What was your first car?

My first car was a big maroon coloured Vauxhall Wyvern. It had one long seat in the front as well as the back. It was really spacious and a great car to drive.

trevorthegasman, I had to laugh at your comment regarding the tarpaulin.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be a bit more patriotic, years ago the british used to fly in wellingtons now anything goes, trainers, flip flops.

When being a kid was much simpler   

Tip for all the Audi gang if you move your seat forward more you could get even closer to my bumper.

Posted Images

4571633247_7ffe5809ce_b.jpg?t=1336007219 Just found some old 35mm Photos of my first car back in 1969/70 a 1967 Pontiac Parisienne Fastback built in Oshawa.
  • Upvote 1

My first car was a 1958 Ford Squire - bought for £99 from a used car firm at the corner of Broad Street, Long Eaton in 1967. Three speed gearbox with crazy ratios, 1172cc side valve engine, and hissing air-operated windscreen wipers that slowed down when accelerating, and stopped altogether if you changed down and really clogged it. I guess it would manage about 33mpg driven carefully on a good day, downhill, out of gear and with a following wind!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The 'old mans' last car A123 ERA (his retirement present to himself) was a Maestro it lasted our kid brother long after my dads premature death in 90

I had an ERA car too: ERA 25C a Mk1 Cortina. My first car was a Morris 1000 Traveller complete with grass growing out of the corners of the woodwork 109 MAA - wish I still had that registration! Prior to that I owned a Reliant Supervan III but I don't count that as a car.

Once had an Austin A40 with the reg: ERY 4C .....................................my mates used tpo add 'skin' to the end of the reg..................funny if said quickly..........................I'll get me coat............

• Upvote 1

Once had SAU 513G and I couldn't believe how many folk said it looked like 'Sausage'.

Passed my test in 73' in High Wycombe,and living in Beaconsfield at the time, bought my brother-in-laws car, a Bull Nosed Morris DMT 53 complete with split windscreen and indicator arms, thats when you indicate with your own arm if the fancy took you, and it was'nt to cold.

Oddly no, all sorts of people commented. I could never really understand why they saw Sausage in the plate but obiously they did.

Compo, what's an 'obiously', not been at the grape or grain I hope................................... :unsure:

Compo's dictionary of almost correct words:

Obiously: Adverb. To be an absolute or a certainty. Similar to Obviously but without the 'V'.

Spoken like a true gent!.................Hic!.............I'm in a very benevolent (Shiraz) mood

Steady on Paulus mate - it's only half past eight - there's several hours to go until falling down time!

Beat the rush!! that's my motto........................get your place on the floor, before the amateurs get there

I'm just chillaxing................ slywink

It was precisely that kind of behaviour that got me thrown out of a bar in Cape Town during apartheid days! I just wanted to sit down and there were no seats available - so I sat in a corner. Two heavies picked me up and threw me out. Had to explain to the South African woman I was with that you are not a man unless you have been thrown out of a bar.

thumbsup

our first car 1984\5 a ford escourt estate blue in coulour only remember the last three letters of the reg were dtl dave thumps lee that how i always remembered it. dave had not long past his test when we brought it second hand. i think we have had 5 more cars since then four of them second hand but the car we have now was brand new when we had it nearly 3 years ago and it is due for renew it in september need to start looking round soon and decide what car to have after that

• 4 months later...

First car was a 1958 Ford Squire 100E estate car (you know - the three speed box and comic windscreen wipers). Bought for £99 from a small dealer at the corner of Broad Street, Long Eaton in 1967 shortly after passing my test. Cream with a red stripe.

The wipers all but stopped in lower gear uphills...........................worked on a vacuum pump system from the engine?

• 4 weeks later...

My first vehicle was a Ford Thames van circa 1950's, not the big one, the 5cwt one, I bought it in 66 for 35 pounds, sidevalve engine wacky window wipers (vacuum driven), 3 speed box. 2nd gear was too low 3rd too high ! Woodborough road hill was a real crawl.

Puce green in colour but it was all mine and a big step up from a Lambretta ! Used to leave an oil heater thing hanging in the engine compartment when winter came to stop it freezing up.

I passed my test in a Vauxall Viva as I daren't take it in the Ford. Had 6 lessons so I could use the driving school car.

Ar kid had a Mars Bar Viva. Found out eventually that it had it's underside riveted on and undersealed to hide it. bought it from a dealer in Nottingham too!

Do you remember in the old broadsheet Nottingham Evenine Post on a Friday there would be pages and pages of private line ads for cars of all descriptions - often two or three columns of Ford Populars (the pre-100E model) - at prices ranging from about £25 to £100 depending on age and condition.