Nottingham Boxers

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham has a fine boxing history,from Bendigo,Reg king,Wally Swift,Johnie Pritchet,Dave Needham,Roy smith,Delroy Bryan,Jason Booth,Nicky Booth,Shane mcphilbin,Errol Graham,Kirkland Laing and Carl

One of Nottingham’s most gifted fighters RIP Kirkland Laing x  

The Great International Sporting Club was a grand evening out at the Albany. Strictly dinner jackets and men only. There was a banquet dinner followed by a famous comedian of the likes of Bob Monkhous

Posted Images

One of my sons who had 100 pro fights........was a friend of Nicks from way back...Radford boys club run by the Smith Brothers...

Hes away at the moment so probably doesn't know,,will be upset..hes the 3rd boxing friend thats Died in the last two years.............all much too young.............

• Like 1

Does that say something about the ‘sport’ of boxing though? I used to watch boxing years ago at the ‘Great International Sporting Club, promoted by Reg King. With maturity you do realise that a sport which involves punching your opponent in head can’t be right.

Always loved Boxing........but you are right Phil.......ive changed my mind over the years.......I;ve known many who have suffered from it.....My son is still involved with Training and Promoting.....

• 2 weeks later...

Wally's Mam used to shop in Marsdens Lower Parliament street served her a couple of times back in 65....

Oh yes Wife just reminded me........a famous Nottingham Boxer came to our house about 95...and asked us to look after his 'Lonsdale Belt''  he was scared he might be tempted to sell it.........bless him........

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

No Phil.........after Reg King..but it was at the Albany..my company did the Security......Kirkland was a special guest along with 2 or 3 other famous Boxers......

• Like 1

The Great International Sporting Club was a grand evening out at the Albany. Strictly dinner jackets and men only. There was a banquet dinner followed by a famous comedian of the likes of Bob Monkhouse. Much bluer than on tv! The evening concluded with a couple of boxing matches. The bouts were conducted in absolute silence with just polite applause between the rounds. The audience were mainly businessmen and professionals but a few of the rogues from the scrap trade were usually there.

They did hold an annual ladies evening. I remember chatting to Roy Castle at such an event.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Even if you don't like boxing.....watch this right thru.....you will enjoy.........Hes a fighter from Derby who trains at Mike Shinfields Gym in Somercotes...........

Nice one Ben! Like all big heads, he soon got his come uppance. A bit like that other big head, Prince Naseem, (what ever happened to him?). Was Uzzy wearing a duvet or barrel shorts.

• 8 months later...