Nottingham Boxers

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham has a fine boxing history,from Bendigo,Reg king,Wally Swift,Johnie Pritchet,Dave Needham,Roy smith,Delroy Bryan,Jason Booth,Nicky Booth,Shane mcphilbin,Errol Graham,Kirkland Laing and Carl

One of Nottingham’s most gifted fighters RIP Kirkland Laing x  

The Great International Sporting Club was a grand evening out at the Albany. Strictly dinner jackets and men only. There was a banquet dinner followed by a famous comedian of the likes of Bob Monkhous

Posted Images

My grandma (who's maiden name was Thompson) always said we were related to Bendigo in a round-about way of some sort.  You know what I mean - his father's cousins cousin was our great aunt's uncle's cousin twice removed sort of thing.  Grandma always told some tall tales but they usually had a grain of truth in them.  I have tried, but have never been able to prove a link.

• 2 months later...
On 24/01/2006 at 8:00 PM, pemberton said:

Anyone remember 'Johnny Carrington' real name 'Johnny Larvin' he used to live up Clifton?

On 24/01/2006 at 8:08 PM, mick2me said:

The name Larvin rings a bell    Market Traders?

On 24/01/2006 at 8:21 PM, pemberton said:

Correct Mick, he used to run all the barrow boys in town. He was a pro boxer for a while but hgot a bit punch drunk near the end, he also did the boxing booths down the Fair. My mate usedf to live next door to him up Clifton, so I got to know him quite well, he really was a nice bloke when you got to know him, eh, but don't cross him. Unfortuantely he is now in the the big boxing ring in the sky.

A newcomer who has not registered (known only as "Guest") has posted a message referring to the above posts.

This is my dad, my name is Jennifer a Larvin. I live in london now.

It had been posted in 'Report' rather than 'Reply' which is why it got lost.

• 6 months later...

This message has been wrongly posted in the Boxers thread as a 'Report', which means no-one apart from staff will ever see it.   I've copied it to here to give it a chance of getting a response.

Hi,

My name is Lynda, John Larvin was my Father my mum had me before John was married, I met him in the late 70s he used to come and see me. I first met him in Long Eaton.

He told me he had children and one was called Linda. His wife did not know about me so I never got in touch. I wonder if anyone has got any information about his children as I would love to meet my half sisters.

He was a lovely bloke, when I first met him we sat in a café he cried said he didn't want me to be adopted. There was no chance he was not my Dad we had the same funny thumbs and anyone who knew him would know what I mean.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information to get in touch.

• Like 1

It is VERY unwise to publish email addresses and/or phone numbers on forums.

Unscrupulous websites use all sorts of methods for scouring the Internet for such information to use for nefarious purposes.

I suggest that you urgently ask the admin to remove these details and then direct all contact to you via the private messaging facility on here.

• Like 1

I would repeat what jonab said in the previous post.

I've removed the posts which contained phone numbers. If anyone wants to contact another member on this subject, either do it via a post on this thread or use the PM facility.

The only Larvin family I remember, lived on Alfred st central. They were quite a large (numerically) family as I remember.

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2017 at 9:07 AM, Cliff Ton said:

A newcomer who has not registered (known only as "Guest") has posted a message referring to the above posts.

This is my dad, my name is Jennifer a Larvin. I live in london now.

It had been posted in 'Report' rather than 'Reply' which is why it got lost.

Hi, I have only just found this answer.

Jennifer are you saying Johnny Larvin is your dad if that's right then you must be my half sister if this is right I would love to get in touch with you. Love Lynda.

Trying to follow this convoluted thread and just had a quick look at the Birth / Marriage lists .

Theres a 1945 marriage for a John Larvin to a Josey Cambourne and then a further marriage for

John Henry Larvin who married a Ruth Spencer in 1951 in Nottingham . There is a birth for a Jennifer Larvin in 1953 with mothers maiden name Spencer .

There's another marriage in 1973 for a John Henry Larvin to Dorothy Barron .

(If you Google his name there are pics of their gravestone at Carlton Cemetery.)

. Prior to that wedding ,  there were births for the following children with mothers maiden name Barron who are probably connected :

Edward V. born 1957

Linda born 1959

Alan F born 1966 .

Johnny Carrington (John Henry Larvin) and his wifes memorial stone at Carlton Cemetery

blogger-image--857816779.jpg

• Like 1
On 09/04/2018 at 1:15 PM, Lyndajt said:

Hi, I have only just found this answer.

Jennifer are you saying Johnny Larvin is your dad if that's right then you must be my half sister if this is right I would love to get in touch with you. Love Lynda.

I would like to ask admin to email this lady Jennifer for me anyone know how to go about this I'm not very good on computer it my age lol.

Lyndajt,

Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible. The lady who post the message - Jennifer A Larvin - didn't register on Nottstalgia as a member, she only came in as a 'Guest'. That means she is anonymous and we don't have any way of tracing her. The only possibility is that she may return to Nottstalgia and see the posts which have been made since her visit, and that might encourage her to become a registered member.

I may be wrong in this (I am in France and somewhat out of touch with current English things) but isn't this one of the things that Jeremy Kyle does i.e. find lost relatives?

May have mentioned this before - I saw Johnny Carrington quite often when he was out running. He would come down Southey St., or from the Forest, into Lake St and then up Peveril St. I ran alongside him a few times for a minute or so. I would be about ten and he was probably 20. He never told me to bugger off, just nodded, like saying eyup.  I asked him if he was boxing on the booth at Goose Fair, he said "they won't let me", whoever 'they' were.

They'' would be the British Boxing Board of control PP,.........One of my sons was a Pro boxer with over 100 fights to his name..........and they had many constrictions of where who and when he could fight.......which i think is a good thing...health wise as much as anything else..

Edit.........i would add he takes after his Mam.......lol..........

• Like 1

Lyndajt are you on Facebook ? 

There's a Jennifer Larvin living Ealing London who looks about the right age . 

If you read her comments she mentions "going to a big fair in Nottingham" with her sister . 

Might be worth sending a PM to her , asking if her father was a boxer ??

Lynda ,  this appears to show a reply to (assume) you from March 3rd .

It appears she has two Facebook accounts , one using her maiden name and one using her married name .She even has a quote from Nottstalgia on her page !

https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.larvin.5

• Upvote 1

Thanks for letting us know .

It's very odd , it almost looks as though what Jennifer has written about Johhny Carrington on her FB home page (link above) was meant to have been written here on this thread .

Jennifer on her page was also wondering about her grandfather (Johhnys dad) also a boxer called Seaman Carrington who boxed after WW1 and into the 1920s . She believed he died in the ring but that doesn't seem to be true as in the 1940s he was a street barrow boy selling fruit and veg outside of St.Peters Church . He died in 1947 .

"DEATH of SEAMAN CARRINGTON. The death has taken place of a wellknown and popular Nottingham boxing figure of the years following the first world war. Seaman Carrington, who figured in many leading items on the bills 
04 June 1947 - Nottingham Evening Post"
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Yet again in this thread............a person who has not registered - only posted as a Guest - has left this message which would not be seen unless I copied it into here.

Johnny Henry Larvin. Boxing name Carrington, from Nottingham is my father. I am one of his 7 children. 2 in London. 4 Nottingham. I in Derby. Surnames Tomlinson. Larvin. And Spencer.

• Like 2

Almost nervous about asking this question, but here goes. I was wondering if it was the same Larvin family that used to live on..... Alfred st central?. Can only remember Pat Larvin as she used to work for my father, but if I remember correctly, they were a large family.

• Like 1