What was your first car?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be a bit more patriotic, years ago the british used to fly in wellingtons now anything goes, trainers, flip flops.

When being a kid was much simpler   

Tip for all the Audi gang if you move your seat forward more you could get even closer to my bumper.

Posted Images

BIP, the NSU 1200 TT was my 2nd car!

It was part of the Audi NSU group, was air cooled and rear engined.

Mine was the " go faster 2 carb and tuned version" Basically the larger 1200cc engine put into the 1000 body, with things like a rev counter added, in fact i think that was the only "sporty" thing they did add!

A guy i did karate with at the time also had one, and informed me the 0 to 50 time was as quick as the E type Jag of the time!

In heavy winds i used to stick a 56lb bag of sand in the boot (at the front )

1957 Triang pedal car, But seriously, first car? Reliant Robin followed by two more, until I passed my test for a "proper Car" then got a newish Rover 216 SLI followed by Vauxhalls as well as the company Toyota Hi Lux pickup, one thing about the Reliant though, they made you realise how vulnerable you are on todays roads, you don't have to rely on air bags, traction control, ABS etc to make you safe on the road, you had to rely on your skills as a driver

Rog

Our first car was a little mini. We had been on bikes for nearly 10 years and then i got pregnant with my daughter so we had to get a car. In fact we were out one saturday night at the astor club at blidworth when my waters broke and we had to come rushing back home to call an ambulance. I got to the hospital with half an hour to spare and my daughter was born.

My first car was a Mini Traveller. It would be about '72 ish, and it was well used before I got it. It seemed in no time at all, the floor started to go and you could see daylight through the holes! I never had a car of my own again until around '85, I had a black MG Metro with red stripes. You never see them on the roads anymore over there, they must all be on the scrap heap.

• 1 year later...

mine was very nearly a Standard Vanguard,,,, but my Dad talked me out of it (thanks dad).

It ended up being a Riley Pathfinder ! A hell of a car for 25 quid,,,, & a hell of a car for a 17 year old !

,,,, and as if to prove it,,,, they don't mix too well with lamp posts on Westdale Lane,,,,,,,,,

'57 Ford popular.

Bought it from a buddy at work for 15 pounds!

It was hand painted in bright blue Valspar. Patched it up and treated it like a baby for almost three years. Sold it for more than I paid for it when I moved to Canada.

Great old banger.

I once worked out that I had driven (in 1984) 350,000 miles without ever having owned a car!!! then I swapped a motor bike for a Rapier Alpine 1800cc , it didn't last log!!

Mine was a 1957 Austin A35 - I paid $35 for it! It was great, although I did rebuild the engine and my dad helped me respray it (BRG body and a white roof) - it looked great! Sold it two years later to buy a mini (big mistake), but I got $45 for it! I used to see it around Long Eaton a lot in the following years - the owner lived on Russel Street. Some years later I found out that he kept it the rest of his life - he must have driven it for 15 years after I sold it!

Some years later I found out that he kept it the rest of his life - he must have driven it for 15 years after I sold it!

Talking of longevity, my car before last (Mercedes 230 Estate) I ran for 21 years. It was still going strong when I sold it, and it went out to Africa, where the "Super-mechanics" are known to keep things running for 20/30/40 years.

I'd love to think it was still running,,,, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

Talking of Africa, Amir Khan phoned me the other day asking what I wanted for my suzuki supercarry, when I told him he said too dear as he "flat packed" them to africa, when I asked whar he meant he said they angle grinded the roof off then folded sides front and rear in etc after further angle grinds! then piled them one on top of another 4 high in a container and shipped them off! Once there and unloaded they bent everything back up, and a few welds later on the road! true story but not THE Amir Khan

Talking of Africa, Amir Khan phoned me the other day asking what I wanted for my suzuki supercarry, when I told him he said too dear as he "flat packed" them to africa, when I asked whar he meant he said they angle grinded the roof off then folded sides front and rear in etc after further angle grinds! then piled them one on top of another 4 high in a container and shipped them off! Once there and unloaded they bent everything back up, and a few welds later on the road! true story but not THE Amir Khan

Yep,,, it's a well know practice of Car Thieves as well,,,, it seems such a shame,,,,,, they even cut up NEW cars - inc Beamers, Jags & Mercedes etc,,,, just to get more in the containers.