Hi Guys

I'm everso new at this,dont laugh, it took 10 mins to find out how to post a message! I'm trying to trace my ancestors that used to live (1881 ish) at Aspley Hall by the name of Ada Caroline Browne (nee Small) from what I can work out, they made net (lace?)

Any help, I would be so grateful, including links to pics would be really cool

Sally

Hi Sally

I have recently found a publication called The Basford Bystander. It's a bi-monthly paper, costs 30p an issue plus p & p. You can purchase back editions, and in numbers 72 & 73 is a 2 part story on the history of Aspley Hall. Thought this might be of interest to you.

The website is homepage.ntlworld.com/stan.smith2/index.htm or just put Basford Bystander in your search engine and it will come up for you to click on. Good luck

Kath

• 6 months later...

Hi Sally,

I hope that you're still monitoring this site. I was also looking for ancestors in 1881 and found mine, Ellen Scholes, on the 1881 census as House Keeper to Richard Birkin, head of the household at Aspley Hall. Unfortunately, Ada Browne (or Small) doesn't appear. Did you resolve your query?

All the best,

Brian

• 2 years later...

Hi Sally, I have only just come across this site. I thought you might be interested to know that 'Aspley Hall Estates Limited" still exists. And I am a Director. The Company was set up by the late Lord Mayor of Nottingham, Alderman Taylor. He set the Company up for the benefit of his children - both of whom have sadly passed away. I think the Compnay was set up in the 1930's so it may been after your ancestors? Regards, Tim Garratt

Hi Guys

I'm everso new at this,dont laugh, it took 10 mins to find out how to post a message! I'm trying to trace my ancestors that used to live (1881 ish) at Aspley Hall by the name of Ada Caroline Browne (nee Small) from what I can work out, they made net (lace?)

Any help, I would be so grateful, including links to pics would be really cool

Sally