Nottingham Boxers

I was told in the 60's that Wally Swift the Boxer ran The Grand for a while.

I don't know if this is true?

Wally Swift

Sex Male

Nationality United Kingdom

Hometown Nottingham

Division Middleweight

Date of Birth 1936-08-10

won 68 (14 ko's) - lost 17 - drawn 3 - tot

Sorry unable to find an image of Wally

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham has a fine boxing history,from Bendigo,Reg king,Wally Swift,Johnie Pritchet,Dave Needham,Roy smith,Delroy Bryan,Jason Booth,Nicky Booth,Shane mcphilbin,Errol Graham,Kirkland Laing and Carl

One of Nottingham’s most gifted fighters RIP Kirkland Laing x  

The Great International Sporting Club was a grand evening out at the Albany. Strictly dinner jackets and men only. There was a banquet dinner followed by a famous comedian of the likes of Bob Monkhous

Posted Images

And here is the most famous...

'You didn't know of Bendigo?

Well, that knocks me out!

Who's your Board School teacher?

What's he been about?

Chock a block with fairy tales -

Full of useless cram,

And never heard of Bendigo,

The pride of Nottingham.'

Bendigo's Sermon

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

bendigo.gif MORE lion_tomb.jpg

In Memory of

WILLIAM THOMPSON

'Bendigo,'

of Nottingham

who died August 23rd 1880

Aged 69 years

In life always brave,

fighting like a lion:

In death like a lamb,

tranquil in Zion.

Death of Bendigo

Bendigo, a once celebrated pugilist and winner of eight prize fights within the year, died yesterday evening at Beeston, Notts, aged 69. His death was occasioned by a fracture of the ribs which penetrated the lungs. Of late years the deceased had been a preacher and was well-known as a leader of revivalist services.

Are there any other Boxers from Nottingham, apart from the obvious

The famous Bendigo?

I remember seeing the statue of "Bendigo" when we used to go & visit my gran. She lived on Caldwell Terrace,we used to walk around there all the time. As a child I was fascinated by the lights & the smell of the pub where it was situated. In those days public houses had a smell didn't they or am I getting sentimental??

I wonder if that's where Bendigo in Victoria got it's name, now that would be fascinating if there was a nottm connection ;)

• 4 weeks later...

B) The conection with Bendigo in Victoria Australia is a very tenuous one with the Boxer here in Nottingham if you read below you will see what i mean.. B)

Bendigo had modest beginnings as a sheep station, the Southern area of which was run by a massive fan of English boxing Champion, William Abednego Thompson. Thompson's middle name, Abednego was a Biblical name which few could prounounce and it's 'corrupted' pronounciation became 'Bendigo', a nickname the shepard of the region was given due to his idolisation of Thompson.

B) I hope that has satisfied your curiosity..Caz.. ;)

post-12-1107900860_thumb.jpg

And thus spoke BiP :P

Yer University of Life upbringing is showing BiP ;)

as in Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego!

Abednego

Meaning: servant of Nego = Nebo.

This was the Chaldee name given to Azariah, one of Daniel's three companions (Dan. 2:49). With Shadrach and Meshach, he was delivered from the burning fiery furnace (3:12-30).

Wir Awl Dooooomed! :o pDan0328Dore_ShadrachMeshachAndAbednegoInFurnace.jpg

ANYONE FER A BARBIE?

• 2 weeks later...

B) While we are on the subject of boxers i came across this old photo of one at me mams the other day. When she was a young lass her and her dad would listen to the boxing comming live from America on the radio in the early hours of the morning, whats his name ??.....

post-12-1108946638_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's no good bip! .. although you know we're all ardent sports fanatics on this site, this one has left us entirely stumped!

I've tried to reseach him, but come up with absolutely nowt!

any chance of a leetle clew? .. year? .. fights? .. first or last name? :D

ilko..

B) Hi Ilko i thought this one had gone the way of the quiz's i had set. Forgotten. <_<

:ph34r: He had his first official fight at 12 years old...

:ph34r: He fought Joe Louis and took him the full distance of 15 rounds....

:ph34r: He died on the 1st March 1986..

:ph34r: The photo below is of Joe Louis and the mistery boxer...

:D You should get his name from them clues Ilko...

post-12-1110485132_thumb.jpg

B) I've done it again Ilko gave you too much information...

:D To tell you the truth when me mum showed me the picture i had no clue who he was until she told me...Then i had to do some research to give you those clues..

:ph34r: When me mum told me that her and her dad use to listen to the fights comming live from America on the radio in the early hours of the morning i was gob smacked. Never new me mum was interested in Boxing or her dad was, all this in the 30s..just shows that you never really know your parients until something like this crops up.... :D

:o That web site is the same one i used for the info gathering....

post-12-1110536378_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Bendigo used to bare knuckle fight, I believe in Sneinton also at Bendigo's ring - now a small copse surrounded by Top Valley houses.

Thanks Alan

His ring was at Top Valley?

Is there a plaque?

We could do with an image here.

Digital camera anyone in 'TV land'

(Sorry, Old CB term)

B) I've done it again Ilko gave you too much information...

:D To tell you the truth when me mum showed me the picture i had no clue who he was until she told me...Then i had to do some research to give you those clues..

:ph34r: When me mum told me that her and her dad use to listen to the fights comming live from America on the radio in the early hours of the morning i was gob smacked. Never new me mum was interested in Boxing or her dad was, all this in the 30s..just shows that you never really know your parients until something like this crops up.... :D

:o That web site is the same one i used for the info gathering....

Sorry to burst your bubble Den, but they couldn't have listened to live matches over the radio from the States them days.

Takes me back to when I was a junior at Blue Bell Hill Junior school. The teachers would leave the Redifusion speakers in the halls at lunchtime so as we could listen to the Ashes matches "live" from Australia...Hmmmm yeh... they knew how to use "sound effects!!

It wasn't until the 1970's that real live broadcast were possible across the globe.

I watched a short, the first, live broadcast in the 70's from the USA to the UK and Europe. Eurovision song contest??? via Telstar?? which wasn't a geosyncrynus satellite, so they only had about a half an hour window.

There could be one possiblilty of hearing a match though Den, shortwave radio IF the sunspot cycle is right!

As a lad I would visit the Jumble sales, mostly returning with a valve radio with Shortwave. I would spend hours tuning through the ether.

I wonder perhaps would they transmit for Forces stationed overseas? USB/AM?

Anyone remember 'Johnny Carrington' real name 'Johnny Larvin' he used to live up Clifton?

Correct Mick, he used to run all the barrow boys in town. He was a pro boxer for a while but hgot a bit punch drunk near the end, he also did the boxing booths down the Fair. My mate usedf to live next door to him up Clifton, so I got to know him quite well, he really was a nice bloke when you got to know him, eh, but don't cross him. Unfortuantely he is now in the the big boxing ring in the sky.

Johnny Carrington

Sex Male

Nationality British

Alias Jimmy?

Birthplace Nottingham, England

Division Lightweight

Date of Birth 1928-10-05

Date of Death 1993-09-10

Age at Death 64

W 38 (10 ko's) | L 28 | D 8 | Total 74

http://www.boxrec.com/

Sorry Ayup......The Louis/Farr title fight from the Yankee Stadium was broadcast and listened to by thousands in the UK, Farr lost by the narrowest margin to the "Brown Bomber" ....and this was when Joe was at his peak.

Cheers.........r-s.

• 1 year later...