What was your first car?

My first car was a 1963 Vauxhall Cresta 2.3 with 6 cylinders. With column change and handbrake on the right. Long bench seat at the front. We didn't need the back seat. Trouble is, I bought it off a fat bloke....sorry.....rather portly gentleman in Clifton and I had to stuff 4 cushions into the dent he left on the driver's end of the bench seat. My missus used to have hysterics when she saw me coming down the road in it. It was a lovely car but needed lots of work doing on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be a bit more patriotic, years ago the british used to fly in wellingtons now anything goes, trainers, flip flops.

When being a kid was much simpler   

Tip for all the Audi gang if you move your seat forward more you could get even closer to my bumper.

Posted Images

1933 MG. J2. Black & Red. Cost £40, insurance £40. This was in 1963.

• 3 weeks later...

GIGA, you are not alone!

My first car was a brown Robin Reliant.

I got it cause I could drive it with my motorbike licence. Loved it to bits, and drove it for several years, unitl a young lassie caught me attention, and felt the need to upgrade to a bigger car, to allow for youthful activities that were developing within me.

Don't laugh - I swapped it for a Skoda Estelle (A right load of crap).

After I'd had it for a few weeks, I was driving (stuttering really) along Edwards Lane and it dawned on me that I had not got a full licence! Oh deary me.

Booked in for a test, got one quickly luckily.

So fully legal I pursued my love of driving, even in the Skoda. She eventually gave up the ghost, and I bought a rust-bucket... I mean Austin Maxi, and the gal left me!

Hehehe!

Our first car was in ........1972 an Austin 1100 H reg 1970

1976 an Austin Maxi M reg 1974

Followed by.........Austin Maxi...Mini Cooper...Mini Clubman...Lada...3x Metros...Fiat Punto, now we have a Fiesta.

The best of the lot so far is the Ford Fiesta 08 Diesel that we have now, done 113.000 miles in five yrs, we do a lot of country side exploring, so our cars clock up a lot of miles quickly.

Our mileage has dropped in recent years - with free rail travel, bus passes, and my wife's Romahome for long trips, we are down to about 7,000 a year in the Xsara HDi - which now has 129,000 miles on the clock. We've had it from new, 12 years ago, and it's only once let us down (steering rack problem) about 8 years ago. It runs a dream, returns about 55mpg, and I struggle to think of a reason not to hang on to it.

• 7 months later...

My first car was a 1932 Austin 7 paid 25 quid for it that was back in 1957,my next car was a 1936 Morris 8 Tourer a year later.Then oh my a 1939 3 1/2 litre SS Jaguar paid 75 quid for it paid it off to the local garage at a quid a week,I was only 18 and a young apprentice mechanic ,wish I owned the beast now, but I do have a model of one

That reminds me - steering column gearchange just went out of fashion all of a sudden.

A few cars now have the gear change coming out of the dashboard. I used to have a Renault 4 like that.

• 4 weeks later...

An ancient A35! Black of course, with little orange arms that swung out indicating its intention to turn. Hey, have you noticed that even 'old banger' cars back then were so expensive they were bought in hope of lasting forever, but we had to paint black strips along the bottom of the doors to cover the rust? I used to do mine and my dad asked were they 'go faster' stripes? Oddly things that used to last forever, now don't? I have go faster stripes along the bottom of my 3 yr old Hotpoint fridge!

I had an old 50s something or other 'Austin' with the 'sticky out indicators,went out ok,but the bleddy things would'nt go back in,so had to put my arm out and do it manually,which was alright on the drivers side,but it did'nt impress your date,when you asked her to do the same on her side,LOL.

• Upvote 1

Know what you mean Benjamin about those trafficators! My friend had a 1936 Ford 8 with non working trafficators so hand signals were the order of the day, but unfortunately the Windows only wound down about six inches so it was quite an art which had to be mastered.

• Upvote 1

The only hand signals in use today seem to be the 'V' sign and that one with a 'clenched fist' going up and down,whatever that means!?

• Upvote 1

My first car was a big maroon coloured Vauxhall Wyvern. It had one long seat in the front as well as the back. It was really spacious and a great car to drive.

Had a Ford Zehphur a bit like that Michael, just for the 'Summer' of 64',convertable,music of Fabian andd Rick Nelson booming out,i thought i was 'Cats Whisker' back then,...........it was much later,when i realised i was Paul Anka........... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

my first car was a ford pop paid 25quid for it, took it for an mot at the garage just round the corner from the first railway crossing in netherfield

can't remember the name, same street as the constitutional club. it failed on an orange reflector back light instead of red. I believe in those days they were called midwive cars. I don't know why.

• 5 months later...

1956 Austin A30 van. 803cc. Zenith carb. Black. PNN 756 cost £5. in 1967.

Bought with a hole in the cylinder head and 4 flat tyres. No mot and the handbrake tore out of the floor on first use.

It ran quieter than a Rolls Royce and did 70MPG. How I missed her !

After a year I got £20 P/ex on a Standard Ensign for £80.

• 4 weeks later...

the first car I had was a 1951 Vauxhall Wyvern L " the Heartbeat taxi shape" I did try to buy the actual Heartbeat taxi my bid was the highest but they decided to take it off the market, so I settled for a 1950 MG Y .We call her doris she is in showroom condition we are very proud of her

The first car I had was a MG Y that too was 1950, registration LNE 36.bought in 1966 for £20 drove it back from Newthorpe with dodgy brakes had to pump them to stop, got as far as forest road traffic lights before they packed in.had to use the back of a Ford anglia then.did'nt do much damage to the MG, but cost me a new bumper for the anglia.really liked the MG had two more over the years.

• Upvote 2