Nottingham Boxers

Hi Michael, what a wonderfully visual and interesting piece of writing this is; I really enjoyed reading about the boxing world. When you write of Cassius Clay and his crazy words: "Man alive, I'll do him in five," I can see and hear the fantastic fella.

And then you write: 'you couldn't help but smile when Clay spoke', I agree; we all had a laugh at his antics didn't we? Such showmanship and bravado - how dare he? Here was a man who truly believed in himself. :biggrin:

PS: of course I've given you a tick for this 10/10 (excuse me if I seem like a teacher!)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham has a fine boxing history,from Bendigo,Reg king,Wally Swift,Johnie Pritchet,Dave Needham,Roy smith,Delroy Bryan,Jason Booth,Nicky Booth,Shane mcphilbin,Errol Graham,Kirkland Laing and Carl

One of Nottingham’s most gifted fighters RIP Kirkland Laing x  

The Great International Sporting Club was a grand evening out at the Albany. Strictly dinner jackets and men only. There was a banquet dinner followed by a famous comedian of the likes of Bob Monkhous

Posted Images

My Granddad used to box, Im not sure if he was pro, but I think he may have been back in the day, and there was always a tenuous family link to Bendigo that no one ever got to the bottom of.... My granddads name was James Thompson, better known as Jimmy 'the tiger' Thompson, sadly he is no longer with us, but does the name ring any bells? (pun not intended)

I have tried a little, but I have unfortunately lost touch with the vast majority of my family in recent years so getting definitive answers has proved... Difficult. I was hoping more to find if anyone remembered my grandad as its more recent history though I can't seem to find anything regarding him on the old interweb :)

I suggest you visit the library and search Ancestry.com, if they have access for library members?

Or you can get a free 14day subscription and cancel prior to them charging your card.

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/popularmedia/hs1.aspx?o_iid=48737&o_lid=48737&o_sch=Web+Property

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seem to remember a local boxer back in the late 50s-early 60s by the name of Downes, first name of Terry or Tim. Used to see his name on the fight posters around Nottingham for upcoming events but listed down the bottom of the poster on support bouts.

School mate of mine, Doug Downes, said it was his brother...'Our kid'.

Anybody recall this fighter and what became of him?

Please, this is a serious question and the name is right so no jokes about Knock Downes etc.

Thanks Cliff ton.

I had discounted that Terry Downes as he was a Paddington boy born in 36. Looking at his career, I thought he would not be fighting in support bouts in the late 50s when he held the British Middleweight Title in 58.

Probably more likely it was Tim Downes?

• 1 month later...

As a lad I would visit the Jumble sales, mostly returning with a valve radio with Shortwave. I would spend hours tuning through the ether.

I wonder perhaps would they transmit for Forces stationed overseas? USB/AM?

Correct Mick, he used to run all the barrow boys in town. He was a pro boxer for a while but hgot a bit punch drunk near the end, he also did the boxing booths down the Fair. My mate usedf to live next door to him up Clifton, so I got to know him quite well, he really was a nice bloke when you got to know him, eh, but don't cross him. Unfortuantely he is now in the the big boxing ring in the sky.

I know this is an old posting but I came across it whilst browsing the boxing thread, it concerns Johnny Larvin (Carrington) I lived near to him in the 30's he lived on Alderton Road, Edwards Lane estate. You can take it from me he was not a nice bloke at least not in his youth, he was a couple of years older than me an my mates and used to delight in lying in wait and beating you up if you couldn't run fast enough and throwing stones at you if you were at a distance, his mate Dopey Harvey was just as bad. Johnny's dad was also a boxer known as Seaman Carrington, his mum Mary was a bit of a rough one too often sporting a black eye

Dennis

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: I know I shouldn't laugh Nottinghamite but the chaps* you write of: Johnny Larvin (Carrington) and his mate Dopey Harvey, sound like a couple of bullies whose antics could have featured regularly in either the 'Beano' or 'Dandy' - a case of where real life echoes art! :biggrin:

* 'chaps', used this word as it is in danger of becoming defunct.

• 9 months later...

Bendigo used to bare knuckle fight, I believe in Sneinton also at Bendigo's ring - now a small copse surrounded by Top Valley houses.

Bendigo's ring is actually within Bestwood Part rather than Top Valley. It is encircled by Mosswood Crescent. On the map, it's currently called Glade Hill although Bendigo's Ring was still the local name when I lived there. I have a very old book that suggests this name is actually very old, although I've no idea how it is associated with Bendigo himself.

• 3 months later...

Nottingham has a fine boxing history,from Bendigo,Reg king,Wally Swift,Johnie Pritchet,Dave Needham,Roy smith,Delroy Bryan,Jason Booth,Nicky Booth,Shane mcphilbin,Errol Graham,Kirkland Laing and Carl Froch,but dont let us forget where most of em learned their craft,and thats the local ametuer clubs run by dedicated men and women who do it for the love of the sport,The old Radford boys club being a prime example which was run by the smith family at the white horse,then theres phoenix in Gedling,Bennys,st.georges and many more. local pro boxers are coming thru all the time,most wont become big names they might become journeymen boxers without which pro boxing would not exist.one of my sons was one such,he had 100 pro fights and kept going because he loved the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

My name is Lynda, John Larvin was my Father my mum had me before John was married, I met him in the late 70s he used to come and see me. I first met him in Long Eaton.

He told me he had children and one was called Linda. His wife did not know about me so I never got in touch. I wonder if anyone has got any information about his children as I would love to meet my half sisters.

He was a lovely bloke, when I first met him we sat in a café he cried said he didn't want me to be adopted. There was no chance he was not my Dad we had the same funny thumbs and anyone who knew him would know what I mean.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information to get in touch.

• Upvote 2

Used to know Barry Larvin of old basrord played football with him for Park tavern,he be in his 70s now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks but Johns children would be in their 50s

Hi Lyna, Johnny Larvin is my fathers Uncle.

There is still some Larvin's around, were not technically Larvins as Flo Larvin is my Dads Aunty and took care of him and his brothers and sisters when his mother died.

I know a little about that side of the Family but ill speak to my Dad, I think Herbert Larvin who's my Dads uncle (but more like a father as he raised him) is Johnny's brother.

Ill speak to him :)

If you like email me : ==========

• 1 year later...

Harry Paulson 1819_1890 born in newark, the family moved to sneinton around 1826 a bare knuckled prize fighter and the friend bendigo asked for on his death bed, and more importantly my great great grand dad.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Nottinghamite #70 You say you lived near, and knew well, Johnny Larvin of Alderton Road, in the late `thirties. I lived on that

road, born 1940. As you are older than myself, I trust that you are still well and hope that you are still active on this site.

Do you recall what number the Larvins lived at, or if not, the position on the road?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...