticed it at the time.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Only just noticed this reference (in a thread about Sneinton). I remember The Map at Sturgeon Avenue on Clifton. It was the bus stop where we got off the bus coming back from Nottingham. One of those things which disappeared years ago, but nobody probably noticed it at the time.

If you caught a South Notts to Gotham/Loughboro'  bus from Huntingdon Street you would ask for a fare to the Map. Seemed a thing back in the day when paying your fare you would always say where you wanted to get off.